Converse One Star Selvedge denim

jyoni

Please...no negs, no hate. This is unabashed cheap crap here. Anyone who gives a shit about me knows I have a soft spot for the budget denim and that I can empathize with those whose finances are limited to said denim.

I finally got some time to try these on at Target. The fit's pretty boss...like, really good. I'll get some pics up tomorrow (fit and details)

These are so cheap, I'm thinking just like an expo of sorts, maybe a 3-4 month deal. I don't think anyone interested would want to spend too much time away from their other pairs.

Would this even necessitate a "prize?"

Check in if you're down for this.

I don't even want to say how I really feel about the fit...til I have some photos.

Great pair for the Ramen and single-bowl masses.

*edit, the cut on that "resin" model looks markedly different from what I scooped up. I would say go to the actual store.

Edited by jyoni

These are off-the-rack pics. Converse one-washed the piss out of these so I still have to hotsoak to remove the retail shelf "character."

Bear in mind, I am a 200lb/90kg+ bruiser. I can't really push my fits too much. Smaller guys could go way down, I'm stuck buying just a bit snug.

Also bear in mind that any clownfart dumping his cash at Old Navy could go get these for less than he's paying now.

onestar2.jpg

Tagged size 34

Waist/hip: 36

Thigh (BiG method, right off the crotch): 13

Knee: 9.25

Leg Opening: 8.75

Front Rise: 10.5

Back Rise: 15.5

Edited by jyoni

It would be.

I think I may have been a little too excited there. It's just that I was not expecting much at all, when I took a few pairs to the dressing room. Lo and behold, I was actually really impressed. Maybe some people will be interested, maybe not.

If not, I'll contact a mod about changing the title to a general thread for these. I have no clue how they'll fade. Can't say anything bad or good about that yet. So at this time, my opinion is that they are definitely worth wearing. I'll put a little time on them.

Not down for it personally dude, but good idea. Be VERY interesting to see the results of the so called 'dirt denim'. Would you upload a couple of shots of the weave from inside, the selvedge line and the hem?

I think 6 months would be long enough? 4 months too short I'd think. I've worn cheap 'mass-produced' Chinese raw denim before and it was pretty beat to fuck after 6 months. Faded OK though, just OK.

Good luck!

Edited by gregornz

^nah, they're holding a good amount of dye still. Hotsoak left a little ring and crock marks where the waist was bumping the tub.

The soak also stiffened em up nicely and did smooth out most of the unsightly industrial-dryer wrinkles.

I've worn cheap 'mass-produced' Chinese raw denim

Yeah, haha, that's exactly what this is. It's cheap. The well-conceived block is why I care enough to post about them. If I pulled them on and saw a 514 clone or a "slim" jean that fit like a parachute....I wouldn't even give a shit.

Levi's 501 stf are great "starter" jeans if you transition into vintage fits. But moving from the stf to current slim cuts does pose a challenge, even with the updates to the silhouette. My first impression of these Converse puts them on the same tier as stf, except these appear to be dialed in really solid as a "starter" jean for modern cuts. You could drop the thirty bucks, wear them, fade them, put them away...and then go spend 300 confidently off a size chart. It will take a little time to know if I really feel that way, that's just early impression.

I'll get some photos up of the details soon.

My guess is that they'll behave the same, with quick fades that start to wash out before too long.

Not down for it personally dude, but good idea. Be VERY interesting to see the results of the so called 'dirt denim'...

Not like I'm in the position to push elitism but the selvedge denim that I saw at Target was quite passable, much like the WOWSELVEDGEDENIMFORLESS you see from Lucky Brand or Gap. I'm not doubting you can get nice fades out of them, you can get nice fades out of pretty much any denim with time and wear. they're just not interesting enough for me to try but i will keep this thread tabbed.

I think there is a lot to be said for playing round with denim like this if you are a first timer too.

In my experience, first timers are impatient and will try and cheat fades into their denim by pinching and the like, or by just by trying to beat them up real hard on purpose. Then the newbie will probably not really understand the effect of washing and might screw it up a bit. The last thing you want to do is make those mistakes with some $400 japanese denim. So if jyoni can get some new people in this denim I think that'd be great!

Like jyoni said, it could be a good way to get a hang on sizing too. Though are all these converse pairs one-wash? Why the hell does anyone do that? Just sanforise it already! :)

Ha! I've been guilty of pinching creases when i'm bored. <_<

I've done it too... on that cheap and nasty denim I mentioned earlier. Sad, sad times. :)

No worries about the elitism, I think we're all on the same page there. The fabric is nothing special. It's the 30 dollar fit that really perked my ears up. Well, that combined with the fact that it will raw-fade no matter how cheap and mundane.

I entered the wrong thigh measurement. It's fixed now. These are not thigh pinchers!

Some pics of the details

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

DSC00515.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

The heavy red threading around the hem and open end is really ridiculous!

However, there is some retail slickening bullshit that is understated and that are actually okay ideas.

Much of the red back-threading is subtly interwoven with the main stitching. This works! It's not a bad effect. You can see what I mean in the next batch of photos.

Sheeeit...post em up, marineabilly. It would be cool to see some aging, plus some more fits to gauge the versatility.

*edit, I thought about pulling that stitch too. I want to see how it wears though, with that red interlacing.

Edited by jyoni