Are NUDIES done?

damnIam

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nudies have been mainstream here in north/west Europe for several years now. I find it quite amusing to read that Nudies are now 'played out' because (according to the topic starter) too many stores in the US are selling them.

By the way, although tons of stores are selling Nudie here in Amsterdam, not many of them sell the selvage models.

reporter: "what do you think about western civilization?"

gandhi: "i think it would be a good idea."

i love my nudies, and being in the middle of oklahoma, i've never seen others wearing them. but cheap monday is definetly off the list..... they can thank you-know-who for that

Been perusing the fashion trade journals and the consensus is that designers and retailers are pushing the undistressed look. DNR: "at once casual and dressy, the look centers around imperally slim jeans in dark shades of raw indigo or black." Then they show some guys in blazers and tuxedo shirts in them raw jeans.

My sense is that the mass public and even the fashion media are confused by what raw denim is all about. All the photo shoots of models in raw denim revolve around the fact that they look clean and dressy. We all know that's not the main reason why we go raw. We are not anti-honey combs/holes/rips/patches/whiskers. We just don't want them put there by a factory.

With that said I hope consumers aren't suckered into wearing raw jeans for a clean look and then feeling disappointed a few months down the road when fading appears.

Oh, and Nudies, Prps, ACNE, Cap E, Kicking Mule are all featured as must have jeans alongside 7FAM, Earnest Sewn, Citizen, and True Religion. har har har

Quote:

its kind of funny with the large stores in the US... one season its distressed/light colour denim (usually spring/summer), then its dark (fall/winter), then its back to light... and sometimes they'll try and make cords popular again. lol

--- Original message by dnarnya on Jun 14, 2006 04:50 AM

This is so people have to continually buy new stuff to be "in". If jeans, black t-shirt, and frye boots were always in, then nobody would have to buy anything and good ole calvin klein and hilfiger would be out of a job. Not to mention the CEOs of banana republic and limited. A changing wardrobe feeds the fashion industry.

I'm seeing double... 4 chickens!

I agree, Guru, change the 'tar.

As for the fashion industry and what they've forecasted as the upcoming trend, that's the business of fashion. It's not like designers don't know tons about jeans. It just so happens that most of the people who buy their jeans don't, and it's not really worth it to educate them, when all they do is buy stuff cuz it's in.

Guest Montreal

Truth be told, I'm kind of happy that Nudie didn't really catch on in North America. I enjoy wearing my Nudie's because a) they are amazing jeans, B) they fit great) and finally c) I never see anyone else rockin' them. A lot of people are up on Nudie's, but not a lot of people fork over $300 for a pair of jeans that have no distressing and all that jazz.

I think Nudie will continue to grow, however. They can thank their trendy back-pocket design for that.

Quote:
Quote:

its kind of funny with the large stores in the US... one season its distressed/light colour denim (usually spring/summer), then its dark (fall/winter), then its back to light... and sometimes they'll try and make cords popular again. lol

--- Original message by dnarnya on Jun 14, 2006 04:50 AM

This is so people have to continually buy new stuff to be "in". If jeans, black t-shirt, and frye boots were always in, then nobody would have to buy anything and good ole calvin klein and hilfiger would be out of a job. Not to mention the CEOs of banana republic and limited. A changing wardrobe feeds the fashion industry.

--- Original message by rnrswitch on Jun 14, 2006 01:03 PM

yeh thats very true. fashion companies gotta figure out ways to repackage something to sell again, otherwise they'd be out of business... especially with something typical like jeans. everyone has jeans in their wardrobe so companies have to figure out how to sell someone the same product again and again. i think after the last few years and the "premium" denim thing becoming so big, i can see raw denim becoming really really big. why? it's the perfect product. they'll start marketing how you want that perfect dark unwashed color... and when unknowledgable users wash the jeans and make them fade.. they gotta buy more.

"just walked in to the ol' express with the ol' girlfriend and saw some completely undistressed, dark indigo girls jeans on the front and center mannequin. not raw though. gf's opinion: nobody will buy them because they don't have fake distressing."

dump her

just kidding

Quote:

"just walked in to the ol' express with the ol' girlfriend and saw some completely undistressed, dark indigo girls jeans on the front and center mannequin. not raw though. gf's opinion: nobody will buy them because they don't have fake distressing."

dump her

just kidding

--- Original message by verver on Jun 15, 2006 08:07 AM

My old lady manages an express. She says they are pushing undistressed jeans (the company that is). She says people are warming up to the idea simply because they already have plenty of over distressed jeans and need some "blue" jeans.

