SC 47's, Now W/O Pocket Stitching

Edge_Of_Denim

Well I would certainly hold up my 1920s 201s made in 1999 up against any Japanese maker as far as being true to the originals. Allot of the Japanese denim I've seen is way over done as far as weight compared to original vintage Levis. Most pre 1930s Levis were 9 or 10 oz. This blue line denim on these 20s 201s is incredible. Tough as nails. Most of the other repro makers that I've seen from that have made rpros from that era have the buckles in the wrong place, the denim is 12 + ozs so until I see one of these other companies making acurate reproductions of those early Levis jeans like the 1901s, 20s 201s, 33 501s and 37 501s I'll search out the older LVCs of these models. Actually LVC will be reissuing their 33 501s raw in the fall line so I know thats where money will go.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jeffvyain

if you like the lightweight denim then more power to you. i personally love the heavier stuff...and i haven't seen a single pair of jeans fade like the canes or eternals everyone loves. it's not a matter of being true to the originals for me. it's a matter of feeling like i'm wearing the best quality out there. i don't think i'd feel that way in any pair of Levis

Sounds like we are looking for two different things. I'm looking for repro jeans that are as close to being acurate to the originals as I can find. Not an improved or beefed up version. Thats not for me. If you like heavier denim thats great but there is something very cool about some of this blue line selvege or the denim LVC used on their 1901s. And those originals didn't have heavy denim, 9 or 10 oz is all the originals were

true, after japan, i'd go french (ALD, APC), then Swedish, then vintage USA, then...

interesting! i'd actually do APC first, then USA (r&b, 5EP), then swedish, then try out some aussie brands cos they're closer to home. imperials, mjolk, stuff like that.

What's funny is -- and maybe this is just a testament to the power of branding -- none of the repro-Japanese arcuates really look as good to me as the one, true Levis arcuate (esp. the classic one on the '47 501). Something about the Levis arcuate looks so pure. In fact, I appreciate the Levis arcuate even more in spite or because of the repro arcuates. Chew on that, Levis hotshots! (who probably read this forum :P )

What's funny is -- and maybe this is just a testament to the power of branding -- none of the repro-Japanese arcuates really look as good to me as the one, true Levis arcuate (esp. the classic one on the '47 501). Something about the Levis arcuate looks so pure. In fact, I appreciate the Levis arcuate even more in spite or because of the repro arcuates. Chew on that, Levis hotshots! (who probably read this forum :P )

agreed. another classic is lee's sine wave (sineuate?).

actually, i really like evisu's seagull symbol. i love its asymmetry.

True. It's probably one of the reasons why Levi's stood the test of time. Also, most, if not all of those Japanese repro arcuates in the photo are designed so that you can cut out the extra thread to make it look like the original arcuate. Which to me means that both the makers and the buyers agree, too. People love the arcuate.

I prefer the single needle arcuate myself.....

IMG_7488.jpg

I really DO NOT like those gull wings!!!!! Everyone has there own thing, Thats what makes this denim thing so cool. I like the early LVCs stuff both in time periods being reproduced and also the early Valencia St stuff. Its CLASSIC in both fit and style.

Seems like the real trim stuff is all the fad right now (again) Tight jeans were all the rave in the 60s & 70s. Late 80s, 90s baggy hip hop now trim again but the anti fit has remaned constant. The cut of these early Levis in my opinion still looks great. Search out a pair of 1920s or 37s and you will not be disappointed.

i pray cmf homme will not be sued by levi's

oh... the cmf homme have blank pockets. comeon... i know my customer base, they dont want levis arcuates on thier jeans.

the others are the original rrl pocket stitching. i guess ralph is the one who should worry. the newer rrls dont have it. not the ones ive seen all over ebay at least.

• 3 months later...

this is a little bit off the topic but has anybody noticed how much the stitching on the back of men's ae jeans looks basically like the edwin thing. i'm assuming it's the ae people that "borrowed" the edwin design because i don't think edwin would want to be associated with ae jeans.

20050508-190106-z823.jpg

0111_2059_973.jpg

yeah i did that too. I think that the loose copyright laws in japan are biting edwins ass on this one, since they probably can't sue AE for th same reasons Levis can't sue all the japanese companies that blatantly infringe them.