Why the hype over Nike SB? Cool or wack?

Mr T

Does anyone agree that these shoes are unoriginal (80's revisited) and over priced. I think Nike is suckering skaters/collectors/general public that they are cool. How come so many Human rights organisations put pressure on Nike, Addidas etc...not because the're cool I'm sure.

Do you know any alternative sneaker manufacturers that really are cool.

www.calloushands.com

walsh shoes

www.claefootwear.com

Any more? Or disagree

Check out www.soullife.co.uk

Paul Bowles - “... A Frenchman told me, 'never allow yourself to become a monument, people piss on them...â€

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sb's are dope and if you get them at a skateshop where they are supposed to be sold they are priced good. The Sb dunks and the FC's are super good to skate in. The sole lets you feel the board and the zoom air feels good when you land on your heels. Compared to other skate sneakers SB's are right up there in style and comfort.

i own a pair of e-cue, the comfort is definitely there, thanks to the zoom air 2. as long as you can get it at normal retail price and not marked up, they are good buy. anybody knows how's the comfort level of angus, delta, sb classic and url? im interested in getting one of them

Edited by hahnstch on Feb 14, 2005 at 04:54 AM

i hate how nike capatilizes on everything. sb are ok their the most basic of basic shoes-nothing that special. nike paid some credible people to "collaborate" with them and boom people are on tothem thinking nike is credible in this or that market. same with white label- lame, nike capitalizing on fashion, $3 shirt sewn in a third wrld country call it white label and boom you charge $50? graphics are all left overs.........they would/will do rollerblading if they thought the shit would turn a buck...............people are into this shit?

^ i guess it's cuz most people could care less where something comes from or how it started...

most people just care if it looks nice or if it's popular.

i can't really say i agree or disagree with that but i rock nikes.

for me nike is classic, stylish, and comfortable. you can knock on me for that but hey why care about other people...just do you.

Quote:

i hate how nike capatilizes on everything. sb are ok their the most basic of basic shoes-nothing that special. nike paid some credible people to "collaborate" with them and boom people are on tothem thinking nike is credible in this or that market. same with white label- lame, nike capitalizing on fashion, $3 shirt sewn in a third wrld country call it white label and boom you charge $50? graphics are all left overs.........they would/will do rollerblading if they thought the shit would turn a buck...............people are into this shit?

--- Original message by bloden on Feb 13, 2005 06:25 PM

You obviously know fuck all about skateboarding.

Nike has been credible for decades, dude's skated jordan 1's back before you were buying fake one's off ebay from china. It was practically the original skate shoe.

Gino? Yeah, he was skating nike's before he was getting a paycheck.

What do you expect from them? Some SB Shox?

And the team they have running the program are as real as it gets. They've done a hell of a lot for their retailers, even saved some shops, and are giving back to skateboarding as opposed to some of the more "core" companies that are just taking taking taking.

Don't run your mouth about something you have zero knowledge on.

fuck around and get your waffle split

message boards and ebay are what gets shoes so hyped up. sb's aren't bad in themselves (although dunks are played, every once in a while they release a gem), and neither is nike. these "sweatshops" that the shoes are made in actually pay their workers well above average for there locale. paying the manufacturer's workers as much as a us minimum wage would completely offset their economy and shit would get bananas. imagine a worker in the garment manufacturing industry making more than a doctor.

RHFIV

Know fuck all about skateboarding?

Buying Fake one’s off ebay?

Original skate shoe?

are you serious..….

Nike =cred in skating? That’s why they couldn’t get shit off back when they attempted in the 90’s…that’s why no one went for Savier…it was just a nike front on some sb shox type-a-shit

Just because a few people skated in nikes here or there doesn’t mean they have cred as a skate shoe….especially if your really talking about back in the day when there were only a couple companies out making skate specific shoes….

Yeah they have a decent team now, but whats your point-that the team was always down with the swoosh? nah their not getting a fat paychecks to waer free shoes and get flown all over the place to skate….

Did nike “save†shops……I don’t know about that, help some shops get paid….i know alot of brokeass CORE shops that refused to sell dunks to this day and are still making it maybe they don’t have that cushion but their doing themselves…... They make “contributions†to the community, which is cool but i'm sure they do it for a fat tax write off….

I don’t know…..i don’t like any of these big companies and don’t think one is nec. better than the other….but when someone voices an opinion you don’t have to run and hold nike’s dick for em……rider..

