Engaged/married? What did you do for rings?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with bargaining. You really have to haggle with them to get something affordable. And people will really try to screw you on bands. Platinum costs just over $1000 per ounce and a band weighs about 8 grams which is 0.28 oz. So basically that is $280 worth of metal. Casting and polishing is not going to cost over $700. so paying $1000 for a platinum band is rediculous. I am going with stainless steel myself.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

I proposed to my wife after starting my 3rd store. I had just lost $35k in the first year of business by moving to Boston to be with her. So I mustered up $300 (which I couldn't even afford) and took the Chinatown bus to Tiffany's to buy this sliver of a wedding band. Oh course, when I got to NYC they didn't have it in stock. So, I hopped back on the bus and went to my local Tiffany's and bought it there. NOT EXCITING. Then I propsed to her with it on the plane on the way home for a week long vacation. She loved the ring and showed it to all of her friends with pride, even when some of the bitches asked where the diamond was or if she was joking. Then on our last day at home I pulled her into her grandmother's back room where her grandmother gave me her ring in front of her and then I got to give it to my wife. Just seeing my wife be proud of that tiny ring for a week made me beyond happy. My band is froim a company called teno and cost $95. It's exactly what I want and I don't feel bad when I get paint on it or fall off a skateboard, etc.

minesilverprince_1885_15463990

hers11452531_xl.jpg

Plus, I personally wouldn't ever buy a diamond for personal beliefs.

pro.. i like those a lot. nice and simple - yours kinds of reminds me of kids wearing skate bearing races as rings back in the day, albeit of a precious metal.

http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20050401.html

love at first bite ... not for the squeamish

Edited by mlproject on Mar 16, 2006 at 11:46 PM

Edited by mlproject on Mar 17, 2006 at 12:42 AM

im not gonna read the entire thread, but i bought my wife a paisly engraved pink saphire engagement ring that had diamonds (small ones) certified that they didnt come from de beers. she gets more complements on that ring from rich older women (she does their nails so she sees alot of them) than ive seen anyone get on a ring...and really i think it just has to do with the fact that diamonds (especially big solitaires) are played out...

Quote:

im not gonna read the entire thread, but i bought my wife a paisly engraved pink saphire engagement ring that had diamonds (small ones) certified that they didnt come from de beers. she gets more complements on that ring from rich older women (she does their nails so she sees alot of them) than ive seen anyone get on a ring...and really i think it just has to do with the fact that diamonds (especially big solitaires) are played out...

--- Original message by UsVersusThem on Mar 20, 2006 09:40 AM

I don't think classic diamonds are played out. Diamond rings are as classic as you can get. To me that is like saying apple pie is played out... However, there is still a place for classics and innovative, newer, cool stuff (such as your wife's ring which sounds pretty awesome) to coexist.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Edited by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Mar 20, 2006 at 09:48 AM

My sweetie got me a Bright pink sapphire, since pink is my fav. color. It is all natural, 5.5 carat princess cut, lovely to say the least, with white and yellow sapphires on the band. But he asked me all sorts of wuestions before buying it to make sure I liked it. All I'd say is ask questions, an dlook in her wardrobe, is she classic (diamond), funky (maybe spessartite?), or girly (maybe pink?), or what ever, try to get something that remids you of her & her style, and you can't go wrong.

Congrats on the future engagement!!!!

Don't you hate in when you're in a line and there's that guy like right behind you and you can feel him almost touching you, hovering near you, in your personal space and all you want to do is turn around and scream, "move three feet back before I beat you," but you don't? They'd put you in a strait jacket if you did, and it is soooo hard to find a pair of shoes that match those.

I'm slowly sorting out ring options as well. If you're in or near a large city, auction houses are a great resource for antique rings. There's a massive learning curve as far as what's what, but there are really beautiful and interesting things to be found at every price point. Check Christies, Sotheby's, Doyle, and I'm sure there are other jewelry/estate houses in most cities. Good luck and congrats!

Quote:

I kept it mellow with a simple platinum joint. I also had it brushed so it looks matte. I'm not into rings so I wanted something understated.

As for Gabriella, shit got expensive.

Best money ever spent.

--- Original message by Persia on Mar 28, 2006 07:13 PM

yo man are you in that clip the Hundreds have on their site?... where the black dudes showing his room full of shoes, and his shotgun

Quote: My sweetie got me a Bright pink sapphire, since pink is my fav. color. It is all natural, 5.5 carat princess cut,

Ugh, a giant pink sapphire for a engagement ring? That's really cool if you like it though; I just know my wife would have kicked my ass......but, its different, so I guess that is good.

I bought my wife a simple 4-prong setting, white gold band, round brilliant cut 2 ct, VS1 clarity (I know, I know, I am a cheap-ass), F-color. The simple, classic engagement ring. I know my stones, but it is easy to get suckered if you don't, even at a reputable place. Do some research, and when you go in to buy, don't be afraid to look through the loupe yourself to look for inclusions. Alot of big chain jewelry locations will offer the same price for their "standard" wedding ring, and out of some of those rings there will be obvious inclusions visible under close detail, look carefully! and I cannot emphasize it more: make sure the jeweler is a well-established place, you may pay quite a bit more money, but in the end, it will be worth it. Let me know if you have any questions......

it's all about the cut.

isn't it strange that the most important of the "C"s doesn't have a standardized measurement? I guess its more judgemental, but I think it should be graded somehow.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Quote:
Quote: My sweetie got me a Bright pink sapphire, since pink is my fav. color. It is all natural, 5.5 carat princess cut,

Ugh, a giant pink sapphire for a engagement ring? That's really cool if you like it though; I just know my wife would have kicked my ass......but, its different, so I guess that is good.

I bought my wife a simple 4-prong setting, white gold band, round brilliant cut 2 ct, VS1 clarity (I know, I know, I am a cheap-ass), F-color. The simple, classic engagement ring. I know my stones, but it is easy to get suckered if you don't, even at a reputable place. Do some research, and when you go in to buy, don't be afraid to look through the loupe yourself to look for inclusions. Alot of big chain jewelry locations will offer the same price for their "standard" wedding ring, and out of some of those rings there will be obvious inclusions visible under close detail, look carefully! and I cannot emphasize it more: make sure the jeweler is a well-established place, you may pay quite a bit more money, but in the end, it will be worth it. Let me know if you have any questions......

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Mar 30, 2006 12:59 PM

Quote: 2 ct, VS1 clarity (I know, I know, I am a cheap-ass), F-color

A cheap ass? Dude, that is a $25000 diamond if is EGL certified, if not it would probably grade WAY lower. You don't put a $25000 diamond in white gold either, you put it in platinum. In fact, a 4 prong platinum setting would come free with even a $4000 diamond. A VS1 should have inclusions that are VERY hard to see under 10X magnification.

Quote: make sure the jeweler is a well-established place, you may pay quite a bit more money, but in the end, it will be worth it

That is bullshit, it is a fucking diamond, if the jeweler is in a not "well-established place" does that mean the diamond will not be good? Never trust a jeweler! It is the buyer's duty to know exactly what he is buying and it requires a lot of research. make sure the diamond is EGL or AIG certified, otherwise the grade doesn'tmean anything. Get yourself a B&L Hastings tripplet loupe and look at a whole bunch of diamonds and hear a lot of price quotes before you lay any money down. don't be afraid to offer half the asking price or leave without buying anything.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG