Attn: Ring Ring

Dolo

Well the guys knowledge is unreal, hes yet to say whether or not hes in the industry, but even if he is, thats some insane knowledge. I mean yes Ring Ring, you have answered all my questions on general material and manufacturing, but you can throw any name of any brand new or old, and you will never be dissapointed, Ring Ring is the answer. A Denimologist . You ever notice how he chooses to keep certain questions unaswered, as in how many pairs do you own ? Hats off to you Ring Ring, the Denim Legend.

www.brani.com / www.carpeinternational.com

Quote:

Hi Ring Ring ,

I have read a few of your post's , and you have a wealth of knowledge on denim . I have a question for you . Can you recomend any high end denim mills in Italy ? Thank you in advance for any help on this subject .

--- Original message by unified on Dec 31, 2004 01:33 PM

Hello Unified

Sure. Try Legler, Montebello, Ital, TRC and Berto. Also look for CDI.

The links below should be OK if my memory serves.

http://legler.it

http://mbello.it

http://berto.it

<u>www.italdenim.com </u>

http://www.trccandiani.com

Happy New Year.

Edited by ringring on Jan 13, 2005 at 02:33 PM

Quote:

Ring Ring, just another general question, have you ever considered to manufacture your own denim ? If so what is your ideal style in denim ?

--- Original message by I J F on Dec 31, 2004 02:14 PM

Hello IJF

If you mean denim fabric, then no. If you mean denim garments, then I guess everyone on this board is interested in design and has probably harboured thoughts about doing their own thing with jeans, tees or sneakers. I'm no different.

Ideal style in denim? - fabric-wise, I like them double-ring, nice and compact, not spongey, a nice dry hand feel and not too heavy. But there's no ideal. Ring hand, left hand, broken, whatever. There's loads of great denims out there.

Jeans-wise - I like a really broad range, so I don't really have one ideal. Kinda like food really, sometimes I want a burger and sometimes I crave sushi, one day spaghetti another day curry... I pretty happy in a basic 5 pocket pant in a selvedge denim worn from raw or rinse wash - I'm not sure that's ideal, just a good-by-default, like a roast chicken dinner LOL.

I get the feeling these are questions you are asking to yourself - so what's your ideal?

Happy New Year!

Edited by ringring on Jan 1, 2005 at 03:52 AM

Well Unfortunately Ring Ring, I can be as technical as you when describing me ideal denim as I simply dont have the knowledge to illustrate my descripture. However there are various pairs that for me really portray what appearance and wash I really appreciate in a denim. The paper denim filters seems to really do it for me as well as paper denim vision. Yes PDC have really established themselves for quite some time now and we can say they are really mainstream denim but truly do have the upper edge for me, particularly in these two styles.

Now there is a new company called Iqualiti located out of NY and their denim is released this month at about 30 boutiques across the states. Their site is www.iqualiti.com , now for me the way they have done the stiching on their pockets is my ideal style as for pockets and some of their washes are decent too. Lastly the Nudie Regular Ralfs are something if I had some disposible income I would purchase right away, they just say quality and style all over them, but they would be a definite purchase. Im not so into the urban lines but I will say that some of my ideal denim will be One True Saxon`s washes, really appealing although look slightly baggy.

Happy New Year to you too!!

Thanks for the link. New jeans lines are popping up everywhere.

PDC are great jeans. The new spring/summer 05 looks good.

Get the dry selvage Regular Ralf Nudies if you can. Better than the washed versions IMO (and cheaper!).

When will we be seeing your new denim collection then? icon_smile_wink.gif

ringring,

how much are a pair of regular ralf nudies in the uk? i've not really seen them but want to know roughly how much they should be...thanks.

the mind's eye glitters with thoughts and ideas for the masses/

i take classes/ to appease the classless/ perhaps its/

counter-revolutionary or counter intelligence/

to understand the situation or take command of the circumstance/

never mind what i say what's done is done/

and when i look down and grin and say it's been fun/

understand that #1 means no #2's i'm the best/

and i will choose to act out in front if you all to put you to the test/

yes, i've just checked on the site...that link you sent has done damage to my psyche...i am not keen on 'not' washing my clothes, especially stinky denim- but the effect that it has had on those pics are pretty amazing...will have to get another pair of selvedge and do the experiment...thanks.

did you ever think to start your own as ringring denim website- does ringring refer to ringspun??? icon_smile_wink.gif

