#1 EmmJay

EmmJay

bored

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • joined 14 september 04

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:19 AM

Hey People,
I'm going to Tokyo on Jan 10th, staying for 10 days.
Leaving from London. I guess i need all the tips i can get...my school will pay my planeticket, but the rest is up to me.
Anyone got a tip on some nice&cheap places to stay..cheap hotel etc??...want to spend a lot of time in Harajuku, doing research for a sneaker project....so somewhere not to far away...if possible..If anyone wants to invite me to crash in their home..hey..no problem....I'm sure i can return the favor here in London.
Anyway
BTW..unfortunately I'm no 6 foot blond babe...but a m29 year old male..loves hiphop and streetwear

Mads
Edited by EmmJay on Nov 24, 2004 at 10:14 AM

#2 mickey holmes

mickey holmes

semibored

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • joined 25 november 04
  • talents:Photography, liquor, music, girls

Posted 25 November 2004 - 06:33 PM

Hey Emm,

I'm going back to Tokyo next feb.
This'll be my 3rd. time there.

This your first time?
If so, it's worth taking the limousine bus from Narita airport.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/e/

It costs 3000 yen and it drops off to some of the major hotels in Tokyo....believe me, you don't wanna be dragging your luggage through the streets of Tokyo or passing through Shibuya station after a 14 hour flight.

So, you can find a hotel here: http://tokyo.hotelguide.net/

Once you found one, check that the bus drops off at the hotel.

The first 2 times I went to Tokyo I stayed at Hotel Sunroute and then Hotel Washington.
They were in Shinjuku.
The bus stopped at them both. Great hotels, but you really should book as early as possible!

Price will range from about £40 + a night.

For other accomodation, it's worth checking these sites:

http://classifieds.japantoday.com
www.gaijinpot.com

A mate of mine stayed in a 1 room apartment for a month. It was about...£450.

Hope that's a start for ya

#3 EmmJay

EmmJay

bored

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • joined 14 september 04

Posted 25 November 2004 - 06:58 PM

Wow..that's definitely a start or me....and yea..it's my first time...
Had really planned a trip to NYC, but i guess it's kind of hard not to be drawn to Tokyo.
A friend of mine is there now...actually hooking up with the Stussy- people, since he's distributing Stussy and Carhartt in Norway, and he said they are real friendly and always keen on showing you around to see fresh shops and sites..

Thank for the tips..

M

#4 por vida

por vida

semibored

• Pip
  • 66 posts
  • joined 04 may 04

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:59 PM

From my experience the best place to stay is the "Tokyu Stay Hotel" in Shibuya.
They have small kitchens and a washer and dryer in each room and it is as cheap as you are going to find. And its in the best part of Tokyo, walking distance to all the good neighborhoods to shop in, etc. Plus there is a pretty fresh grocery store right next store. You can take the limosine bus from Narita Airport to the Cerelean Tower stop in Shibuya and this hotel is right up the street. Its liek a 5 minute walk or you can take a cab from the Cerelean Tower for liek 600 Yen.

#5 laserbeam

laserbeam

bored

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • joined 02 december 04

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:27 AM

Try Roppongi-at 1am -friday night-its like being on the film set of "Blade Runner"

#6 laserbeam

laserbeam

bored

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • joined 02 december 04

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:46 AM

Try catching the train from Narita-located in basement of airport-its 55mins to Tokyo-bus with all the traffic morning/evening can be 2-3hrs to hotels-there is a cheap/good hotel in Tokyo Station-its central you can go any where quickly from there,trains leave every 5mins to everwhere.
Do not catch a taxi-especially from Narita-approx $250 to Tokyo-and can be 100mins-160mins depending on traffic.
To eat ask the local workers/shop assistants where they eat-convenience stores are rip off-take care-forget taxi's around Tokyo-learn the subway its mostly english these days-they have colour coding-its so easy-and very cheap-buy a weekly pass even cheaper-less stuffing around getting tickets for evey trip.

#7 gusto

gusto

semibored

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • joined 16 december 04

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:30 AM

what kinda sneaker research are you doing???

I haved been here for 2 months now and I haved seen some of the most unbelievable sneaker shops. You have to check out k-skit in kichijoji.

Holla when your in town if you wanna go sneaker hunting

#8 superposition

superposition

superbored

• Pip
  • 282 posts
  • joined 05 december 04

Posted 18 December 2004 - 10:11 PM

gusto : is that the sneaker store selling alot of vintage kicks with ridiculous prices?? Man I so wanna go there next time.

#9 gusto

gusto

semibored

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • joined 16 december 04

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:04 AM

I have seen a few shops, the one that amazed me the most was K-SKIT in Kichijoji.
Some vintage shit is pretty cheap, I copeed some ds huarache le's from 2000 for about \3500, its the sb's and cross overs that you pay the crazy prices for

#10 mickey holmes

mickey holmes

semibored

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • joined 25 november 04

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:36 AM

You should go to PX in Ogikubo. Ogikubo is two stops from Kichijoji on the chuo/sobu line.

PX sells new and used gear and has a great selection.
There are 2 shops in Ogikubo: one sells clothing,bags and accessories, the other sells trainers/footwear and bags.

#11 gusto

gusto

semibored

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • joined 16 december 04

Posted 19 December 2004 - 12:50 PM

sounds good, I'll check it out for sure.

sounds similar to LA AVENUE

dont have an address by any chance??

#12 mickey holmes

mickey holmes

semibored

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • joined 25 november 04

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:08 PM

Don't have the address, but directions:

South exit of Ogikubo station, turn right, go past Lumine building, turn right and go over the bridge, go down the steps on the left at the end of the bridge and keep going, PX is about a 3 minute walk, you can't miss it.That's for the clothing.

For the trainers:across the bridge is Mizuho bank on the right, PX sneaker store is tucked into one of the side streets near the bank.

Hope that helps.

#13 gusto

gusto

semibored

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • joined 16 december 04

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for your help, peeped px the other day and copped some stussy huaraches.

Lucky the only except cash or else my credit card would have copped a beating.

Didn't have much of a chance to peep the clothing store because I was wih my gf and she just didn't have the patience after wating in the sneaker store for 40min. You need a whold day to go through all the gear in their clothing store. Some of the prices on the supreme gear is hectic, over 30,000yen for a box sweat, wtf!!

Will go there another day solo or with a homie,.

Thanks again

#14 mickey holmes

mickey holmes

semibored

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • joined 25 november 04

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:00 PM

Thought you'd like it!

You're spot-on. You need a good few hours to sort through the clothing. Some of the deadstock shit they've got there is crazy money!!

I've found a few great places in Harajuku. Buy 'Smart' magazine, they've got all the ads in there for the shops.

And in Ebisu, on the same street as the EVISU store, there are some ok used stores. Worth a look.