married to the mob

NYCtalk

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it has to be a joke, no one in their right mind would openly state how 'hot' this label is. the only reason people are pimpin' their shit (and I do mean shit) is because 1)they're girls and 2)they're from NYC. I can guarantee you if it were anyone else from anywhere else that shit would've been laughed at for even trying to look good. i've seen a fair amount of shit companies and shit designs surface in the past couple of years and this one takes the cake. married to the mob gets the gas face.

if they move, kill 'em.

i live in nyc (born and raised)...know these girls...know SSUR....seems like u are a just haters! and for the ladies--they are blowing the fuck up, whether u like it or not....no need to hate on the people...guess ya'll are out of towners.....just dont understand aNYone in the nyc, i guess...sad to see "grown" men hating on some girls, doing their thing...should support ladies in "our" scene...they are far and few between

Quote:

i live in nyc (born and raised)...know these girls...know SSUR....seems like u are a just haters! and for the ladies--they are blowing the fuck up, whether u like it or not....no need to hate on the people...guess ya'll are out of towners.....just dont understand aNYone in the nyc, i guess...sad to see "grown" men hating on some girls, doing their thing...should support ladies in "our" scene...they are far and few between

--- Original message by NYCtalk on Jan 9, 2005 07:13 PM

who gives a flying fuck where you or mttb are from. so I have to be from nyc to have an opinion about someone's clothing line? if you're going to stick up for them learn to take a little heat cuz they're gonna get a lot of it. btw, ssur hocks the same garbage as mttb--->Spencer's Gifts rejects with little or no imagination. when ssur russ gets an original idea let me know.

if they move, kill 'em.

First of all, why act like you stumbled upon this label, then admit that you know the person who does the graphic design. Why don't you just come out and say, "These are my girls from nyc, they do a hot lablel, etc"

Second, why is it wrong for "grown" men to hate on t-shirts made by girls in "our" scene? I don't rate clothing designs on how long someone has lived in a city, who they are dating, or what their gender is. The design should be based on its likability and its relation to what has been done in the past.

I am sorry but their first shot at a t-shirt line is not that impressive. They are basically slogan, gimmick based t-shirts.

Was anyone afraid to dis the ice creams casue they were designed by pharell and nigo...uh no..but anyone who disses Married to the Mob is treated as a hater? I guess if you "If you aint supporin the sistas, you aint fightin the power?"

Props to ladies in the scene making shirts that they like. A lot of the women's t-shirts being sold right now are being designed by men. Its fresh to see what ladies like and want to wear.

Just don't expect to post a thread about MTTB in a male dominated messageboard and not expect some hating.

if you're not new school, then you're a dropout!

yo, i know the ladies...it aint that serious...i never seeked out the line...not really that interested in girls tees. just happened to come across them on beinghunted..then heard it was on rthq--& checked it out-never peeped the shirts b4 that. but these girls know what's up....

yo, i know the ladies...it aint that serious...i never seeked out the line...not really that interested in girls tees. just happened to come across them on beinghunted..then heard it was on rthq--& checked it out-never peeped the shirts b4 that. but these girls know what's up....

Dolo, as usual is a moron and has left himself a window to say that he was just kidding when really, he was dead serious about mttb.

watch as he "edits" his posts as he does with all of them. the guy continues to be a panic freak who has to comment on every little thing that gets mentioned and make out like he's "in the know". little man in a little game by himself. it's weird to see him all over the adidas 35's like a little bitch. he's no better than any other bape or supreme clown.

la dee la.

actually, that's just it. i HAD seen these, before Dolo's mall-kiosk line was posted. however, there isn't much difference in the approach, which makes that shit so funny. Supreme Bitch? Come on. if these girls were fat and butchy Pratt students, would that whole crew have hooked them? no. it's that they're cute, they're down with the guys in that scene (russ, et al) and it's a new niche no one has really explored yet. so, even if shit is kinda WACK (opinions are still permitted, right?) it does have its place. i still say its a step back, but then again i'm the kind of 'grown man hater' who has only been heavily into this stuff since about '91. so what the hell do i know.

just don't be surprised when someone like Agnes B. collabos/supports this stuff and it makes a big turnaround. it's that easy.

ABEL, I agree with everything you just said and except it being a niche that no one explored yet. I think a fair share of labels have gotten involved and some have done some really good shit as far as designery urban wear for women goes, but haven't gotten much attention for it from this crowd.

Stussy has been making really nice women's designs for the scene for a while now, so has 2k. Or what about Missbehave right next to Nort & Recon? The whole store just stocks women's clothing for the scene as we're calling it.

Even Built by Wendy has started churning out more and more tees each season, and those are great as well!

Abel is 100 percent correct

And, my pal the crook is right. Built by wendy has really stepped up its game in terms of style (I'm still not a big fan of the tees though(. Not to mention there denim collabo with wrangler was nice, i copped a pair of the mens pants. Stussy has consistantly been putting out dope female tees, as well as gentle fawn and others.

Not everyone is going to like every brand out there.

That is why so many companies are always popping up every year and then silently going away.

I personally think it is stupid to pay high prices for t-shirts that have stupid sayings on them that are one or two color and they charge like $30-$60 a piece for them, when their cost was like $3-$5 to make each shirt.

If your going to charge that much at least have a good ringspun cotton shirt, with at least a 4 color screen print on it, and for gods sake take the "Haynes" label out of it and replace it with your own at least.

But this is my own opinion.

more of the commercial westcoasty artnerd 2k scene is comprised of women now, so yeah they do their thing. but you can do something as simple as take an album cover (read: Stakes is High) and have your own 2k shirt now...not to mention that was after the embarrassing "stakes ARE high" shirts that Fatbeats used to carry. embarrassing. 2k is more sanfran mush. i want nyc realness. these girls are from the city, no? so you have to sorta expect a lot, coming out of stores like Union and Ssur. i don't know i guess 2k flips some nice stuff but it's both too much and not enough.

also Stussy is really hard to like sometimes. they ride the fine line between OG pioneer crazy design skills true york etc., and suburban tourist poseur wack bullshit. i don't care how many dope skaters you 'sponsor' (i.e. give free shit to, to help your ad campaign). but yes, despite that stussy also does their thing, Stussy/Union/Supreme, it's all the same entity. so you would think...i don't know. maybe not.

i do agree tho, that i'm prolly missing a bunch of things without realizing it. but still-- it would be nice to see something for women that has some mystique, some sort of...substance. not just playing off the 'i'm hot you wanna fuck me' thing, or 'you could never fuck me', or 'i fuck a lot', etc. etc. and if these designers you speak of have risen above that, then i give them their due propers.

i salute anyone, for that matter, who creates something and has the power to impose it on the world. that is a very powerful thing, almost a privilege. in some measure however, i think that the artist can be poorly influenced by being so aware of what the people want, that their art changes to fit something. it's a bit sad, but occasionally very profitable.

although aesthetically wack, i think the mttm thing is a lot of things. interesting, funny, i hope they have a good time with and do some cool shit. they will get mad coverage, as can be seen from this one thread. and the Rivington hotel party was crazy packed (it was crazy wack, too) so people will definitely be scooping it. i mean you're coming to the game with some nice if not namepowerful backing (alife, ssur, aNYthing) so by virtue of that alone, shit will sell. but like the girls themselves said, at some point, even if things go 'well' for them, it just winds up being something you'll see on some young, new york or l.a. actress and then it's all over. or is it?

but hey at least you'll be able to say you were down from jump...

p.s. Fresh Outta Rehab is actually sorta funny. but how many legitimately hot, cool as fuck nyc art bitches are going to rock them? None. it'll be the dirty groupies who hang out with those guys, and some cute Asian girls like yuki at Memes.

Quote: not to mention that was after the embarrassing "stakes ARE high" shirts that Fatbeats used to carry. embarrassing.

Yeah, those were by Red5ive out of San Francisco, which closed and the owner went on to work with 10 deep

Quote: p.s. Fresh Outta Rehab is actually sorta funny.

I thought this was one of the worst yet, it reminded me of those "rehab is for quitters" shirts goth kids used to wear.