Tokyo January?

EmmJay

Hey People,

I'm going to Tokyo on Jan 10th, staying for 10 days.

Leaving from London. I guess i need all the tips i can get...my school will pay my planeticket, but the rest is up to me.

Anyone got a tip on some nice&cheap places to stay..cheap hotel etc??...want to spend a lot of time in Harajuku, doing research for a sneaker project....so somewhere not to far away...if possible..If anyone wants to invite me to crash in their home..hey..no problem....I'm sure i can return the favor here in London.

Anyway

BTW..unfortunately I'm no 6 foot blond babe...but a m29 year old male..loves hiphop and streetwear

Mads

Edited by EmmJay on Nov 24, 2004 at 10:14 AM

Hey Emm,

I'm going back to Tokyo next feb.

This'll be my 3rd. time there.

This your first time?

If so, it's worth taking the limousine bus from Narita airport.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/e/

It costs 3000 yen and it drops off to some of the major hotels in Tokyo....believe me, you don't wanna be dragging your luggage through the streets of Tokyo or passing through Shibuya station after a 14 hour flight.

So, you can find a hotel here: http://tokyo.hotelguide.net/

Once you found one, check that the bus drops off at the hotel.

The first 2 times I went to Tokyo I stayed at Hotel Sunroute and then Hotel Washington.

They were in Shinjuku.

The bus stopped at them both. Great hotels, but you really should book as early as possible!

Price will range from about £40 + a night.

For other accomodation, it's worth checking these sites:

http://classifieds.japantoday.com

www.gaijinpot.com

A mate of mine stayed in a 1 room apartment for a month. It was about...£450.

Hope that's a start for ya

Wow..that's definitely a start or me....and yea..it's my first time...

Had really planned a trip to NYC, but i guess it's kind of hard not to be drawn to Tokyo.

A friend of mine is there now...actually hooking up with the Stussy- people, since he's distributing Stussy and Carhartt in Norway, and he said they are real friendly and always keen on showing you around to see fresh shops and sites..

Thank for the tips..

M

From my experience the best place to stay is the "Tokyu Stay Hotel" in Shibuya.

They have small kitchens and a washer and dryer in each room and it is as cheap as you are going to find. And its in the best part of Tokyo, walking distance to all the good neighborhoods to shop in, etc. Plus there is a pretty fresh grocery store right next store. You can take the limosine bus from Narita Airport to the Cerelean Tower stop in Shibuya and this hotel is right up the street. Its liek a 5 minute walk or you can take a cab from the Cerelean Tower for liek 600 Yen.

Try catching the train from Narita-located in basement of airport-its 55mins to Tokyo-bus with all the traffic morning/evening can be 2-3hrs to hotels-there is a cheap/good hotel in Tokyo Station-its central you can go any where quickly from there,trains leave every 5mins to everwhere.

Do not catch a taxi-especially from Narita-approx $250 to Tokyo-and can be 100mins-160mins depending on traffic.

To eat ask the local workers/shop assistants where they eat-convenience stores are rip off-take care-forget taxi's around Tokyo-learn the subway its mostly english these days-they have colour coding-its so easy-and very cheap-buy a weekly pass even cheaper-less stuffing around getting tickets for evey trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have the address, but directions:

South exit of Ogikubo station, turn right, go past Lumine building, turn right and go over the bridge, go down the steps on the left at the end of the bridge and keep going, PX is about a 3 minute walk, you can't miss it.That's for the clothing.

For the trainers:across the bridge is Mizuho bank on the right, PX sneaker store is tucked into one of the side streets near the bank.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your help, peeped px the other day and copped some stussy huaraches.

Lucky the only except cash or else my credit card would have copped a beating.

Didn't have much of a chance to peep the clothing store because I was wih my gf and she just didn't have the patience after wating in the sneaker store for 40min. You need a whold day to go through all the gear in their clothing store. Some of the prices on the supreme gear is hectic, over 30,000yen for a box sweat, wtf!!

Will go there another day solo or with a homie,.

Thanks again

Thought you'd like it!

You're spot-on. You need a good few hours to sort through the clothing. Some of the deadstock shit they've got there is crazy money!!

I've found a few great places in Harajuku. Buy 'Smart' magazine, they've got all the ads in there for the shops.

And in Ebisu, on the same street as the EVISU store, there are some ok used stores. Worth a look.