Visiting AMSTERDAM contact me!!!

smartamsterdam

• 3 weeks later...

coming to amsterdam in feb, looking for cool shopping, restaurants, music, and hotel recommendations.

especially interested in clothing shops with independent designers.

also any good day trips that are worth giving up a day in amsterdam? considered belgium?

For small stores that sell second hand and unique stuff, walk around the "9 straatjes" (=nine streets) area.

Swing by Waterlooplein (daily market) where you will find Episode - a second hand clothing store that can be found in London and Tokyo as well. Around the corner you will find the St. Antoniebreestraat - some nice shops there. Swing around the corner again for the Nieuwe Hoogstraat. Make sure to stop by 2PR. Follow this street to get to Dam square.

From Dam square you can hit Kalverstraat for mainstream shops (Zara, Mango, DEPT, FCUK, Footlocker and the like). Near Kalverstraat is Leidsestraat which is worth a visit: Paul Warmer, Shoebaloo and Subzero for shoes.

The other side of Dam square (Nieuwendijk) is good for sneakers. Follow this street and you will reach Haarlemmerdijk and Haarlemmerstraat. Some nice shops selling unique clothing. Here you will find Barney's by the way - good coffeeshop but lots of tourists.

Upmarket stores (Vuitton, Gucci, Armani and such) are concentrated in the PC Hooftstraat (behind Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum).

If you want to go really underground second hand clothes (did I mention the word tacky?) there is a second-hand market in an old factory hall in the northern part of Amsterdam. I think it's a weekly event but I'd have to look it up. Fashionistas are spotted quite often. You can find the weirdest stuff there.

I will try to post some info on restaurants later. Please let me know what you're into..

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Edited by Tisswat on Jan 25, 2005 at 12:29 PM

By the way.. if you consider going to Belgium, Antwerp is a lovely place to visit and shop. Great restaurants and nightlife. I love it.

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Edited by Tisswat on Jan 27, 2005 at 07:01 AM