I think it will catch on. All they have to do is throw millions of cash into marketing and whamo everyone wants dark blue denim. Maybe a cover story in People about how brad and angelina will only wear top notch Japanese denim and would expect nothing less for their kid.

Edited by rnrswitch on Jun 15, 2006 at 12:57 PM

I think it's ridiculous to state that Nudies are either trendy or done. It would be just better to state what the company is good at and where they should improve.

Like for instance,

Good:

- decent quality raw selvage denim

- good cuts/varied styles

- Stitching seems very good quality

- easy to button (when compared to say sugarcanes... stupidsexycanes)

- Catchy brand name and pocket stitching (from a strictly commercial point of view)

- Awareness for raw denim and breaking in jeans

Bad:

- Washes are mediocre

- Distressing is some of the worst I've seen

- absolutely miserable 'repro' editions

- Pocket stitching is the same on every jean, and gets to be annoying like BSB song

- not enough variety in raw dyes.

- seems like they're trying to turn a niche product into an overly commercial success. Bad idea

I think that the last point sums it up. The brand maybe had the right idea to start, but in terms of combining the best of both worlds, it hasn't happened yet imo.

I think it's ridiculous to state that Nudies are either trendy or done. It would be just better to state what the company is good at and where they should improve.

Like for instance,

Good:

- decent quality raw selvage denim

- good cuts/varied styles

- Stitching seems very good quality

- easy to button (when compared to say sugarcanes... stupidsexycanes)

- Catchy brand name and pocket stitching (from a strictly commercial point of view)

- Awareness for raw denim and breaking in jeans

Bad:

- Washes are mediocre

- Distressing is some of the worst I've seen

- absolutely miserable 'repro' editions

- Pocket stitching is the same on every jean, and gets to be annoying like BSB song

- not enough variety in raw dyes.

- seems like they're trying to turn a niche product into an overly commercial success. Bad idea

I think that the last point sums it up. The brand maybe had the right idea to start, but in terms of combining the best of both worlds, it hasn't happened yet imo.

I still can't imagine why so many people are knocking Nudie. Virtually everybody that posts here is into breaking in their dry denim. Not everybody chooses Nudies but lets not forget that Nudie was the first company (as far as I know) that recommended not washed your dry denim jeans for 5-6 months to get that personal worn in effect that everybody is after. They basically started this whole thing and now you guys are saying they are 'done' just because they are getting popular. And personally, I don't think they are all extremely popular and I live near the only store in the state I live in that sells them and I have yet to seen anybody else wearing Nudies except the guys who work at the store that sell them. Also how popular can something be if there are only 55 stores in the entire US that carry them (according to the Nudie website)...in my opinion that is still a relatively small number. No, I am not a Nudie fanatic or anything but I just don't see how this company can be declared 'done.'

Edited by Anguished Irony on Jun 15, 2006 at 01:36 PM

Its like anything, you will always get snobs who loved something one minute, but hate it when it goes mainstream.

If you liked a musician when only you had heard of them, how can you suddenly dislike them when their album gets to number one and their album goes platinum?

Its the same with clothes and certain brands - thats just the way some people are.

For all we know, soon Japanese brands may no longer be seen as 'cutting edge' and for example the next world denim hotspot could be brands from Russia or whatever.

Sadly I feel there is a mentality of the 'lemming' when it comes to fashion. "Oh Japanese repro jeans are in now. Shit. Have to sell all the Swedish brands I bought last year then"

If you liked the cut of your Nudies or whatever last year, why dont you like them this year, just because your colleague or next door neighbour might have them this year?

Please click my website for some cool stuff for sale

Various brand new Edwins and new footwear UK 11 / US 12. Updated regularly.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/j-edwards/superfuture.htm

Edited by sneakeraddict on Jun 15, 2006 at 02:20 PM

I think anyone who's read, 'The Tipping Point' can empathize with the myriad of fickle reasons and circumstances which bring something to the peak of its popularity and back.

Despite any of the number of fads in Denim, whether it be a style or brand, denim is clearly recognized as a trend that does not go away. Take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy the ride.

I love my Nudies, but everytime I watch the Pepsi commercial about fitting into your old jeans, I wonder if that will be me in 15 years. That Ad is hilarious, and those jeans are clearly ball-crushingly tight!