Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

First, I would call the NYC shop and see if they have it as they stock the 4060. You can also get on the waiting list (I did). I suspect that they might be able to go down to a size 7. It may take a long time though.

girlfriend purchased alden captoe boots in size 6 at Alden shop in NYC if I remember correctly the sales staff said they went down to 5.5....so small sizes are out there and wouldn't imagine would be that hard to find.

First, I would call the NYC shop and see if they have it as they stock the 4060. You can also get on the waiting list (I did). I suspect that they might be able to go down to a size 7. It may take a long time though.

Second, I would consider getting in contact with Tom at LeatherSoul and see if they have anything. He tends to stock smaller sized shoes as they fit the demographic that shops at his store in Hawaii. There was a special order for a cap toe on the plaza last in #8, but that order might be closed. You'd have to ask him.

girlfriend purchased alden captoe boots in size 6 at Alden shop in NYC if I remember correctly the sales staff said they went down to 5.5....so small sizes are out there and wouldn't imagine would be that hard to find.

Amlai, I had already emailed Tom but hadn't heard back yet...have now, and it seems I might be able to get my hands on the cap toe plaza boot...I wasn't aware of that special order, and am awaiting info on the specifics of that particular make-up.

Thank you both for the heads-up on the Alden shop in NYC...I have never really dealt with them, but its good to know they carry a fair variety and get down there in size too, if not for myself, for my girlfriend.

I just got back from Hawaii,was there for the probowl. I was able to go to the Leather Soul store during the week. Matt was really helpful in fitting me for some cigar shell cordovan indys, and Tom was real cool to talk with about shoes and denim! If you are ever in Hawaii I recommend checking out the store, they have a great selection of Aldens.

carnews214ms9.jpg

carnews238ce5.jpg

carnews233qc8.jpg

carnews241ir5.jpg

carnews243tm0.jpg

I don't know anything about Koronya shoes, but here is a video from their site of a guy making a shoe from start to finish - pretty damn interesting.

Koronya are made by Marcell Hun in Hungary (czech maybe, think Hungary). He just made a deal with an orthopedic (orthotic?) company in New York (Brooklyn actually) to do full measurements for his bespoke shoes. His prices are (relatively) really low for what he offers, something like $1500 for full bespoke, specified as you like.

Hawkeye - The video was fantastic. I'm gonna call their Brooklyn rep to see if they have any photos of boots to see about a MTO set....

Chicken - Great indigo color on the 45rpm's. You inspired me to take some boot/denim action shots, though don't have a rappeling tower handy! Back in the day, did some stuff with the Corcorans though!

Braid - I got my Semi-Dress back from Alex, and they look pretty darn good, I did something a bit different, just a bit. Hope to take photos this weekend w/ denim + action!

Amlai, I had already emailed Tom but hadn't heard back yet...have now, and it seems I might be able to get my hands on the cap toe plaza boot...I wasn't aware of that special order, and am awaiting info on the specifics of that particular make-up.

Unless I'm mistaken, I belive it is essentially an AF60 in #8, but with just double leather sole. In that case, it will have metal eyelets and hooks at the top of the boot. If you hear otherwise, let me know.

I just got back from Hawaii,was there for the probowl. I was able to go to the Leather Soul store during the week. Matt was really helpful in fitting me for some cigar shell cordovan indys, and Tom was real cool to talk with about shoes and denim! If you are ever in Hawaii I recommend checking out the store, they have a great selection of Aldens.

Congrats on the pickup! Enjoy them, I know I have and do!

wow the cordovan indys r gorgeous...whats the pricing on those? i can imagine a lot seeing how the normal ones are already pricey at $320.

$650 for cigar and $595 for #8 and black.

Unless I'm mistaken, I belive it is essentially an AF60 in #8, but with just double leather sole. In that case, it will have metal eyelets and hooks at the top of the boot. If you hear otherwise, let me know.