So what you skated a pair of nikes back in the day b/c you thought it was cool…..

Shit maybe you should get out of your chair and out to the park/street and see what heads are actually skating...no one swallowed their shit in the 90's because they had wack shoes with names like "chode" and the team consisted of choppy omega and fucking bam (when he had bitch-tits I might add) and i didn't skate those fucking things, but i had nike courts and some other shit, that's how we rolled...and no one swallowed savier because the shoes were shit, except for the tim o'connor, and they done fucked up and gave shaun white too much goddamn money.

Of course dudes are getting paid, it's a fucking job. But you need to do your research duke, watch practically any old gino part, dude is running it in nikes.

The SB program helped out a grip of shops that were boarderline fucked, giving them great price points on products they could make double bubble on...as for the brokeass shops, that's their decision in the end. What's worse, nike or vans? One helps you out, one fucks you in the ass by selling to whoever in your neighborhood wants the product.

I'm not on anyone's dick, I'm not sitting on boxes of dunks, I'm just calling it like I see it.

They're doing it proper over there.

As for "a few people skating nikes here and there" try fucking everyone doggy. Once again, do your research.

So it's cool for you voice your opinion, but not if someone else does?

fuck around and get your waffle split

I have a love/hate relationship with the Nike Corporation too, but I know some shop owners, and the deal with regular nike SB accounts is that the shops get the dunks at wholesale, so the dunks are $35 to retailers, no matter how limited or rare, and the retailer jacks up the price to whatever they want. Nike has so much money, they could afford to have a project that they KNEW would fail. Even if they are LOSING money on the SB shit, theyd still do it for the hype. I don't think Nike is making bank off of just the SB releases, They probably ain't going broke neither, it seems more like a marketing gimmick to get people psyched on Nike. They know that if they make hot shit limited in the fashion market, that trickles down into pop culture, into the mass market. One of many of my conspiracy theories.

IDonTcare

Edited by UnhappySupremeCustomer on Feb 14, 2005 at 03:38 PM

yeah/.....they pay 35 bucks for everything...the nyc pigeons which i bought for 270 bucks had a wholesale of 35 and a suggested retail of 65.....the shops tried to raise the price, to get a piece of reseller action and possibly discourage people from buying them to resell...but it doesnt matter...the hype is an uncontrollable beast that is here to stay for at least another year.

hot shit! and no one knew about this before you mentioned it? Sorry to dissapoint you but that's basic business and marketing theories...not your conspiracy theory. Any big company will do anything like that i.e. get into a certain niche market hype just for street cred even if they're losing millions out of it. Think Microsoft and Crapbox.

As for the wholesale price that they sell to retailers...that ain't no mystery or anything new either. God some of you can be so naive......

and no, maybe some of us didn't know that. But since you already knew this shit, I'll delete the post ASAP. Sorry man, maybe you can take me in and teach me everyhting you know. I could quit my job and devote myself to the teachings of futuretalk on nike and supreme. This is just kind of something I'm into, it's sad to see someone who takes it so serisouly. Yo you peep those new get a life dunks? They made one pair in your size, they said you knew so much so they were going to hook you up.

IDonTcare

you really can't blame shops for jacking up the price for dunks. i mean, shops are technically "resellers" in their own right where they purchase wholesale to "resell" to the public. it's only natural for the shop, who is at the first-tier, to jack the price to compensate being treated as a middleman by kids looking to make a quick buck. i know that was run-on sentence.

I was a target cause I'm a fashion misfit

and the outfit that I'm wearing brothers dissing it

it seems more like a marketing gimmick to get people psyched on Nike

That's exactly what it is. Nike is #1 a marketing company, #2 a design company and #3 an R&D company. Marketing is what they do best, so that's what it makes the most sense for them to focus on. Manufacturing is almost always done by 3rd parties. By keeping people who follow urban trends interested in Nike they are ensuring that Nike's brand endures. Issuing limited edition AF1s and Dunks through select outlets serves to do this much more effectively than trying to convince people of the same by bombarding them with ads in whatever the hip magazine du jour is.

"Nike =cred in skating? That’s why they couldn’t get shit off back when they attempted in the 90’s…that’s why no one went for Savier…it was just a nike front on some sb shox type-a-shit"

Okay first, Savier had some amazing shoes. Tim O'Connor's trainer was solid and his new i-path hoof is pretty much the same shoe.

