Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Those are the Rogues gallery mocs. :)

sorry,

i was thrown off because he said it was a new brand called carleton. As I remember, this was a special one time deal where rogues gallery was using the same manufacturer as LL bean. I did not think they were going to continue these season after season. I could find out in a few weeks when I am in NYC. I have an appt with them and I will ask.....

sorry,

i was thrown off because he said it was a new brand called carleton. As I remember, this was a special one time deal where rogues gallery was using the same manufacturer as LL bean. I did not think they were going to continue these season after season. I could find out in a few weeks when I am in NYC. I have an appt with them and I will ask.....

i think the guy who started rogues gallery is named carleton

thanks again for the "other" pair

;)

How do they fit? They had fit me like a dream, felt like New Balance sneakers. But the way this year's 875s are cut, for some reason they don't fit my feet the same way. None of the 9, 9.5 or 10 feel just right. It's a challenge though, and I'm playing with inserts now. The other models feel a lot better.

(For those wondering why I gave away a pair that was so comfortable, the diva-ex-army guy in me didn't like the denim stains on the surface of the leather, and I think I found a way to prevent them from happening as much, so I thought I'd get a new pair and try it out.)

For anyone who's interested in seeing how these boots were worn at the turn of the 20th century in small farming and working communities, I would recommend watching the movie There Will be Blood. A lot of the characters wear boots that look like White's Semi-Dress and Farmer-Rancher. There are a lot of other reasons to see this film, but even if you aren't blown away by Daniel Day-Lewis or the flawless production, you're going to love the wardrobes.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount_vantage/therewillbeblood/domestictrailer1/

wintermovies_therewillbeblood.hmedium.jpg

I went Red Wing crazy this last weekend. I couldn't find a pair of 875s that was as comfortable as the pair I gave away. So I tried two other styles, the black 8130s and a model I had never seen before. Brown oil-tanned 8146s with a chunky Vibram sole. Now *these* are comfortable! And they are darker than they appear in this photo. More pictures later.

Greg, those are interesting finds. I have the 8138s, which I believe, are the boots on the right but with the regular white crepe sole rather than the Vibram sole. I love them, and for me with the right insole (superfeet) they are as comfortable as any sneaker I own. I've never seen them with a vibram, and I can understand why you are excited, but for comfort alone, I prefer the white sole.

(For those wondering why I gave away a pair that was so comfortable, the diva-ex-army guy in me didn't like the denim stains on the surface of the leather, and I think I found a way to prevent them from happening as much, so I thought I'd get a new pair and try it out.)

Taping the inside hem? Rolling 'em up? Wanna share this technique?

I went Red Wing crazy this last weekend. I couldn't find a pair of 875s that was as comfortable as the pair I gave away. So I tried two other styles, the black 8130s and a model I had never seen before. Brown oil-tanned 8146s with a chunky Vibram sole. Now *these* are comfortable! And they are darker than they appear in this photo. More pictures later.

rws.all.gif

I'm really feeling those black 8130's... ...where to cop, Greg?

Taping the inside hem? Rolling 'em up? Wanna share this technique?

Last time I got really dark denim stains because of the slightly tacky surface from the Sno Seal. This time I'm using some a silicone spray (yes, I know) and Meltonian leather lotion. This Meltonian leaves a very smooth, almost artificial sheen to the surface. Maybe the denim won't take hold. And I'll try to wear only one-wash denim with those shoes. The white soles of course are still vulnerable, even to one-wash denim, as I found out this weekend with my Union Stars. I'll let youse guys know...

Greg, those are interesting finds. I have the 8138s, which I believe, are the boots on the right but with the regular white crepe sole rather than the Vibram sole. I love them, and for me with the right insole (superfeet) they are as comfortable as any sneaker I own.

I've got some Superfeet, and they rock! But in my new 875s they lift the heel up and the wider, lower part of my heel then runs into the seam over the heel counter. I had the heel counters punched out today at Alex's, so will try the Superfeet again tonight.

I'm really feeling those black 8130's... ...where to cop, Greg?

David Z on 14th by Union Square. Dave's New York has them too, but David Z has more sizes.

sorry,

Hehe, I've never seen those shoes before but they're branded "rogues gallery". Nice boots.

Hey GregNYC, fantastic posts on this thread by the way. I feel like I've taken a master class just reading them.

I remember you or someone saying you were not impressed with the quality of Nom De Guerre's Tricker's collaboration? Did you find them completely inferior to Tricker's otherwise? I am wondering because Nom De Guerre seems to be the only place in NY that stocks my enourmous shoe size in Tricker's.

