Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

wow!

normally I dont fancy toe-caps, but it just looks so perfect on these. overall i have to say these are one of the most beautiful boots Ive seen, and I have seen a LOT of boots. the color of the leather, the seams, the wonderful tight last and so on... how much do they cost? :_)

Those AF57 cigar shell cordovan chukka boots look cool, and your photos and reports are too convincing. I'm gonna try the Alden shop tomorrow, and at least get my size in this boot. Maybe then order from Carmel if I have too. If they're in stock anywhere! (photo from the Carmel shop)

AF57-view01.jpg

Those AF57 cigar shell cordovan chukka boots look cool, and your photos and reports are too convincing. I'm gonna try the Alden shop tomorrow, and at least get my size in this boot. Maybe then order from Carmel if I have too. If they're in stock anywhere! (photo from the Carmel shop)

It is good to have the size tried out. I wear Tricker's Stow Country boot in UK size 7, converse in size 8. My Alden chukka is in size 7. Hope that help you get a point of reference.

I swear I saw at least 3 more size of AF57 in D width just a week ago in Alden of Carmel. It's going fast!

Here are pics of my desert boots in beeswax leather. These things wear really quickly. I've had these for a couple of months and wear them really infrequently.

Probably worn these a dozen times and no more than three times "hard". The creases formed after wearing them the first few times and have become more defined after wearing them a little more. They're getting a nice patina on the sides too.

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

keep us up to date with those Greg. What are you selling? I don't think we are compatible sizes anyway are we.

I stopped by the RM Williams shop in London yesterday, as I was passing by. I've never seen those in person before but I must say I was pretty impressed.

Here are pics of my desert boots in beeswax leather. These things wear really quickly. I've had these for a couple of months and wear them really infrequently.

Wow, they do wear hard. I tried some on the other day and they felt like I didn't have any shoes on at all. A friend with me said that was what he thinks of as comfort. I told him that a well fitting shoe that supports foot and ankle is what I think of as comfort....

keep us up to date with those Greg. What are you selling? I don't think we are compatible sizes anyway are we.

I'm selling my 9.5E pair of 875s, new in box. I think I'll try a larger size. Item number: 170185546887:

875.front.gif

875.box.gif

I stopped by the RM Williams shop in London yesterday, as I was passing by. I've never seen those in person before but I must say I was pretty impressed.

They're quite simply the best and also most rugged Chelsea boots I've ever seen. They kick Lobb's butt.

Got the cigar shell cordovan chukka boots this morning at the NYC Alden store. They do look like my dad's, and they seem to fit very well. The store seems to have sizes too! Of course, pictures later!

fre$co - Good question about the difference. From my pokings around the web, and around stores, it's an informal difference that shakes out like this.

Jodhpurs seem to refer more to boots with buckles than boots with elastic sides. This is how Wordnet at Princeton defines them. But the word seems to be able to refer to elastic sided boots as well.

Dealer boots seem to be a more rustic, rugged, thick-soled elastic sided boot with a broad or round toe box , including with a rubber sole. For what we see in the U.S., I think maybe Blundstones would be a good example.

Chelsea boots seem to be a dressier version of the dealer boot. Polished, thinner sole, longer fahionable toe box.

Anyone else?

I think work boots and combat boots (basically work boots) are well known here.

Interesting that we don't talk a lot about Western boots, engineer boots, or logger boots. There are some sites that specialize in those, sometimes mixing with erotica. I've had engineers and loggers, but never a real comfortable pair of either. But I have yet to order to-measure from White's or Wesco too. As for Western boots - I always like them and have had many super comfortable ones. Growing up in California and spending summers on a ranch in Oregon, I loved them. When I moved to New York many years later, I realized that around here they were associated with gigolos, Midnight Cowboy and all. Too much like a costume, sort of like trying to wear a fedora hat.

Thanks for the info chaps, interesting stuff. I think people often switch between the terms here in the UK then, I'm sure I've seen Trickers Henry boots called all three of those!

So Alden stocked up on the AF57 in NYC then? last week you said they were short and didn't know when more were coming.... Well that is good news, hopefully they will keep a stock until I can get there at the end of March.

Jodhpurs seem to refer more to boots with buckles than boots with elastic sides. This is how Wordnet at Princeton defines them. But the word seems to be able to refer to elastic sided boots as well.

Dealer boots seem to be a more rustic, rugged, thick-soled elastic sided boot with a broad or round toe box , including with a rubber sole. For what we see in the U.S., I think maybe Blundstones would be a good example.

Chelsea boots seem to be a dressier version of the dealer boot. Polished, thinner sole, longer fahionable toe box.

Anyone else?

I more or less agree. It seems that a Jodhpur boot is any boot compatible with half-chaps to give the appearance of a tall (horse) riding boot. However, I associate the Jodpur boot most with the buckle boot variation. It seems to me that the terms Dealer and Chelsea boots are interchangeable and it interesting to note that all 3 of these boots are equestrian boots in origin.

What about the cloth topped button boots? Are they just called button boots?

Dress boots like the Shannon? Just called dress boots?

I think work boots and combat boots (basically work boots) are well known here.

The cloth topped button boots to my knowledge are button boots. The Shannon is specifically a balmoral boot... and depending on who you talk to, the definition of a dress boot may be a balmoral boot.

Got the cigar shell cordovan chukka boots this morning at the NYC Alden store. They do look like my dad's, and they seem to fit very well. The store seems to have sizes too! Of course, pictures later!

What config? Leather sole? Commando? Crepe?

and depending on who you talk to, the definition of a dress boot may be a balmoral boot.

Good point. Most of my dressy shoes, even C&J Villiers, are blucher-style, not balmoral style. Only my C&J Cliffords are bals.

What config? Leather sole? Commando? Crepe?

Double-leather! I'm thinking of putting steel v-plates in the heels, real 50's style. I'll kill myself walking down those slippery subway hallways and office lobbies, but these shoes are nostalgic for me....

Interesting that we don't talk a lot about Western boots, engineer boots, or logger boots. There are some sites that specialize in those, sometimes mixing with erotica. I've had engineers and loggers, but never a real comfortable pair of either. But I have yet to order to-measure from White's or Wesco too. As for Western boots - I always like them and have had many super comfortable ones. Growing up in California and spending summers on a ranch in Oregon, I loved them. When I moved to New York many years later, I realized that around here they were associated with gigolos, Midnight Cowboy and all. Too much like a costume, sort of like trying to wear a fedora hat.

I wear a fedora hat everyday! Or my newsboy, but mostly my fedoras...

it's all in just doing it. I usually don't wear a suit with it as my job doesn't usually require one. I go mostly with the work wear look with it. But if it's cold enough I have a nice A2, or Aero Half belt I usually go with. But I do have some vintage jackets also that look nice with a fedora. Fedoras and leather go well together. Of course just a nice pair of shoes and a fedora go well together too. As long as your fedora's isn't bright red or orange...

Got 2 shoes today. Here's a quick one of the cigar shell chukka boot. It's hard to capture this warm and subtle brown in my indoor lighting, even with photographer's bulbs. I love the staining on the welt. These are just like my dad's shoes he wore all through the 50s and 60's. I'll try to do some more photos in sunlight.

chukka.gif

And here are the Cat's Paw Indies, the brick-colored neoprene sole swapped out for leather sole, then Cat's Paw over that. I hope to have more of these later as well!

indy.splay.gif

indy,sole.gif

indy.heel.gif

indy.side.gif

Cat's Paw drawing by Lucian Bernhard, 1947. Also the designer of the Bernhard Gothic font.

cat-life-04-08-1957-19.jpg

indy.cp.gif