Show us your leather

aleopold

I don't that is the case necessarily - with the staining of dyes it depends on how "raw" the leather is - as in, additional processes of infusing waxes and oils into the leather as well as any coating agents such as resins will make the leather more protected from staining.

Also, if you do have a skirting/saddle leather wallet which is quite raw (nothing wrong with that, it is how these leathers were designed) then giving them a bit of oils & waxes before wearing will give them some protection too.

On top of what mike said, i'd like to add another point. I feel that when it comes to raw leathers like veg tanned leathers, moisture plays an extremely big role.

IMG_5670.JPG

This is a case i made for a friend. It was wet-molded. And my friend put it inside his pocket before it was completely dry, and the slightly damp leather actually managed to capture the twill of the denim in an indigo print stain. It was only in his pocket for half an hour or so.

IMG_4540.JPG

This here is a card case i made for my girl, she had this card case in her back pocket of her denim and she sat on a wet bench. The water from the bench seeped in her denim and bled on the leather, creating this bruise-like stain on the top left. You can actually see the contrast in darkness of the pores. Apparently, they absorb more indigo.!

IMG_5647.JPG

And lastly, this here is my satchel, this was how it looked like after a month of use. It was never exposed to water since i made it and used it during the whole first month and this is how the indigo stained it. A very gradient stain.

So main point, quality of leather doesn't affect staining.

offcourse water has it's effect, not just on the leather but also on the indigo itself, think about it, when u sweat your denim bleeds faster on your skin also...

bike portage strap from walnut studios. about 2 years old. really dig the touch of leather the strap brings to my daily commute. super functional for my steel frame beater!

B0kxBl.jpg

had a lot of fun stitching it onto the bike - i chose to do a mexican basketweave stitch.

vcoRsl.jpg

custom lettering - yeaaaaaaaaaaah.

wvAlil.jpg

and here's the set-up if anyone is interested.

Edited by mapz

bike portage strap from walnut studios. about 2 years old. really dig the touch of leather the strap brings to my daily commute. super functional for my steel frame beater! B0kxBl.jpg had a lot of fun stitching it onto the bike - i chose to do a mexican basketweave stitch. vcoRsl.jpg custom lettering - yeaaaaaaaaaaah. wvAlil.jpg and here's the set-up if anyone is interested.

i wanna learn how to make one too! for a buddy who mean a lot to me... thanx for the heads-up!

when it comes to oiling/conditioning does it matter how much you put on when using a paste material? My closing strap cracked a little bit so I decided to throw on some mink oil in paste form onto it. I put on a fairly thin coat for now, but unsure how thick to apply.

Also should I put a coat on the inside of the wallet, like on the back side of the outer piece? Since this is my first leather product of this nature where I have to clean and condition it, I’m not really sure when something should be oiled. The inside is pretty rough feeling, kinda hard.

thank for any input

saw this on the Blackacre Facebook page today:

http://www.facebook.com/theblackacre[/url]

Final update since we have royally confused everyone! All older posts deleted! This is what you need to do' date=' simply "like" us and be the 10th person to email us at [email protected] at 6:00 PM PST on Sunday. Easy enough??? Good! Free custom card holder coming at whoever figures this out!!!![/color']

Seems like a really awesome way to get your hands on some of the great work Ray and Co. are putting out. I actually shouldn't be posting this here cause I want to win, but I figured you guys might appreciate it.

Edited by arcarsenal

seeming as pictures mean everything, an update to my small tanner goods kit!

P1080242Large-Copy.jpg

Lost track of how old the belt is now but I would say getting into the year and a half to two year range, lanyard is around 12 months.

Belt was natural to start, lanyard was Saddle(London?) tan.

cross posting for the evo!