vintage pendleton thread

shut up alex

AHHGHGHGGGG! I should have bid higher... Tell me you got the lot of 22 that was up today?? (22 "vintage" pendletons.) Pictures were bad, but I saw three with the top button fits into a loop more than a traditional "button hole." Was "told" this showed some age. Confirm or deny anyone? Either way, i feel like i missed out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260506323340&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

PEACE

Hey I think you might be right man all the Pendletons I've been bidding on lately have gone up to like $40+. They never used to get over $20.

Yeah, I have been looking at them and they have definitely gone up in price. I hope once everybody gets a couple they will start going back down. It is getting cold and I wanted to add a couple more to my collection. Maybe now is the time to start selling.

AHHGHGHGGGG! I should have bid higher... Tell me you got the lot of 22 that was up today?? (22 "vintage" pendletons.) Pictures were bad, but I saw three with the top button fits into a loop more than a traditional "button hole." Was "told" this showed some age. Confirm or deny anyone? Either way, i feel like i missed out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260506323340&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

PEACE

Wow, look at that. you can get 22 authentic pendletons for the price of 1 flathead. Who would have thunk it.

PEACE

That would have been a major score.

Both old and new Pendeltons have the loop at top. It's a particular model... the "board shirt"

Honestly, It's my opinion that you get a really good shirt no matter what the age. the fabric they make is top notch and should last at least 50 years if taken care of.

I buy them old and new. I recently found the Pendelton outlet store!

That would have been a major score.

Both old and new Pendeltons have the loop at top. It's a particular model... the "board shirt"

Honestly, It's my opinion that you get a really good shirt no matter what the age. the fabric they make is top notch and should last at least 50 years if taken care of.

I buy them old and new. I recently found the Pendelton outlet store!

thanks for the info. You have any other info on how to date them?

fullsize.jpg

Just got this in the mail today...smaller than I expected and also smaller than I'm used to wearing. I'll probably give it a shot, but other than the size of it I'm really liking the feel of it. Really thick, seems like it'll be warm (which is why I got it).

Top button does fit through a loop rather than a hole, as mentioned above. I guess it's pretty old, then?

thanks for the info. You have any other info on how to date them?

I'm definitely no expert...

There are a couple things that indicate age that I know of. One is that I have a Pendelton coat that doesn't have the Woolmark symbol on the label. That would make it pre-1964. The mark shows up on the labels after that, but surprisingly the newer shirts that I have (2006ish to present) don't have the mark. This might have started when they started making the shirts in Mexico.

The other thing is that one of my shirts is clearly from the 70's because it has way pointier collars.

Other than that, I just can't tell! Which might actually be the coolest part about Pendelton. The fabric is so well made, color-fast, and classic that you can't really tell the difference between a shirt that's 4 years old and one that's 45 years old.

Pendelton for life!

I will post pics soon

Well you can definitely tell the difference between a pendleton that is 4 years old as opposed to 45 years old.

The fabric on the newer ones, Like right-off-the-shelf new, is nothing as nice as the old stuff. Like pre-90s shirts.

On another note, sizing for these shirts is all over the place. Some mediums fit like smalls, some fit fine, some larges fit like mediums. One really needs to go off of measurements.

I have Pendletons (all from the 50's) which are Smalls which fit like kid's shirts and i have Mediums which fit like a Large, it doesn't make any sense. I've always sort of chalked it up to shirts that had be altered slightly after being bought.

Well you can definitely tell the difference between a pendleton that is 4 years old as opposed to 45 years old.

The fabric on the newer ones, Like right-off-the-shelf new, is nothing as nice as the old stuff. Like pre-90s shirts.

On another note, sizing for these shirts is all over the place. Some mediums fit like smalls, some fit fine, some larges fit like mediums. One really needs to go off of measurements.

I agree. I think my point is that, for the most part, the fabric keeps nice for so long. The shirts don't really show their age other than subtle differences.

Wool itself holds color and shape for a very long time!

As for sizing... true! Pendeltons have been all over the place. Old ones might have been shrunk in the wash, altered, and have vintage cuts. Pendelton has been pretty ignorant about modern fit trends. They did just introduce a "slim" fit shirt in a couple styles.... I haven't tried it yet, but will I'm sure.

They did just introduce a "slim" fit shirt in a couple styles.... I haven't tried it yet, but will I'm sure.

Interesting... I've always thought that, given the Americana hype for the past year or two, Filson and Pendleton could make a killing if they introduced a line with slimmer fitting versions of their jackets (Filson) and shirts (Pendleton).

• 2 weeks later...

redshirt.JPG

A medium that fits like a medium.

redshirt2.JPG

No button on the pocket flap.

red3.JPG

Thrifted this a few years back for $4. Always a little "too scratchy." This year, instead of sending it to the dry cleaner, I hand washed it with some Dr. Bronners -- you know, the way grandma would have done. The hand wash really softened up the shirt.

polo1.JPG

Father-in-law's wool flannel. (Never knew the guy, he died when my wife was 14. However, he had a great collection of Americana and work wear clothing -- also guns, tools and HAM radio equipment.)

polo3.JPG

Yea, yea, neg rep me it isn't a Pendleton. Vintage Polo -- that's the horse.

(Sorry for the low light -- salaryman's 90-year-old house doesn't get much light this time of the year).

So I was thrifting yesterday and saw a $10 Pendleton, supposedly vintage, decided to buy it to see what all the fuss is about. I'll post some pics later, but I'd like to know if there is a way to determine the age of these shirts. (Sorry if this has been asked before, I skimmed the thread but didn't find)

Anyone?

Anyone notice that context is selling vintage pendletons for like $65. They look nice, but I think ebay is the better alternative.