Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

just got my black sugarcane belt today and is it supposed to feel so small? i wear my belt jsut a little over my hip and i can't even get a hole in... it's the 36" one, too--the largest size they come in. i feel fucking fat.

i remember reading somehwhere that the 36" belt is supposed to fit a size 33 waist, or something ridiculous like that.

just got my black sugarcane belt today and is it supposed to feel so small? i wear my belt jsut a little over my hip and i can't even get a hole in... it's the 36" one, too--the largest size they come in. i feel fucking fat.

Really?

The size 36 measures to be 38" on the largest hole setting.

Its not uncommon for japanese belts to be 2 sizes small (so a 36" could easily be a 34").

Nope.

Iron Heart, Skull, Flat Head, and Sugar Cane belts all run exactly the same. True to size to the millimeter.

A 36 belt measures 36" on the center hole and 2" in either direction.

does this mean i'm not really a 34" waist? i'm lost...

and also feeling fat..

If you can't fit into the belt at all it means your waist is over 38"..

The largest setting is exactly 38"...

Wallet.jpgWallet1.jpg

I think you're on to something .. both tips about having the selvedge seam at the top of the pockets and bringing some leather into the inside of the wallet are great ideas, but it's definitly got some handmade charm to it.. and not in a teddy bear quilt kind of way

clean it with obenauf's or lexol and re oil it, if you haven't done so already. This should help allivieate the problem, but then again those small scratches are actually adding character to the wallet itself.

wow that looks really cool. I assume you made that very very recently so there is no denim fading whatsoever? also, where did you get the denim?

Sorry I missed your question! The picture was taken a day after I oiled it, so the wallet was very fresh. I got the denim from Mood's in NYC, $14 for a yard I believe. They've got a really good selection of denim; at least four selvedge rolls.

I didn't make the pockets selvedge because I wanted to keep some around for a few more projects and some patches should I need them. It would be nice though... As for leather accents on the inside...it's kind of hard. I handsewed the wallet, so you figure two layers of 6oz leather (approx. 1/8th of an inch thick) + about 1/2 an inch of denim is a lot to sew through. I did have a leather frame cut out originally, but it would have been too bulky and too much of a hastle for it to work.

Thanks for the rep. everyone! I appreciate it a lot!:)

If you can't fit into the belt at all it means your waist is over 38"..

The largest setting is exactly 38"...

but i look nothing over 38"... i fit 33" in apc NS just fine.. lol. how weak.

but i'm wearing it right now, trying to stretch it out, i'll let you know how that goes later :)

I think so...I have had it on a smaller hole but getting the belt through the buckle at this point is difficult.

Having said that the leather seems to be soffening up nicely and becoming more maneuverable for lack of a better word. Great belts though...Im thinking about getting a plain brown now!

a while ago, miz came up with the idea of making a sufu wallet, his friend Kamida-san is a japanese leather-craftsman.. So miz hooked us up with this guy, who really can make anything really great of leather..

Heres the thread:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mizanation/KamidaLeather

And some of Kamida-san's work:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mizanation/KamidaLeather

just pm miz...