break in straight leg jeans

mizanation

Yes you are right miz. When they cut the pattern for jeans, the knee is located in proportion to the length. I think it all boils down to the intended style of the jean to be worn.

I bought RRDS 28W34L and had it hemmed back to 29.5 inseam. That means the knee is 4.5 inches lower and does give a tapered effect that becomes more prominent as the jeans break in. The calf area hadn't stretched at all in 3weeks since i got them.

What I did to solve this (well, next time I'll try and find a shorter pair of jeans) is spray the area south of my knee with water, shove it full of hand towels (or socks will do), until it's packed tight, and just roll and beat the material until it loosens up. A lot of stretch occurs above the knee, unless you're a really active person, so unless you're aiming for a tapered look, or looking to wash your jeans more often, you have to do something to blance out the look.

Maybe it goes against the normal method of just wearing your jeans, but for those people who have different proportions/sizes, I believe you need to go that extra mile to get the right look.

Quote:

where do people prefer the break in straight leg jeans? right at the knee or further down?

many people, myself included wear jeans that are a little too long, so the break happens lower on the leg, making more of a tapered leg effect.

isn't the ideal break closer to the knee?

--- Original message by mizanation on May 18, 2006 12:27 PM

I prefer a break right at the knee. All of my best-fitting jeans are made in this manner. But I wear my jeans shorter than most people.

Quote:

Yes you are right miz. When they cut the pattern for jeans, the knee is located in proportion to the length. I think it all boils down to the intended style of the jean to be worn.

I bought RRDS 28W34L and had it hemmed back to 29.5 inseam. That means the knee is 4.5 inches lower and does give a tapered effect that becomes more prominent as the jeans break in. The calf area hadn't stretched at all in 3weeks since i got them.

What I did to solve this (well, next time I'll try and find a shorter pair of jeans) is spray the area south of my knee with water, shove it full of hand towels (or socks will do), until it's packed tight, and just roll and beat the material until it loosens up. A lot of stretch occurs above the knee, unless you're a really active person, so unless you're aiming for a tapered look, or looking to wash your jeans more often, you have to do something to blance out the look.

Maybe it goes against the normal method of just wearing your jeans, but for those people who have different proportions/sizes, I believe you need to go that extra mile to get the right look.

--- Original message by Yet Fung on May 18, 2006 01:58 PM

wow, interesting technique you have there, yet fung. calf area does get very little stretch action.

http://mizanation.blogspot.com

wild whiskey- yeah, the jeans that fit me the best are ones that break where my knees actually are.

the next pair of jeans i make will be based off of measurements instead of a set pattern. that way, i can make a pair of jeans that give me enough room in the thigh (i have huge thighs), but also break at the knee. also, i can make them long in the shin so that i can still cuff.

http://mizanation.blogspot.com