Ring Ring,

Thanks for the advice I will be sure to have a look at those Nudies and excited to see PDC 05 line if you say it looks decent, I certainly take your word. Well as for myself Im currently pursuing a career outside of fashion although I have always wanted a line of my own, and I have basically started looking into the denim aspect of things and am very close to working with someone and trying to get started on some possible projects. It would be a great experience as I have a lot in mind and a lot of concepts I would like to experiment with. You are totally correct there are about 50 denim lines being launched this year and it wont be easy for anyone trying to really break in. I currently do some distribution on the side, on a small scale and I have seen on a mainstream scale the amount of denim organizations looking to break into the market this year and it will be interesting to see who lasts and who doesnt. I mean some of these guys just come out on the market make a quick buck and thats it. In Toronto True Religion jeans had a huge success from May and on but wether or not they will maintain a stagnant market and longevity who knows. Speak to you soon!!

Quote:

yes, i've just checked on the site...that link you sent has done damage to my psyche...i am not keen on 'not' washing my clothes, especially stinky denim- but the effect that it has had on those pics are pretty amazing...will have to get another pair of selvedge and do the experiment...thanks.

did you ever think to start your own as ringring denim website- does ringring refer to ringspun??? icon_smile_wink.gif

--- Original message by kremedla on Jan 2, 2005 02:38 PM

Kremedia - I presume you mean the Nudie link - yes, it's a cool bit of marketing by Nudie.

I know how you feel, I'm not keen on not washing my clothes for long periods of time either. I guess it's the amount of the abrasion that the jeans are subjected to, rather than the actual length of time worn that counts. ie.worn for a week horseriding would be more intensive than worn for 3 months sitting at a desk.

However, there's no denying that the results are pretty cool. I do wonder about the intensity of the crotch whiskers on those Nudie examples - they all seem very similar (presumably they are examples worn by different people), and I wonder how they were worn to make such strong effects on the crotch area - as abrasion is the main factor in creating contrasts in tone.

I've no thoughts about starting a denim website. There's probably quite a few out there already.

[url=" http://www.handsblue.com"] <a href="http://www.handsblue.com" target="_blank">http://www.handsblue.com</a> - here's one coming...

RingRing is a common term for denim that uses ringspun yarn both for warp and weft icon_smile.gif

Edited by ringring on Jan 3, 2005 at 03:19 AM

Quote:

Ring Ring,

Thanks for the advice I will be sure to have a look at those Nudies and excited to see PDC 05 line if you say it looks decent, I certainly take your word. Well as for myself Im currently pursuing a career outside of fashion although I have always wanted a line of my own, and I have basically started looking into the denim aspect of things and am very close to working with someone and trying to get started on some possible projects. It would be a great experience as I have a lot in mind and a lot of concepts I would like to experiment with. You are totally correct there are about 50 denim lines being launched this year and it wont be easy for anyone trying to really break in. I currently do some distribution on the side, on a small scale and I have seen on a mainstream scale the amount of denim organizations looking to break into the market this year and it will be interesting to see who lasts and who doesnt. I mean some of these guys just come out on the market make a quick buck and thats it. In Toronto True Religion jeans had a huge success from May and on but wether or not they will maintain a stagnant market and longevity who knows. Speak to you soon!!

--- Original message by I J F on Jan 2, 2005 10:06 PM

IJF

Good luck with getting into the denim business. It's a fascinating subject. You clearly have a passion for it.

hey ringring,

chatting to you on this forum about denim is so surreal. the stuff you pass on to me i pas on to friends and they think i am a nutter- but then i completely credit you so it is ok.

i looked at the nudies today and they are nice but not on sale- 115uk. so instead i picked up a pair of apc's with the same intention of the experimentation as the nudies. the apc's were an absolute steal, only 65uk and with alittle help from my lady all is good....

Hello Kremedia

Yeah, it's good to talk to other denim fans. Wait till you have to explain to your mates why you've not washed your jeans for 3 months...'nutter' won't do it justice LOL icon_smile.gif

£65 for the APC's seems like a good deal. Which ones did you get? The regular ones or the 'English' cut?

Good luck with the experiment. Keep me posted.

