Breaking In Red Wings

superbeveridge

How do they fit compared to DesertBoots or Chucks?

They are very stiff to begin with. It's kind of hard to compare the two. I believe I sized down I full size but I cannot remember for sure what my Clarks were and the size has rubbed off. They really are a boot where you should go and try them on and try many different styles I think.

I've heard that if you put them on and then soak them in warm water and then wear them until they dry they will mould to your feat faster.

i think thats mostly for the people that can barely fit their feet into their boots at first and need to soften them up. you've just gotta wear yours in

It doesn't sound like they're sized right. Did you order them or did you go to a Red Wing store?

They are sized right. My feet have just been used to very light and soft desert boots the last couple of years. Far cry from my hockey days when my feet were just one big callus.

yeah man. took me only about two weeks of consistent wear and they were fine. sides of my ankles were definitely killing, all cut up. thick socks didn't help. the leather will loosen up. wear them around your house, run around, get some real movement in them. once they shape around your ankle they become the absolute most comfortable shoe ever. if they don't, you've got a problem. make sure you wear em laced tight and proper, no heel slippage.

wear some thick wool socks or several pairs of socks and run a marathon in them

Been trying to do this with my chukkas, but my woolies are too thick sometimes *pause*.

Had my chukkas for about 3 weeks now and they are starting to wear in nicely, as I wear em 4-5 times a week due to the cold ass Iowa weather. Wear em as much as possible while shifting your feet around IN them, that should do the trick.

Today was much nicer. I had been wearing them with a brand new pair of cotton socks that were a little thicker than what I normally wear. I put on a pair of old trusty socks and a thick big band aid for where my heels are cut up and today is fine.

How do people treat the leather. Should I be using mink oil or conditioner or nothing? I tend to like a more work in rough look in my shoes and boots... my navy Clarks look grey for dirt and dust at work.

I haven't conditioned mine at all yet, I got them in October. I think I'm going to wait until next season because I also like that beat up work boot look. Just make sure they don't get too much salt on them if you live in a snowy area because that'll eat away the leather. Using a brush and water should prevent this.

Most people on the forum would recommend sno-seal for it's natural properties that are non detrimental to the leather.

I have the exact pair and they were comfortable as fuck from day one....

Well, if wearing them doesn't work out... You can always urinate in them right?

Where did all this urinating thing come from? Is it like an old wives tale or something?

Most shoes hurt me when I first get them. I have weird shaped feet. They are really long and narrow so shoes that are good for length tend to be a little wide.