Storing raw LVC 1947 501s for extended time, will it affect the jeans?

DorianSmith

I want to purchase the jeans now, but I probably won't wear them for several months. I want to get them now just in case Levi's discontinues them. Will storing them without washing or wearing them effect the coloring or anything else in any way? Is there a certain preferred way to store raw denim, i.e. folded, hung from a hangar, etc? Can folding them cause fading or crack marks on the areas that are folded?

etc etc.

Thanks for any info

It's highly doubtful that just the act of storing them will affect the denim. I've seen deadstock Levis that are several years old in factory condition. If you can lay them down flat for storage, I think that would minimize any creasing that might happen. Otherwise, I think you'll be alright.

try to be less precious about jeans.

Whenever you have a question like this, always ask yourself, "Is this what the cowboys were worried about 100 years ago when they bought and wore their jeans?"

Everyone wants to get that authentic 'cowboy' aged effect, yet people are going to extraordinary lengths to baby their jeans as if they were cashmere suits.

I have no interest in that "authentic 'cowboy' aged effect" actually. I want to keep these jeans as raw, dark, and stiff. So, you presume too much. When Levi store ships them, they must be folded, so cant they just be left like the way they come shipped and put in a closet?

Ok well if you are determined to keep them in this condition, there is no point buying an LVC, which will inevitably fade in the way that I initially mentioned.

You would save a lot more money and get a similar jean, if you just buy a regular dark rinse Levis 501 that you can easily get for 1/3 of price.

Best wishes for the future

I would store them the way they display jeans in stores. I know that levis typically hangs up the 47s, but if you just fold them the way they do in most stores they should be fine. Halves along the vertical center, then thirds along the horizontal. In the end the right back pocket should be shown. Also, 47s will stay nice and dark as long as you don't machine wash them. Fading will occur eventually, but will be minimized by not washing them. I have a pair of new canes that are sitting in my dresser for the past six months stored this way.

yeah man, you'll be fine. you could hang them up if you had room but i'd fold them like he said and forget about them until you want to wear them.

i understand the question, i buy stuff sometimes and put it away to wear later, like years later. i have shoes from 8 or 9 years ago that I haven't worn yet, just sitting in the boxes. Your jeans will be fine if you don't rough them up. The indigo won't naturally fade by just sitting there unless it is in direct sunlight.

In don't think the question is absurd at all.. there's those vertical lines in the distressing of jeans like Sevens that imitate the vintage effect that deadstock jeans suffer from being stored in the front of the stores for long periods of time. So, keep them away from light and fold them/(don't fold them) the right way, to avoid unusual creases.