Does anyone have any opion on the quality of the Tricker's/NDG wingtips?

Hey GregNYC, fantastic posts on this thread by the way. I feel like I've taken a master class just reading them.

I remember you or someone saying you were not impressed with the quality of Nom De Guerre's Tricker's collaboration? Did you find them completely inferior to Tricker's otherwise? I am wondering because Nom De Guerre seems to be the only place in NY that stocks my enourmous shoe size in Tricker's.

Does anyone have any opion on the quality of the Tricker's/NDG wingtips?

I remember you or someone saying you were not impressed with the quality of Nom De Guerre's Tricker's collaboration? Did you find them completely inferior to Tricker's otherwise?

Thanks for reminding me where I tried on those Trickers! I'd forgotten the name of that store down there in the West Village. There was one other place by Broadway and Spring Street, a Japanese-owned boutique on the basement level. I think they both had 9.5s or 10s as the smallest size in stock and were too large for me. But what got me was this - both the the Tricker's models I tried on had a gap where the heel was not firmly glued/nailed to the sole. I was surprised - in spite of the $750+ price tag (as I remember), I found the workmanship markedly inferior to most of the other brands we talk about here.

Since they were the only Trickers I've ever seen, I can't compare them to other Trickers.

This might be because both these stores were primarily clothing boutiques, and weren't serious about shoes. They had the Trickers on display more for atmosphere, if you know what I mean. Yes, they had a few sizes in stock, but it was like the shoes functioned more like a stage prop more than an item to stock and sell.

If there were a store in NYC that really stocked a solid line of Trickers, I'd definitely try some more!

The Tricker's at NDG aren't really collaborations, they are plain burnished calf Stow models from Tricker's in england. I have a pair used from ebay, and I'm up to 4 pair now. I've found the quality of tricker's to be second to none.

The Tricker's at NDG aren't really collaborations, they are plain burnished calf Stow models from Tricker's in england. I have a pair used from ebay, and I'm up to 4 pair now. I've found the quality of tricker's to be second to none.

The Stows I tried on at NDG were beige suede with a brick-red sole. This was about a year ago....

IMG_1170.jpg

as anticipated, cat's paws are wearing down like butter.

Are these an everyday wear? What will you replace them with??

The pic on the right answers one question I had. How deep do the white dots go? I have a few pairs of un-installed heels at home, and couldn't tell if the white was just a cosmetic design element, or actually a different type of rubber as the ads imply.

BTW, my Cat's Paw Indies should be arriving today......

Are these an everyday wear? What will you replace them with??

The pic on the right answers one question I had. How deep do the white dots go? I have a few pairs of un-installed heels at home, and couldn't tell if the white was just a cosmetic design element, or actually a different type of rubber as the ads imply.

BTW, my Cat's Paw Indies should be arriving today......

how many days have you worn those? That seems like some crazy wear even for one month.

I am picking up my custom wesco's today in about two hours. They finished exactly 20 days early (I was actually hoping for this...underpromise, over deliver) I will post pics as soon as I can.

it's about 30days of everyday wear. and even though i live in LA, i actually walk to work. so that combined with the way i walk, i'm pretty sure i'm very hard on my shoes.

although i love the way these look, it seems like cat's paws aren't for my lifestyle right now. pretty sure i'm going to try to get vibrams 705s next.

these cat's paws probably would work great for me if i drove to work like the rest of LA and mainly walked around in them indoors. btw greg, about the white dots that's supposed to help you from slippage, i almost wiped out on a wet marble surface the other day when i was raining. didn't seem to help much. :(

blake, looking forward to your pics.

wet marble + shoes = broken neck

I almost busted my ass walking into my building this morning

nothing more slippery than wet marble and shoes with leather soles like the shoes i'm wearing today

Just a side note: but how come when you watch old movies the cops or detectives are always running around (in the rain) with what has to be leather soled dress shoes, and they never fall?

Chicken: nice wear on those semi's

Blake: Post as soon as you can!

Just a side note: but how come when you watch old movies the cops or detectives are always running around (in the rain) with what has to be leather soled dress shoes, and they never fall?

I've thought about that for years actually. Staying on their feet on slick sidewalks and bank floors was an accomplishment even in dry conditions. And their shoes always make a cool clicking sound. I tried to mimic that as a kid before I realized that, duh, I was wearing sneakers!

A: Wet, worn, soles without any slick finish on them becomes pretty adhesive when it's wet.

B: All that sound was recorded by foley artists after filming in a sound studio. Its rather amusing to watch some older movie (such as the 60's Bond movies) where people are speaking at a different rate or enunciation to what you hear. Sometimes, barely English!