Denim Material

I J F

Just curious what material Nudie consists of as in type of denim? I am also curious as to what type of denim would compare to Saddlelites and if there is anything similair to them on the market. I know they were about 11 oz and are 100 % Cotton, sounds similair to Seven For All Mankind. If there is less lycra, is the denim usually higher quality? Lastly what type of material drives the denim price range ? Thanks, Im pretty sure RingRing will come through on this one!

www.brani.com / www.carpeinternational.com

posted by: I J F message: Just curious what material Nudie consists of as in type of denim?

Hello IJF. Nudie uses several qualities of denim (selvage, 'non selvage', blue, black..). All good. The current selvage denim used on the Regular Ralphs is excellent.

I am also curious as to what type of denim would compare to Saddlelites and if there is anything similair to them on the market.

I've not seen Saddlelites yet, but it's hard to imagine Saddelites using anything too much different to other high-end denims available on the market.

I know they were about 11 oz and are 100 % Cotton, sounds similair to Seven For All Mankind. If there is less lycra, is the denim usually higher quality?

Seven For All Mankind also use several denim articles, so it depends which article you are comparing from each brand.

Lycra - Having less lycra does not mean an increase in quality per se - obviously the higher percentage you have, the more stretchy your denim becomes. The downsides is that the more you have, there's a greater chance of the fabric looking less like denim. Now in the last ten years stretch denims have improved immensely - 10 years ago, you could tell if a denim had lycra/spandex, just by looking at it. These days, you have actually tug many of them to check.

The other downside of lycra/spandex is that, compared to cotton, it is far less resistant to the abusive chemicals, heat and abrasion that takes place in an industrial laundry, so the yarn can break down, leaving the fabric 'floppy' ( the lycra/spandex is destroyed and loses it's elastic ability - it's the denim equivalent of having flabby muscles).

For example, when cooking jeans to fix the 3D Resin crease effect, this can often lead to the destruction of the stretch yarn. As can a hot wash or iron in domestic use.

However there's no doubt that stretch denim improves fit and comfort, especially on womens' jeans. I'd look for 2-3% lycra/spandex. No more.

Lastly what type of material drives the denim price range ?

If it's the actual denim cloth then it's the dyes, weaving technology and country of origin (of both fabric and the cotton bales) that drives the price.

If by denim, you mean a finished pair of jeans then it's the fabric, wash (wash can vary drastically from simple rinse wash to handbrushed, hand patched etc), extra details (accessories, embroideries etc), transport, quotas & import taxes (if any)...sewing is usually the easiest and less pricey part of the cost equation. Obviously, the country of production effects the overall price considerably.

Happy Holidays.

Edited by ringring on Dec 26, 2004 at 02:29 AM