abercrombie

poly800rock

ow yeah, also bring chip and pepper, paper denim, dsquared etc etc they love it.

what would a person do if he/she wouldnt want to be mainstream in a country/culture/society everyone thinks the same! o_o.

Wanted: Sucarcanes SC40500N, Imperial kings. 31x34

Guest Fade to Black

It's interesting to see how two totally different cultural contexts can greatly affect people's perceptions of what is basically the same garment...in the U.S. AF is associated with the jock/frat/sorority type and thus is looked down on as cheap clothes for cheap people, whereas over in Asia I see celebs rockin their shit all the time. My dad who was not aware of the cultural connotations AF has in the US, upon seeing their stuff for the first time, commented how well made and interesting the clothes were...and he's not some 50+ year old dude tryin to be down with the kids or anything, dude was in the textiles/garment business for 2 decades so he knows what he's talkin about when assessing the quality of clothing (he put me on to Yohji, Lang and Sander). I had to explain to him why the clothes were looked down upon over here, maybe not so much for the actual quality (the stuff IS decent quality, esp. compared to H&M/Zara/Express, although they're two totally different types of clothing for different markets), but rather for the stereotypes associated with them.

Their un branded stuff is not bad, they have that whole Ralph Lauren vintage think going... the branded slogan t-shirts are horrible and its that and the sterotypes which give them such a bad rep. I've heard the jeans are good. I would wear some of their basic if they didn't have the moose. Just a brand I don't feel represnts me nor do I wan't to be associated with it.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

my quip is the same as Kyle's; it is not that I am self-conscious, but I would never blatantly display an A&F logo because I don't want to be associated with the people that typically wear it...their shorts/pants, however are very nice; alot of people don't know that the brands' roots are very old and that David Abecrombie designed for the U.S. military as well as wealthy outdoorsmen the world round, including presidents........needless to say, they do have some very quality shit...

About Japan and a&f; I don't think it is as popular now as it was, say two years ago, but the brand definitely does not have the frat-boy/wannabe surfer image in Japan as it does here..

Edited by englandmj7 on Apr 4, 2006 at 11:41 AM

A few semesters ago one of my friends was loading up at the mall for when she went back to Japan. She said her sis loves the stuff and that it's quite popular, but a bit hard to come by too. Maybe it's changed a bit since then though, I dunno.

Abercrombie isn't as popular here (Japan), as it used to be, say two/three years ago; ergo it doesn't command the premium that it used to. Lots of off-hand distributers sell the clothing and Japanese can easily purchase the clothing now. Based on my experience with sell shops here, I'm certain you'd lose money trying to buy from America and sell here, since many are on consignment and you'd probably be gone before the good gets sold. Also, you need a valid address and residence card to sell at the legit shops. However, if you got friends who wish to buy, by all means. I should note that the new Ralph Lauren flagsip store just opened in Omotesando and its friggen huge. Just next to the one of the main entrances to Harajuku.

Quote:

Abercrombie isn't as popular here (Japan), as it used to be, say two/three years ago; ergo it doesn't command the premium that it used to. Lots of off-hand distributers sell the clothing and Japanese can easily purchase the clothing now. Based on my experience with sell shops here, I'm certain you'd lose money trying to buy from America and sell here, since many are on consignment and you'd probably be gone before the good gets sold. Also, you need a valid address and residence card to sell at the legit shops. However, if you got friends who wish to buy, by all means. I should note that the new Ralph Lauren flagsip store just opened in Omotesando and its friggen huge. Just next to the one of the main entrances to Harajuku.

--- Original message by djrajio on Apr 4, 2006 04:53 PM

thanks for the info...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

From what I've seen in my experience working at Hollister Co. (A&F Subsidary designed for the somewhat younger crowd), the demand from asian exchange students and asain youth in general is fairly high.

I'd say that at least 35% of our sales are to asian shoppers.

To whoever said it, the clothing produced by A&F and Hollister (Literally the SAME clothing with a few design differences and a small price difference) is of fairly high quality. But I can't stand wearing the stuff, other than maybe a polo or the shorts here and there, outside of work.

The stereotype here in the US is just too strong. But what I find interesting is that the asian crowd here in the US as well as in Asia has managed to disregard these negative connotations and wear the clothing for its aesthetic value. I would love for those in US to do the same.

Good luck with your reselling.