Second, how can you say that Nike has no credibility? Take a look at a lot of shoes by "core" skate brands and you can definitely see how they've ripped off Nike.

I'm not really clear on your argument. What makes a skate shoe company credible exactly? If you're saying that they're not credible because they don't make just skate specific shoes, then I'd say you've been severely mislead.

As far as I'm concerned most people don't even know why they "hate" nike, they just rant and rave about "selling out" and "they gave up on skating once before" all the while supporting companys like Billabong (element) and Quicksilver (DC), without a second thought...or what about "core" skate brands that also support bmx which ruins a lot of skate parks. Are they any more credible?

People have been wearing Nike's for years...probably way before you got on your first board and started to push mongo.

"Nike =cred in skating? That’s why they couldn’t get shit off back when they attempted in the 90’s…that’s why no one went for Savier…it was just a nike front on some sb shox type-a-shit"

Okay first, Savier had some amazing shoes. Tim O'Connor's trainer was solid and his new i-path hoof is pretty much the same shoe.

Second, how can you say that Nike has no credibility? Take a look at a lot of shoes by "core" skate brands and you can definitely see how they've ripped off Nike.

I'm not really clear on your argument. What makes a skate shoe company credible exactly? If you're saying that they're not credible because they don't make just skate specific shoes, then I'd say you've been severely mislead.

As far as I'm concerned most people don't even know why they "hate" nike, they just rant and rave about "selling out" and "they gave up on skating once before" all the while supporting companys like Billabong (element) and Quicksilver (DC), without a second thought. And what about "core" skate brands that also support bmx, which ruins a lot of skate parks and spots. Are they any more credible?

People have been wearing Nike's for years...probably way before you got on your first board and started to push mongo.

Edited by rhymes with brasspole on Feb 16, 2005 at 02:28 PM

Nike is Nike, they'll always get hate in such an elite "sport" But I think they did it right. They didn't come out sponsoring Tony Hawk and Bob Burquist. A lot of the reason Nike is where they are at in skating I think is because of skateboarders. People skated dunks and MJ's before Nike was even involved in skating. They took a shoe that people showed love and skated in and altered it for skateboarding. They showed skateboarding respect by first sponsoring dudes that showed nike love and were into skating Nikes before Nike SB. My head was spinning back when they dropped the first dunk SBs. The shits blown up as of late and Nikes making a definate buck off of it, but they did it the way they should have. They should have just done limited SBs of random old sneakers, like some jordan iii SBs with pink elephant print, along the lines of JB Classics... instead of this zoom air p-rod and URL crap.

IDonTcare

"There is no such thing as "limited editions", that's just a marketing word. It's a way people sell things. If it's limited and you get it, does it make you cool? I don't think so, I think that you have a hook up and you know a person that can get it to you. That's all." DQM -couldn't have said it better myself...

IDonTcare

Quote:

"Okay first, Savier had some amazing shoes. Tim O'Connor's trainer was solid and his new i-path hoof is pretty much the same shoe."

You’ve pretty much regurgitated what’s already been said. Nike isn’t credible b/c they jump in and out of it as soon as shit goes sour- 1 for 3 so far………maybe 3 will be the charm, so we’ll see—given their making a grip for pawning off a cheap ass product in updated materials every couple months as limited or whatever their calling it now they may make a good run for it…..

As far as hating nike and not knowing why, -I never said I hate nike necessarily, more like how they feel the need to corner every market and soak it for what they can….it’s like stay the fuck over there and let these people make some money-they don’t have to have their hands in everything-greedy ass yuppies. I know some shops and businesses have made well off of the whole thing but I just think that’s momentarily and they’ve planted some foul seeds.

As far as other people not liking nike and not knowing why, it’s like meeting someone and not liking them, but not quite knowing why…….nike has weak ethics and no real philosophy beyond turning a dollar…..yeah,yeah I know a businesses main purpose is to make money….yada,yada, but this doesn’t mean a business has to lack in ethics and philosophy beyond the all mighty buck.

As far as skate “core†shoes I think a better example would be es, emerica, ipath, etc-comapanies that began their businesses catering to the skate world…..blah, blah, blah….P.O.V’s …..this is a waiste of time- arguing about whether or not some huge sportswear company should be making it in skateboarding……..support whatever you believe in….you don’t have to plead the case…..just do it........

Edited by bloden on Feb 16, 2005 at 09:50 PM