RingRing thanks for the infor on Casucci I think I once looked into it and never really looked too hard, pherhaps I will do a bit more research and see where it takes me. I am not too sure although I beleive their price range is a little lower than usual, but once again I dont know much about them. I thank you again for providing the info, any brand I can represent I will, depending if the conditions are all feasible and within reach. I get the sense that ur originally from England? Also take note on what the RingRing thread has caused, quite a few responses if you ask me! Keep up the good work mate!!

hey ringring,

you know i am not sure if they are english cut or regular ones however i can say that the size really seems to differ from others since my reg size seems to be about a size up on these, not sure if it is because it is compensating on shrinkage after wash or not?

its funny, with other brands ie rogan, pdc, tsubi, prps- it is the details that are attractive yet with apc ther are no real distinguishing details which is attractive for that reason...at least to me.

yes, will let you know about the experiment...does febreeze count?

Kremedia

APC: It should say on the inside waistband label which type they are. The baggier 'english cut' versions are marked "Anglais".

Yeah, they are loose and long to compensate for shrinkage.

I agree, the lack of detail on the APC's is their attraction. Sort of like Muji.

Febreeze? LOL, you can even dry-clean 'em if you wish. You should do a jeans blog, with week-by-week photos. icon_smile_wink.gif

then they are the english cut ones mos definitely! i should have knew that from 'anglais', but what a reasonable price when others come in at sooo much more. with the missus discount i got a real deal.

yeah, a friend of mine told me he dry cleans his evisus because he likes them stiff, but i am not posh like that i'd rather they get worked in properly then rinse them. i don't mind febreeze and some outside hang drying- i shan't be trekking about indonesia anytime soon so i really don't think they will be that dirty, only thing i hate is when going to a chinese restaurant and coming back smelling like i was the one who cooked! icon_smile_angry.gif

LOL.

You can also clean them by cold soaking in ever-so-slightly-soapy water (and rinsing). Lay them flat in the bath and do it. Don't scrub 'em, don't even move them around much, just change the water a few times. I even know a hardcore wear-rawjeans-a-whole-year denimnut who thinks it's okay to do that. Thank goodness or he'd smell like a tramp

icon_smile_big.gif

Ring,

I am wearing in a pair of A.P.C.'s (unisex) and unfortunately some toothpaste fell on them while I was brushing my teeth, and I had to wash them to get it out. Now they are soft (which I like), and slightly "hairy," and I had only worn them two or three weeks before I just washed them, so there is minimal fading on them. I would love to have my jeans come out like those beautiful Nudies. Have I failed the experiment, or can I give it another go, wear them in for a couple months and the wear will show? Your advice (or anyone else's) is appreciated.

Sure you can give them another go. The contrasting in the wear marks may be ever so slightly softer than if you'd not washed them, but I doubt anyone would notice.

Another option to consider, if you would like more dramatic contrasts (and a faster result), would be to increase the natural abrasion process by lightly rubbing with sandpaper. Just go very easy and be careful where you apply the abrasion. This will mimic the Nudie effect. I posted the process on some other thread somewhere...

Either way it doesn't matter. Washed loads or hardly ever washed is both good,... if you already have an interest in the way your denim washes, you'll probably try other pairs....it can be addictive.

I've been wearing my APC's (regular cut) a few times a week since I bought them in Septemeber, and I haven't washed them yet. They are definitely starting to show wear spots at the ankles where they rub against each other and a little bit in the crotch. I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out when I finally do wash them. Not for a little while longer though icon_smile.gif

I had APC jeans before I discovered this website while searching for information on selvedge denim. Everyone else here seems to like them, which is understandable, as the cuts are great, and they are in the perfect price range, at just over $100. Also, not every frat boy jack ass is wearing them like they're wearing Sevens and A&F.

On you previously posting the process (alliteration, anyone?) about rubbing sandpaper - that was actually directed towards me in response to a comment I made about wishing to speed up the denim wear. I'm going to let them do their own thing sans sand paper. I should be able to wear them in somewhat quickly because I play racquetball every day, and I can just wear my jeans to the games. The knees are worn slightly, as well as slashes on the thighs, and ever so slight whiskering around the crotch and pockets. I'm looking forward to seeing them in a couple months. I'm going to take your project to heart and start taking pictures of my jeans once a week or so.

Whiskey - Oh yeah, I remember posting the sanding process now, I think it was a short description. I posted a longer-winded version here: [url=" http://www.superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1011&start=31"] <a href="http://www.superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1011&start=31" target="_blank">http://www.superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1011&start=31</a>

I'm already curious to see how your jeans turn out.