New obsessions to occupy your time

digital_denim

I second the peacoat thing. Ive been looking for one all over Seattle this summer. Barneys is all Ive had luck with. Theres got to be a cheaper option without sacrificing quality...

There is a very simple way to find a quality pea coat. I went through the same thing last winter myself... then i decided to hit the army navy stores to check out the real stuff. I'm tall, so I couldn't find a coat in a Long that fit me perfectly. I ended up with a Sterlingwear Pea Coat that i got here:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/pea_coats.htm

Returned the first one I bought for a smaller size... I wanted the fitted look and old school large collar they feature in one of their models. Now I would have loved the pick-stitched Pea Coat by Yojhi I spotted at Saks last year... but at 1/8 the cost, and by a real military supplier... It doesn't get much better or more authentic than what I copped.

That said... the coat went great with the RRDS and the Black Double Harness Boots I rocked last winter. I guess you could say I went on an authentic trip last winter... everything had to be in its original and best format... not a knockoff or some warmed over and overpriced version of an classic.

Now if I can just get those Indy's off my mind, I'll be able to get through another cold season in peace.

What other "authentic" gear do ya'll think the cognoscenti should be rocking?

-Trapped

TrappedInDC thanks for the advice...Ive heard those surplus stores are the way to go when it comes to peacoats. I just hope they arent "too" warm..it doesnt get too cold here in Seattle. That was their main selling point for the one Ive been looking at from Barneys. Its a cotton peacoat by miu miu. do you happen to know if many companies make cotton peacoats? I really dont want to drop $850 on a single item. I need to buy some boots, etc. The $150ish surplus store prices sound a little more enticing..

been obsessing about boots, but I just snagged a pair of Dior motorcycle boots in black so that'll keep me for a little while. other than that, I've been picking over my closet as I'm planning on selling roughly 20-30% of it in a month or so...keep your eyes peeled on supermarket for some great deals...

Yeah, I'm set for denim right now. Two dry pairs in rotation, a RRL lowrise bootcut and a dry staright sven. If i get any more my girlfriend will kill me. I just ordered a pair of boots that will hopefully fit, if not its back to obsessing over a pair of indys. I tried on some denim jacket at gap the other day, a rinsed one based on the levis type 2 (i think) and have now decided its time to get a quality jean jacket. But which one???? Nudie, a japanese repro? I don't know!

Oh and a skull jeans wallet,..... and an ann. gift for my gf......and some sugarcane edo ais......and a pair of bootcut ola dry broken twill.......and a pair of nudie RR blue black one wash.....frekin jeans man!

Oh yeah, and those CCP shoes that coldrice has.....any place I can look at those shoes online?

Oh yeah, and those CCP shoes that coldrice has.....any place I can look at those shoes online?
nope. CCP stuff is sold in a handful (less than 15, I believe? I could be wrong) of boutiques worldwide... and you're looking at the low 4-digits for a pair of his shoes or boots.

TrappedInDC thanks for the advice...Ive heard those surplus stores are the way to go when it comes to peacoats. I just hope they arent "too" warm..it doesnt get too cold here in Seattle. That was their main selling point for the one Ive been looking at from Barneys. Its a cotton peacoat by miu miu. do you happen to know if many companies make cotton peacoats? I really dont want to drop $850 on a single item. I need to buy some boots, etc. The $150ish surplus store prices sound a little more enticing..

Actually BrianSD on the other SF offers some great sizing advice for the Sterlingwear peacoats. I intend to size down also when i buy in a couple of months.

Trapped: did you size down by just one or did you do two? And do you think you could have sized down 2? Trying to decide how fitted I could get without being uncomfortable.

Here's the discussion.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=16890&highlight=peacoats

Actually BrianSD on the other SF offers some great sizing advice for the Sterlingwear peacoats. I intend to size down also when i buy in a couple of months.

Trapped: did you size down by just one or did you do two? And do you think you could have sized down 2? Trying to decide how fitted I could get without being uncomfortable.

Here's the discussion.

Good advice in that SF thread. I cant wait to rock a good peacoat this fall. Now for the perfect scarf... Its still 80 degrees outside. I dont even know why Im thinking about this stuff already.

Well that move just saved you over a grand!!:P

Dark, how much were shoes?

I didn't see any low cut shoes, there was a simpler grey boot that was $1500, so my best guest is, a low cut might be in the 900-1000 price range.

Here's the discussion.

I think I originally ordered two sizes up... then ended up with my regular size. I'm a 6"2" guy, so we're talking a 48L here (I'm a 46L suit jacket)... got a little belly action too... but it does fit my chest, which is all that really mattered... In fact... it fits really well, any smaller and I'd probably end up with shoulder pains. I got the 6 button model with large collar, and I'd suggest checking the actual sterlingwear site for the model number of that one... IIRC the vtarmynavy site had the pictures mixed up btw the M21 and M22.

I tried on a SHOTT peacoat in my size last year in a discount store, but it wasn't quite my size. Quality is about the same as a Sterlingwear.

I'd say the mil-spec coats are warm but not too warm. Its a wool coat, with a thin quilted poly lining (which can use a clothes shaver every once in a while, since the poly lining pills)

For you skinny folk... You may be able to get by sizing down... just watch the shoulders. Sure beats the hell out of the S M L sizing you'll find in the gap or old navy.

Hope this helps everyone in making their decisions.

Happy Hunting.

-Trapped w/indy envy

im gettin me some cloak deserts. superboots is a good idea, but i really think there should be a supershoe forum...you may own 10 pairs of denim and call yourself a denimhead, but also have 39 pairs of sb dunks...so the shoe forum should exist

In case of 39 pairs of sb dunks, because shoe forum should exist, NIKETALK is to be the necessity

sorry cmf

Fall Fashion

Nano Reef - reading up on this

Cooking Classes

Summer Sales

Online Poker

I really don't see myself buying any more denim until the special winter holiday releases, although I did like some Galliano brown waxed jeans.