Thrift stores in NYC and New Jersey

Hello,

I'm new.

I actually found this site while trying to search for thrift shops in Hoboken.

I live in New Jersey, but in a fairly isolated, rural area (maybe not traditionally rural, but for Jersey it is.) Specifically Hunterdon County.

I've been searching for what feels like forever, for unique, cheap thrift shops. They don't necessarily have to be just thrift shops, but that's what I'm mainly looking for. Awesome, low-priced shops that feature clothes you won't find anywhere else. The ideas I have in my head I doubt I will find (too bad I couldn't make my own clothes.) Now that you know what type of store (funky, unique, cheap) I'm looking for it in the areas of:

New Jersey in general excluding South Jersey; Hoboken

New York City

Brooklyn

Hopefully you guys can help me out! I have a few stores recommended to me, but the more the better! I'm trying to gather a bunch of stores in one area cause otherwise they're spread out pretty far.

Thanks =)

- -----

Hunterdon county, that's harsh. My boyfriend lives in Passaic County. and I thought that was in the middle of nowhere.

It might help, are you looking for men's or women's vintage. Cause there's a lot more options for the latter.

As for Hoboken,

I don't know that you'll have much luck. But, there's two stores I've been too, both on the main drag on Washington St. City Discount and Fowad. Fowad is the better of the two, but it's been a few months since I've been by either. City Discount was a few blocks from the PATH Station, like on 4th or 5th street I think? Fowad was a few more blocks up from that.

Brooklyn,

Beacon's Closet does have a good selection, but as mentioned not necessarily cheap. I'd look in the Salvation Army, on the nw corner of Bedford Ave + No 7th St, right when you come out of the subway station. But it's in Williamsburg and every time I go it's pretty much picked over by all the hipster trash already. But if you look hard enough you can find something. If you're going to Williamsburg and you're hungry, might I suggest Miyako. It's on Berry and No 6th.

Manhattan,

Most of the options here are downtown [south of 14th street]. You could try Cheap Jack's in the East Village. You are always guaranteed to find something there. The Salvation Army is also a good place here as well, but please remember to wash anything you buy very very well! And I would avoid buying used shoes of any kind.

A walk through the East Village St Mark's might find something you like. You could also try walking down the lower stretches of Ave A,B,First,Second, etc... around 8th street and lower, you might find something you like there as well.

Hope this helps.

- -----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

Beacon's is always worth a try.

There's often good stuff at the thrift store on 3rd Ave between 28th and 29th... not the one between 27th and 28th, which is ass.

The fancy thrift stores on the upper east side (sloan-kettering etc) are often un-picked-over by hipsters. Not cheap tho unless you catch a sale. The Housing Works stores are a good bet too.

Tons of vintage stores in the East Village, check 9th Street between 2nd and A, and of course St Marks.

Also try Salvation Army and Goodwill in upscale suburbs in New Jersey. Lots of aging ex-hippies cleaning out their closets and giving great stuff away.

around Philly: Village Thrift, mostly in bad neighborhoods. VF seems to buy the clothes in bulk: from rag dealers.? so the mix of stuff can be good... they are big always seem to be in an old supermarket. I prefer the Germantown location... I used to buy stuff here and resell it to a friend who had a boutique with a small sampling of vintage stuff... the place is dirt cheap, and you have to keep going there regularly... Also a location just over Benfranklinbridge.

Do you know where the Germantown location is?

Thanks everybody for the recommendations! Hopefully I'll be going soon.

ALSO,

has anyone heard of two stores called "Resurrection" and "Reminiscence" in NYC? The only reason I asked is because I called into a radio station and they mentioned those two places, although they did say they didn't know if they were still around.

- -----

Ressurection is in NoLita in Manhattan. On Mulberry Street above Spring I think?

It's one of the better collections of vintage. But it is not thrift by any means. In fact it's incredibly expensive. Check the SuperFuture review for more details.

Don't know anything about the Reminiscence place, but it's on West 23rd Street just past Fifth Ave.

Found this link, you might find it interesting. It is a pretty comprehensive list of Manhattan thrift/vintage places.

http://www.allny.com/thrift/man.htm

- -----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]