loose fit raw selvage denim. help!

q1604uk

hi

im interested in buyin some raw selvage jeans from japan but are unsure of the fits of these jeans.

i prefer the fit to be loose but not too baggy like the LVC 508 and 542 which i already have. do LVC make raw 508 and 542?

i did some research and found a few pairs im interested in:

iron heart: 461, 461vz, 634, 634vz

samurai: s5110vxj

sugar cane: sc40400

skull jeans: bb036 skull vs beast

Ijin: J5230 G

studio d'artisan: sd d01

also interested in 45rpm but cant find sufficient pics or info.

any help u guys can give would be much appreciated.

money is no object so if u think of any other jeans, let me know!

Q

levis 508 and 542 werent part of the LVC collection, as far as I am aware (?)

they're 'normal' levis.

as for the Japanese brands you mention, I would strongly advise you get a European or American selvedge brand that you can try on, to start of with.

primarily because they tend to be sanforized, or because they give clear indication in English of what shrinkage will occur (Unlike the Jap. brands, I would say)

Others may feel differently, but you always know where you are with the American or Euro sized brands.

Why dont you just get a pair of Nudie Baggy Bjorns, whcih are MADE from japanese selvedge denim, but made in Italy. You take away the 'buy it and hope for the best' approach that people often take when buying Japanese denim brands.

I take it you are just starting to read about raw denim etc. Not sure if you have ever seen the 'Supermarket' section on here before, but you will notice A LOT of people who buy Japanese denim brands sell them literally as soon as they receive them, because they just dont fit how they imagined they would. (and that is an expensive and time consuming approach to trying to find the right fit you want)

If money is no object, then that won't be a problem for you.... but be careful.

If you're in the UK, just go to Selfrdiges or American Classics (if in London) and try on a pair first.......................

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Sneakeraddict about the Baggy Bjorns, which I'm wearing right now. My faves at the moment. Sugarcane 1947s are a nice fit, too.

Sneakeraddict, where in Selfridges can I find dry selvedge denim? I popped down there in my lunchbreak for a quick look but didn't manage to track any down.

You should also look at Kicking Mule Workshop 1950.

Loose, but not too baggy. 14oz Japanese selvage denim.

Big fan.

hey sam, i've got a pair of 50s on deck right now. have you soaked them? what was the shrinkage like on the legs? from the other pairs i saw when i bought them, it seemed like the leg length was standard across different waist sizes, and it seems a lil on the short side...

thanks man. would you say the quality is on par with the high end sugarcanes/SDAs/ect?

i only have the okinawa sugarcanes, and the detailing on those are ridiculous. I'd say the denim is much better than the SDA 103's that I have, i like the fit of the 103's better imo, but yeah, it's def on the upper end of the regular brands,better denim than my samurai's and 103's, but not as good as my oni's, hope that makes sense. i'd honestly say that if these were a slimmer, they'd def be my favorites.very nice quality