I'm getting married and need a suit...

I'm getting married in April and since it's a smaller wedding, I decided do a suit instead of a tux. I'm 5'7 and average weight and am looking for something slim, but wedding appropriate. In addition, I would want to wear the suit to interviews and other events after the wedding. I would also like to keep it under $800 is possible. Any suggestions?

I was thinking A.P.C. but im not really familiar with the quality of their suits. Hugo Boss also has sample sales every so often and good suits, but I don't think they have anything slim at these sales. I was also considering JCrew but would feel a bit weird wearing a suit from them to my wedding.

Thanks in advance.

Rent a tux. You'll thank yourself for it later. Tuxedo jackets tend to have peaked lapels or shawl collars in a satin material, which makes them look very formal and thus, groom appropriate. Rentals also come with hardware...so you won't have to purchase shirt studs and cuff-links that will probably only be used for the wedding. When it comes to a business suit for interviews and such, you're better off with a slim, conservative navy or dark grey suit with notch lapels. You really can't have it both ways.

I picked up a J. Crew suit jacket at a thrift store and it's pretty good quality, but I'm with you on wearing something from J. Crew on one of the most important days of your life.

You already shot down the tuxedo, but I feel I should mention that you don't wear a tuxedo to a wedding unless it's at night. It's called evening wear for a reason.

This is going to sound boring but...Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit should be perfect for what you described.

You could get the plain gray but I recommend the navy in medium stripes. For your height, get the suit in Short length.

Congratulations on the wedding.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=575&Product_Id=1451139&Parent_Id=418&default_color=NAVY&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

I'd go the MTM route for sure, even a suit with cheaper materials that is MTM will look 100 times better than an off the rack suit that is better materials but fits poorly. If you are going to buy OTR, take it to a tailor and get it adjusted for your body type.

You can also go to a tailor just to get measured, most of the time for free, but sometimes for a small fee. That way if you go the online ordering route you can guarantee your measurements won't be messed up.

Thanks for the kind words.

I stopped by APC earlier and they have a relatively nice suit there, but it felt a bit crappy for the asking price. I also stopped by Hugo Boss and found exactly what I was looking for but it was $1145. I definitely want to keep it black because stripes, as ready mentioned, might look too stuffy.

And trust me, while I would LOVE to have a MTM suit from TaT, the wedding is April 24th and I don't want to risk getting into a sizing situation.

I also might just suck it up and get a 3 piece suit from Jcrew. I thought about it and if my wife to be didn't spend a ton of money on her dress and it (apparently since I have yet to see it) looks great then there is no need for me to rely on brand. If the suit fits, wear it.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys.

Maybe go black but with an interesting fabric so it is not so stark...? Might be more versatile than a bright black wool suit. Dunno how the board feels about Ted Baker but I have a 3-roll-2 suit from that label, made of black worsted-wool corduroy. Not that huge ropy bullshit though. Pants are kind of crazy but I love the coat.

for the record, i had to buy a suit for a wedding this weekend so the first place i went was j. crew. i have very little experience with suiting so i depended heavily on the salesman's advice, and he sold me a suit that was just too small. took it to the tailor and she refused to even touch it. it's also overpriced (600 dollars for a made in china suit).

if you live in ny, id recommend VIP Men's Suits at 181 broadway (2nd floor). place looks super shady at the beginning but dont be put off - the salesman listened to what i wanted and we eventually found something perfect. got a made in italy suit for way less than the jcrew one. they also do free alterations. ask for Mike. good luck man.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree about renting a tux.

If you insist in bought a suit you can:

- go to a good tailor and have it custom made

- bought one from a discount store (you can find great deals in sites like yoox, and, obviously with enough time go to a tailor to adjust the fitting)

- buy a regular one of popular brands like ck or hugo boss but putting special attention in construction (ie shoulders not very bulky, straight legs, etc) and fabric.