LVC made from authentic vintage denim????

Shorty Long

News to me. I've spoken to people who worked on the reissues in 96, seen the documentation and press releases, and nothing like this is mentioned.

I am also certain that if Levi's/Cone discovered a bolt of 1936 denim they would put it straight in their archive - why would they part with it, when it's a valuable resource? Maybe the seller heard the term deadstock and got confused...

He says it comes with a booklet so if that's where his info came from I'm sure he wouldn't mind showing you a photo or two where it specifically states that ..

Where does he say it comes with a booklet?

Sorry, I'm an eBay fan, but also a EBay sceptic. There are always over-inflated claims of how an article is a rare vintage item, but we have to take it on trust. If I were selling an item that was really made from 1936 denim, I'd include some documentation to prove it is what I say it is. This Type 1 jacket is well documented as being part of the first LVC line, and I will be convinced it's the standard item unless there's proof to the contrary.

To be charitable, I'd suggest maybe the seller heard the article was made from 'original Cone denim', and got over-excited.

The jacket also doesn't look as dark as most deadstock jackets. I think the dude might have washed it. That tag looks like it is easily replaceable. And that leather patch looks a little worn in too.

Edited by rnrswitch on May 18, 2006 at 01:17 PM

Not exactly a news flash, but eBay is loaded with counterfeits, and the billionaires who run it do virtually nothing to police the rampant fraud. I'm not saying this offering is legitimate or not, but the way eBay is run, you have to be very skeptical or you will be ripped off. Once again, not exactly a news flash, but I think the lot of people who buy on ebay forget this and get burned.

Well the jacket has definitely been washed. I'm not sure what to think either, but I've never heard of LVC being made with actual vintage denim. Paul is right, why would Levi's waste a valuable resource? I'm sure there are lots of Japanese repro companies who would love to get their hands on some Levi's denim from 1936.

This is one of those occasions whare the seller doesnt know they difference between selvage and salvage. So the seller thinks that the denim is salvaged fron the 30's instead of selvage denim that is a far cry from anything found in the 30's. It has been washed too. That 1996 denim is really furry too, I hate that.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on May 18, 2006 at 09:02 PM

EMailed the seller. His response: "L. Downey @ LS&co told the previous owner. He is a serious collector and I have no reason to doubt his word."

Sounds to me like there's nothing in the paperwork to support his claim, then. I've spoken to Lynn Downey about this range and there was no mention at all of finding old denim, although there was a great deal of discussion about getting the Cone looms up and working again. I'm certain she would have mentioned it, or shown old fabric to me, as I went through everything else in their archive.

Don'cha just love eBay? Someone tries to sell you a bridge, complete with paperwork, you ask if they really own it and they say, "I'm selling it for a friend, he is a bridge expert and I have no reason to doubt his word."

Edited by Paul T on May 19, 2006 at 02:09 AM