leather bracelets -- clean?

I'm thinking of getting one of those leather bracelets that are out these days. You know which ones I'm talking about? The popular one style is the one with the patch of leather on the part where a watch would go, but I'm thinking of getting one that looks like wrapped strips of leather. Regardless, my question is this -- I saw some being sold on the streets in SoHo the other day and was really tempted to buy one but I'm a little concerned about the quality of the leather. Are these street vendors safe? The last thing I want is to develop a skin allergy to some chemical from poor quality leather (you know how sometimes people buy cheap jewelry off the streets and develop a skin reaction to the nickel that's in them). If these street leathers are not safe, where are some legit places I could look for these bracelets?

Quote: I think its not recommended to wash leather, atleast normally, but I have a leather watch which I scrub like a couple of times a year with a brush and normal soap. removes the "blackness" that generates on dark leather and so far it has lasted very well.

Yeah, definitely not recommended. If you want a hint of an aged-antique look, clean it with some acetone then put some leather shoe cream on and rub it in; otherwise, buy some leather lotion/cleaner, or saddlesoap.......

In regards to an allergic reaction, unless the leather was taken from the uncleaned anus of a cow, you are going to be fine....

Edited by englandmj7 on May 12, 2006 at 11:34 AM