Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

The Bob stitch is a chain-stitch I'm pretty sure. And because the loop is not channeled, then you walk off the loop pretty quickly.

Greg at Eddie's and Nick at B. Nelson told me that if you do the glue stage correctly then you totally don't need rivets, nails or stitching. Nick told me that the skyving you do with the rubber sole makes it nice and flush as it joins the midsole at the waist. If you stitch right there, it will actually make a less integrated join. And indeed in the Bob stitches I've seen here, this is what it looks like. Not too precise, and maybe not too flush either.

I still do like the look. But then I like Demonito's nails and rivets too!

It will be cool if I could actually try on a Shannon or at least something that would allow them to predict my size...

Unfortunately, I do not think anyone carries the Shannon as an in-stock boot. The only thing you can do is to try on a bunch of shoes to see what last fits you. However, and this is where my pair sort of go wrong is that you can't find out if the top of the boot fits correctly.

Greg at Eddie's and Nick at B. Nelson told me that if you do the glue stage correctly then you totally don't need rivets, nails or stitching.

I am skeptical that the stitching adds much of any strength myself. There are plenty of shoes that are held together with only glue and most of them certainly do not fall apart. I agree that if the glue is applied correctly the shoe will stay together as it should. However, I do like the look of the stitching along the outside at least. The Bob stitch, well I guess I'm not opposed to it.

6h822r.jpg

frideswide, who makes those oxblood-colored shoes on the left side? those edward green, too?

Yes, sorry.. I should have said they are all Edward Greens. Bought over the course of many years (I can't even remember how much they cost...). As I live in Oxfordshire, I occasionally go up to Northampton to pick up a new pair or have some old ones re-soled at the factory.

I am skeptical that the stitching adds much of any strength myself. There are plenty of shoes that are held together with only glue and most of them certainly do not fall apart. I agree that if the glue is applied correctly the shoe will stay together as it should. However, I do like the look of the stitching along the outside at least. The Bob stitch, well I guess I'm not opposed to it.

we need sufu myth busters. :D

we need sufu myth busters. :D

Agreed. Questions like, "Whats the best oil/cream/wax/paste/spit for cow/horse/rabbit/suede/velveteen/silk leather?" or "What's this stitch/hole/nail/rivet/ on the heel/midsole/outsole/vamp/counter/waist/myass for? need to be answered.

Agreed. Questions like, "Whats the best oil/cream/wax/paste/spit for cow/horse/rabbit/suede/velveteen/silk leather?" or "What's this stitch/hole/nail/rivet/ on the heel/midsole/outsole/vamp/counter/waist/myass for? need to be answered.

the truth but seriously i wnt some answers on one of those words in there.. yes seriously

so I'm wearing my new to me Florsheim Imperials with the metal V-cleat and nailed heel and turn a corner at work on the just waxed smooth floor and ...yes you guessed it. "Wham" and not the George Michaels type. Flat on the floor in 1 second flat.

I love the vintage-ness of the shoes, but I need something else there. What can I put over the metal so I don't wipe out again?

0d710b00.jpg

7b27d2dd.jpg

picked these up a few days ago from a boot repair shop. they'd been sitting in a corner and had so much dust on them I couldn't even tell what colour they were at first. Got them for $20. They fit perfect and are suede, brand seems to be Church's. however, the lining inside the shoe is peeling off the sides. Would a bit of glue help correct this?

edit: just looked this brand up on google and they seem to make rather expensive shoes...might have got myself a great pair of shoes for an even greater deal!

so I'm wearing my new to me Florsheim Imperials with the metal V-cleat and nailed heel and turn a corner at work on the just waxed smooth floor and ...yes you guessed it. "Wham" and not the George Michaels type. Flat on the floor in 1 second flat.

I love the vintage-ness of the shoes, but I need something else there. What can I put over the metal so I don't wipe out again?

