London, as well as London to Paris

Meaux

Taking a relatively last minute trip to London in about a week's time. Was wondering if any Londoners or other knowledgeable travelers here have any good tips in terms of things to do and places to see that I might not find in a typical tourist guide. I'm interested in the insider's guide to London! ;)

Also, I will be traveling to Paris from London for two days. I am planning to book a Eurostar train ticket, but was wondering if there are any less expensive alternatives? I'm sort of traveling on a budget and would like to cut costs wherever possible.

I'll be staying near the London Business School, which I gather is at or near Regent's Park in Northwest London?

Any kind advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

u n i v e r s a l m a t e r i a l i s t

Think you can try flying to Paris. I have not done this myself but if I remember correctly, no frills airlines like easyjet does flights to Paris for a really low price. If not, check other airlines at sites like lastminute.com where they offer some good deals.

Depending on what you want to do in London... if you're in for some good food, i can make some recommendations as long as you give me your budget

This is all random.......

Thanks for the reply... I've had a chance to chat with some people and for ease I think I will just go ahead and purchase a eurostar ticket since it will depart from central london and arrive in central paris. :)

As for food recommendations, I am always interested! I'd love to know what's good to eat in prices ranging from cheap to moderate. If there are expensive spots that *must* be experienced, I'd love to know about those too.

Cheers!

Let's see then... the current 'It' places I know of include Hakkasan and Yauatcha, which are chinese restaurants with the same owner. The latter one is a dim sum restaurant, which I think have the best dim sum in London (and a much cheaper option than Hakkasan, which is awfully expensive but the food is just really really good too).

For Italian food, I think Carluccio's is quite decent (and ok priced), and Paul which serves dessert and sandwiches and bread and is good for a quite bite, but then as it is a french thing you might want to skip that and save something like that for when you're in Paris.

If you're up for some Japanese/Korean Food, there are two moderately priced places which i think are rather nice: Sakura (make sure you try the sukiyaki, but it's v. busy and for dinner you have to make a reservation), Ran (Korean barbecue). If you fancy sushi, Dozoku off Carnaby street is so nice. I'd say the price is moderate but it also depends on how much stuff you order!

All the restaurants I've just mentioned are listed on www.london-eating.com, where you'll find maps and tel nos and addresses. Anything else you need to know just ask!

Oh, and let me recommend one more restaurant in Paris. l'avenue on 41 av. st. montaigne is the best I've tasted so far... although it once set me back for 50 euros for lunch. However I'd still say it's really worth it coz... by just mentioning the name i want to go again!

This is all random.......

Vintage:

RELLIK: http://www.relliklondon.co.uk/

ABSOLUTE VINTAGE: http://www.absolutevintage.co.uk

BEYOND RETRO: http://www.beyondretro.com/

And otherwise:

There are two trendy shopping areas: Carnaby St and Covent Garden. To get from one to the next, you can walk through Soho which also has a shops that are worth going to, like A Bathing Ape. My main advice would be to 'think outside the box' since some of the best stores are located on the roads adjacent to or parallel to Carnaby St. Be willing to get lost and explore. Selfridges on Oxford St is also a must both in a shopping and in a tourist sense.. I could give more specific advice if I knew what style of clothing/ what kind of brands you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Caramel - Thanks for those recommendations! I definitely plan to check out at least one of either Hakkasan or Yauatcha... more likely the latter. Even though I live in Vancouver, where there is plenty of dim sum and sushi to go around, I've heard a lot about the "nouveau" dim sum restaurants in London, and wouldn't mind checking one out.

I love Italian food as well, so I will look into Caluccio's if I am near the area.

As for Paris, L'Avenue sounds like something to consider. One $$$$ meal won't kill me. ;) If you have any further recommendations for either city, I'd love to hear them.

Appreciate the input so far!

Regards.