Might Be Moving to Portland.

Black Marmalade

So, it's quit simple really. I might be moving to Portland and I want to get a feel for the culture there from people who live there now or have. I am a 23 year old male that has lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Toronto, Ontario and must say that the laid back vibe of Milwaukee is very nice although the big city attractions and venues are amzing in Toronto. I have heard that Portland might be for me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

black-marmaladeâ„¢

-- is DeChazier P. Stokes-Johnson

-- [email protected]

-- Milwaukee, Wisconsin

hey marmalade....never been to toronto or milwaukee, but here's my p-town short description.....

great for live music - shitloads of veneues in all shapes and sizes....we get the whole gamut of hip-hop, punk, indie rock...

pretty small big city...mediocre transit system, but small enough to get by on a bike with...

some amazing food joints, and in my opinion, a lot cheaper than you see elsewhere...people in portland are known for searching out the best bargains, so most bars/restaurants have decent happy hours....

pretty design-saavy population....which means good selection of clothing boutiques and art walks on every thursday in four different districts...

gigantic park borders the city with hundreds of miles of trails to bike/run...also a quick car ride to some decent(and fucking cold) surfing on the coast and shredding at mt hood....

lots of theatres that show cheap 2nd run movies with beer...

uber liberal crowd....

pabst in every pub...

lots of sun in the summer, rain in the winter....it never gets real hot or real cold though....

hope that paints a little clearer picture...

thank you very much that paints a much clearer picture for me.

i can't wait to come out and visit so I can see first hand. I have

to say that the wheather sounds perfect. Thanks again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

black-marmaladeâ„¢

-- is DeChazier P. Stokes-Johnson

-- [email protected]

-- Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Hey man

I lived in portland for 6 months recently. I loved it out there.. great food, drinks, art, all for cheap (especially coming from nyc). However, the job market is awful...which is why the population of the city doesn't really increase too much. It is a beautiful place and I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to send me a message if you need specific info

Sizman paints it accurate.

I would add:

Good coffee (torrefazione for espresso, stumptown for atmosphere); in addition to the aforementioned great restaurant scene, a particularly good breakfast scene; Powell's Books (it's like a full city block); Ozone records (I think it’s still there); Music Millennium (two locations, one store has an exceptional classical section, while the other has an exceptional blues section; Rich’s Cigars (if you happen to smoke cigars, or imported cigarettes); Wieden and Kennedy is there and Adidas has their US HQ there.

I'm very fond of the place.

• 2 weeks later...

i love portland, i've lived here all my life

as people have said:

very liberal

lots of PBR

a ton of really great art is being made, as will as a ton of crap, but the good is really good

tons of great restaurants where you can eat under $5

you can get anywhere on bike

in N. Portland you can ride the street car for free ( actually theres a free route and a pay route, but neither is monitored)

Studio apartments in the "hip" areas are around $500

People are very friendly

friends of mine from Seattle and LA say they like Portland alot

alot of really great bands and music, cheap shows

www.taborrobak.com