Take it to a cobbler and have them swap it out for a hard rubber plug. I find in these slippery leather soles, I have to lean forward more when I walk, even on declines. I've fallen too, and most falls are pratfalls, not forward. The shoes slide out in front. So I compensate a bit.

Indy weekend! I'm wearing my Indy boots all weekend, inlcuding to see the movie. That will probably be tomorrow evening....

I went to the opening night and all I could think was "Why don't I have Indy boots...". Indy rules, I don't know what those twats in Cannes are thinking. :)

Have a nice movie!

My Edward Green Galways, probably about 3yrs old. Double leather soles (I don't believe in rubber myself --- it reduces my pleasure :) ).

I've worn them all over Asia (Korea, Taiwan, Japan) in typhoon season, teaming with rain, etc., over rocky ground, the works.

2rc1mgw.jpg

wow. those boots are just in a class of its own. what i wonder is how have you taken care of them? also i have heard leather soles will break quite quickly in wet conditions but yours look just fine?

Indy weekend! I'm wearing my Indy boots all weekend, inlcuding to see the movie. That will probably be tomorrow evening....

Awww, freak! my boots are in the shop right now.

So my co-worker asks me, "You gonna see the new Indiana Jones this weekend?"

I reply, "Naw man, I can't. My Indy boots are in the shop. Can't watch a new Indiana Jones movie without my Indy boots."

My co-worker pauses for a second and slowly backs away.

I agree on two counts - (1) RMW fit very close to the foot. Actually for me, they are about the best fitting boot right out of the box that I've ever had on. I ran 5 miles in a pair of Craftsman a few times (forget what the heck I was doing!). Inserts would only make them cramped and too small. (2) The sizing in Alden, Whites and Red Wings are remarkably similar. All classic American brands!

agreed my craftsman's fit amazingly - yet strangely the same size in a different type of RMW boot is much larger :(. They're really cool looking though maybe once i wear my foot shape into the leather they'll be a bit more comfy. My craftsman's have huge dints in the sole where the balls of my feet have pushed into them, it makes them really comfy :).

5cf8_1.JPG

4b20_1.JPG

I saw this early pair of jump boots that were re-soled after the war with the stitching that was highlighted earlier...

currently on ebay # 260242319120

5cf8_1.JPG

4b20_1.JPG

I saw this early pair of jump boots that were re-soled after the war with the stitching that was highlighted earlier...

currently on ebay # 260242319120

Great find! Almost my size too. The Bob stitch, glue and nails, that Cat's Paw ain't coming off any time soon! Looks like an older Cat's Paw - I'd guess, on very little data to go on, that the resole job is at least 25 years old.... Better not to guess though!

Red Wing Gentleman Travelers are great. I have the 9011 in Black Cherry and it made it through the slush all winter looking sharp.

They're about my favorite-looking work boots. Just wish they weren't so narrow. Even after getting them stretched, they're uncomfortable.

Summer Boot Sale!!

Here at Stronghold, we're offering a special boot sale for SuperFuture readers: All of our in-stock boots will be sold at Factory direct pricing as supplies last. Prices break down as follows:

Semi Dress w/ Leather Soles: $359

Lace to Toe Smoke Jumpers: $418

Shipping is $10 in the states, $40 International

This is a great deal if you're looking for White's boots, but can't live with a 6week build time!

Here's what we've got:

SemiDress Brown, Leather soles, Copper Hardware, All Eyelets (all D width): 8, 8.5, 9.5, 10

Semi Dress Black, Brown Leather Soles, Copper Hardware, All Eyelet: 9.5, 10

Distressed Roughout, Natural Leather Soles, Copper Hardware, Eyelets w/Hooks: 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10

6" Lace-to-toe SmokeJumpers, Dress Brown Leather, Leather Soles, Copper Hardware, All Eyelet: 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10

IMG_0503-1.jpg

IMG_0517-1.jpg

IMG_0505-1.jpg