As per the email I received from Tom a bit ago, you are not mistaken, which comes as no surprise. I am now trying to determine whether or not it is sensible for me to buy a plaza boot, as I have really started to appreciate the way that the less elegant, more gun-boatesque lasts such as the Barrie and Trubalance fit and function with the other pieces of my wardrobe.

Picked up my Lone Wolf "Hunter" boots today...they look to be pretty well made boots overall. I'm not a big fan of the little kilty things so I took them off, but they do come with the shoes. Color in the pics is pretty accurate. They do fit on the large side, I got a 9.5 and even with my thick wool socks there's more room than the RW 875s in the same size. Width is definitely wider than a D. Comfort-wise, they're somewhere in between the 875 and the Gentleman Travelers out of the box so i'll probably add some thin insoles for additional cushioning. I'll be taking these to Eddie's in LA later this week for possible re-soling.

Click on the pics below for larger versions. Here is a link to all photos.

2262277628_22f857c32e_m.jpg

2261480933_7b2f3bc0af_m.jpg

2262271734_868c95c57b_m.jpg

2262275706_2fc4260ed6_m.jpg

2262274402_49f3937138_m.jpg

2262281776_dba0c904e0_m.jpg

2261490149_042bdab2e8_m.jpg

2262271402_15cbc8d6a9_m.jpg

2261489039_6bce2020f4_m.jpg

denimdad:

awesome collection i love suede boot or shoe alot,

Thanks for the report and if you have chance

can you take more pics of the whites and what width are those? I think i am getting those for my bday but doesnt know what size to get. I wear size 8 in redwing

Wearing around my smokeumpers today and I have to say that they have the most comfortable toe box of any pair of boots I own. It's amazing how soft the leather is and even though the sole feels stiff when the boot is off it really feels nice and supple when on. I'm not completelly used to the tall heel but the rest of the boots are perfect.

I can't wait to get my semi-dress. 6 more weeks is going to be a long time.

Check your PM.

denimdad:

awesome collection i love suede boot or shoe alot,

Thanks for the report and if you have chance

can you take more pics of the whites and what width are those? I think i am getting those for my bday but doesnt know what size to get. I wear size 8 in redwing

Glad it was useful...I really like the look, I may have to suck it up and get the brown Carpenter's with the Cat's Paw soles as soon as my wallet recovers. The proxy I used was great, total elapsed time from the first email to delivery was 11 days.

Denim - Thanks for that report, I have a better idea about the size now, and it just might work. I'm definitely gonna give the LWs a try. Will contact a proxy soon...

Greg at Eddie's Shoe Repair just finished these up for me...they look even better than I imagined they would.

a8107625.jpg

Thank you. I can't adequately express how impressed I am with Greg's work and customer service. To echo what GregNYC said earlier, its not just his willingness to do exactly what you ask, but its his skill at correctly filling in the blanks...because even when I don't specify things exactly, he is aware of what aesthetic I am going for, and makes the judgment calls that come up accordingly.

how much did that job run you?

i love the indy boots but the only problem i have is the brown color...most of my outerwear is dark (black, navy etc) and would look odd with the indy color shoe...cordovan colors are nicer but is way too pricey for me

I used to think the same way. For many years, all my shoes and boots were black. It wasn't untill I got interested in vintage and WWII stuff like flight jackets that I tried browns. Brown actually goes better with black outerwear than I ever thought (unless I'm going for a Gibson-commando look), and it opens up a huge world of choices I never had before. Since then, I don't think I have purchased even one pair of black....

Cobblers can make an Indy boot black, but then you'd probably want to get the sole changed too....

tmadd - great Indies - I have a batch of stuff to send him tis week!

how much did that job run you?

i love the indy boots but the only problem i have is the brown color...most of my outerwear is dark (black, navy etc) and would look odd with the indy color shoe...cordovan colors are nicer but is way too pricey for me

Leather Soul has an "Ultimate Indy Boot" on order that will be coming in a color different from the standard brown calfskin, and a black calfskin. They are built to Alden New England standards, which are much higher and more refined than the normal Indy boots. This of course comes at a higher price point...a little over 400...in my opinion it is definitely worth consideration though.