COOL BARS IN NYC

lady

There are a lot of cool bars in NYC... too many to mention, but here's one suggestion. I went to Dark Room a few weeks ago and had a really good time. It's on Ludlow between Houston and Stanton (check out the super map: http://superfuture.com/city/area/area.cfm?area=15&city=3) Anyway, there are several other bars right next door and across the street, so if you don't like this place, you won't have to travel to far to find something new. There are a ton of spots in the East Village/Lower East Side that are worthwhile.

have fun!

- ----

I agree, the LES is probably the best place to find a bar with a lively scene.

If your more into live music and bands, you might check out some of the bars on the Bowery.

If your into something more divey, I definitely suggest walking up Ave A,B or C in the East Village, or try Bleecker Street or West Fourth St in Greenwich Village by NYU [watch out for all the drunk college students though].

If there is one place you should avoid at all costs, is anywhere in the Meatpacking District, unless of course you like paying $10 for a glass of watered down wine.

Not quite sure what kind of bar exactly you are looking for, but I agree with smurf. You can generally just go with the bars that SuperFuture recommends. They've yet to let me down!

- ----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

The Village Voice website and Flavorpill are good places to start for listings. Many live music venues in Manhattan will also have upcoming gigs listed on their websites. Bowery Ballroom, Knitting Factory, Mercury Lounge are some of the larger / better known spaces. Arlene's Grocery is a good for checking out bands you've never heard of (and probably never will). Rothko is a difficult-to-find place to see bands you have heard of (but never thought you'd see in a venue that size) before getting shitfaced in the downstairs bar. Downstairs at Delancy bar is proving to be another good spot for live stuff with one of the better PAs in NYC (although the security there may take it on themselves to ruin everybody's night).

As for cool bars, it totally depends on what you consider cool. You're bound to find something you like (or at least, don't hate) on the LES. Check the Superfuture map for plenty of names and check out the Voice's NYC Guide for reviews.

http://www.villagevoice.com/

http://nyc.flavorpill.net/index.shtml

It really depends on what you're looking for....

tough doors but generally good looking crowd: Cain, Hiro, Bungalow 8, Kos

music: Cielo

good bars without drama: Nu Blu, Baraza, Luke/Leroy, Snitch, Automatic Slims,

wine: Veloce

that's about it off the top of my head....quality spots in BK as well...so many options...good luck! //dave

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock

• 5 weeks later...