topman

I think they're crap; sometimes chav, sometimes emo, sometimes utter student rubbish. Now i'm not bashing students (I am one) but you know the sort of thing I mean - "Shave My Beaver" and it'll have a picture of a beaver with a shaved head on the front.

It's also their complete random, yet predictable, designs that I can't stand. Nothing like pastel colours, a few random rips, paint splodges and a random number placed on the t-shirt.

You can really only use it for basics.

Parent of one baby Orangutan - Hsiao Ning, aged 2 years old.

High street is way overpriced and overrated. I don't like paying £20 for a t-shirt i'm going to see numerous times again on other people.

However, I just checked the topman web site and I do like the white/grey striped hoody.

Quote:

yeah..i definitely like those..but see not all that they make is that overpriced..look at zara or debenhams,duffer or fcuk?i think they are way overpriced than topman

--- Original message by drunkmunky_23 on Jun 10, 2006 08:37 AM

how can you put duffer in with all of those brands? i can almost see where your coming from with fcuk

topman isnt good for basics there t-shirt fit poorly the trousers and shirts are poorely made and the whole place is too common, h&m is much better better fitting clothing, and the majority of h&m clothing is plain, with out stupid paint splashes or numbers... so instead of walking round and seeing a bunch of guys in the same top as you and being able notice it you have a nice basic item from h&m.

duffer of st george are no way near the same level as topman. duffer is stocked in many designer stores or higher end markerts, selfridges stocks duffer in the mens contempory area and topman in the spirit (highstreet) area.

and i get from this thread you just like topman what ever people say and generally dont have much clue about the highstreet market or menswear fashion.

and by your name do you like the brand drunknmonkey? cause that would explain the whole topman thing

SUPERJUNKIE

Why would you get banned?

But yea, Topman is shit. The odd basic thing is ok (cardigans and whatnot), but nearly all the styled items are made for the average bloke walking down the street (which in most high streets is invariably a chav piece of shit).

H&M does seem a lot better in comparison. I'd say it was easily the best high street store now, notibly much better than overpriced/overstyled higher-end stores like All Saints and FCUK (I like to think All Saints is the new French Connection in a way...). High street stores take a lot of effort in general - you really have to sift through the shit and I just get annoyed when they're busy. They should have an online store...

Yeah I don't know how Duffer came into this topic? Do Topman produce £600 leather jackets?

I seen All Saints in Brighton and even though it wasn't my thing, I was impressed with their store layouts. I would say it was more high-end high-street.

Quote:

Why would you get banned?

But yea, Topman is shit. The odd basic thing is ok (cardigans and whatnot), but nearly all the styled items are made for the average bloke walking down the street (which in most high streets is invariably a chav piece of shit).

H&M does seem a lot better in comparison. I'd say it was easily the best high street store now, notibly much better than overpriced/overstyled higher-end stores like All Saints and FCUK (I like to think All Saints is the new French Connection in a way...). High street stores take a lot of effort in general - you really have to sift through the shit and I just get annoyed when they're busy. They should have an online store...

--- Original message by mrmax on Jun 10, 2006 04:44 PM

i was being sarcastic.

It's a bit too 'Pop Idol' for my tastes, distressed jeans and pastel t-shirts with rude prints

The layout and number of people in the Oxford Street store make shopping there a nightmare too - it's like a giant jumble sale

Topman is just outright shitty. The quality of the clothes is bad, the fit isn't brilliant, it's too generic and uses really bad slogans. Not only that, it's way to common for my liking too, I like to know that the clothes I'm wearing aren't going to be owned by at least 99999 other people within 2miles of where I'm living (just a *slight* exaggeration there)

But yeah, Topman sucks.

Quote:

i like topman

they sold kim jones and swear there

--- Original message by kakaro on Jun 12, 2006 04:53 AM

Topman Oxford Street by any chance? Seems to be the only decent one. Though I confess I saw a half decent knitted hoody in my local store.

Have an Illustrated Peoples hoody from Oxford Street & i'll be popping back when I can get some cash together.

I read an interview once with Kano (of grime scene fame) saying he wouldn't be seen dead in Topman.

But he'd pay crazy money for a lairy nasty piece of clothing, seemingly because its 'ghetto fab' or whatever.

I think Topman is pretty good, every now and then they'll have something that is really nice. I completely agree with the comments about chavs and that, and I guess I'm biased as I go to the Oxford Circus store.

But I'm the kind of guy that'll wear a £30 top from there cos it fits well and looks good with a more expensive pair of jeans, that fit well and look good.

So for the odd bits its good, in the same way as Zara (who, if they replenished stock more often would easily win the debate, when it comes to the smarter end of the spectrum).

So thats my pennies worth.

Yeah, it is definitely unintelligent to say Topman is simply "shit." Sure, the quality may not be up to par with your Loopwheeler t-shirt, but you get what you pay for.

As stated above, for odd bits, there is no better store. I have bought many things from Zara/Topman/H&M, etc. and for the price (even when you convert to U.S. dollars), Topman still can't be beat. 50% of their stuff may be hideous, but there are definitely ALWAYS some great pieces in store......

• 4 months later...

Topman seems to have imprved this season. Well, there's now actually 2 items I buy there - number 1, their 6 quid plain t shirts that come in a very fitted, cap sleeved XS cut, and they now have slim fit shirts that are genuinely slim fit - at 110lbs I'm buggered if I can find a nice fitting shirt in H&M, but the XS slim shirts in Topman are so slim they're ludicrously tight on my tiny frame, so for the first time ever I've found myself wearing a size S as a preference. At 20 quid with a student card you can't sniff at that, at least for someone who finds a nice fitting shirt once in a blue moon.

The skinny jeans are shit though, horrible washes and horrible quality. Some reasonably nice straight leg black selvedge though.

Generally everything's a lot blanker this season, the logo t shirt has died a death, and they've got the drop on H&M this season, which in Brighton has a terrible men's section beyond the same 2 stripe hoodies I see posted endlessly in WAYWT.

Absolutely awful. Overpriced, low quality sophomoric rubbish. American Apparel is FAR better for basics, and not much more expensive.

American Apparel basics are easily on par with Topshop in terms of quality and the prices are definitely higher (even with the horrible pound->dollar exchange)......I am not a huge AA fan.

I swear to god the Topman 'Vintage' tshirt is the root of all evil.

(i.e. the shirt that said Vintage across the front, not one of their styles)

During the summer you couldn't walk round any city in the UK without seeing it on at least 5 fat sweating middle aged men within 20 mins.

Ha, those t shirts were a running joke between me and my girlfriend for some time. The whole contradiction of a distressed t shirt having 'vintage' written on it obviously goes way over the heads of some people.

Anyhow, Topman seems to have moved away from that... or more to the point, it's brother company Burton seems to be the outlet for such trash.