leasing a car...

swyche

GET THE 3, AUDI'S HAVE A BUNCH OF STUPID PROBLEMS.. YOU WILL BE AT THE DEALERSHIP EVERY OTHER MONTH..EVEN THOUGH YOU WONT BE PAYING ITS JUST A PAIN IN THE ASS WHEN YOUR SUNROOF WONT CLOSE OR THAT DUMB LIGHT WONT GO AWAY. THE BMW SHOULDNT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS AND IF YOU'RE LEASING YOU'L PROLLY GET FREE SCHEDULED MAINTENENCE.

HOPE YOU GET IT LATER

Edited by Selegna on Feb 28, 2006 at 12:36 PM

I assume the A4 is the quattro model and not teh base 2WD model? If it is the 2WD model and you live anywhere with a decent winter, id take the 4WD over the 2WD anyday.

I have a 2004 A4 3.0 and a 2006 330Xi, and I would say the difference is negligible.

The BMW is brand new, so I cant tell you about long term, but a few stupid problems I ran into right off the bat:

1) The owner’s manual does not fit in the glove box, nor is there any other dedicated place for it aside from throwing it under the seat.

2) The garage door button doesn’t work with my garage door opener, I’ve had a few techs come by to try and diagnose it, but they end up saying its cause its an older model garage door. But it works with the A4, Audi TT, Jaguar X-Type and two aftermarket key chain garage door openers.

On the good side, it has an aux input in the armrest, so if you have an mp3 player you can run that thru your stereo and access the volume thru the steering wheels controls. But I think the 2006 Audis have the same.

The A4 is almost at 100,000kms, and have had no major problems. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that if the moon roof is opened 100% it causes a weird pressure in the car, which is very annoying, so you have to close it a small amount to remedy the problem.

All that said, they’re pretty evenly weighted and I’d go with whatever style you’re into (or best price).

they definatley dont both suck man, you just say that cause you probably cant afford to drive them... not that there is anything wrong with that, just dont say those cars suck because they obviously don't...

and i'm about to replace my 3 with another bmw so that must say something.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Edited by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Feb 28, 2006 at 03:20 PM

audis are dope. everything from the way the door clicks shut, to the stereo knob, to the snowboard rack all function with precision.

even if the audi/bmw is a lemon, if its a new car, it should be covered under warranty for the majority of your lease, if not for all of it. so its somewhat less important looking long term, since youll probably have a new car before it hits 100,000k.

I would like to state for the record that leasing is like the fountain of youth. As soon as the car starts to age you get a new one, no fuss no muss. Yeah to leasing! I would also like to state for the record that Lexus makes a fine car that never breaks down, and the new ones are looking pretty sexy. I can't get used to the new dolphin looking BMW's. I miss the old briefcase looking BMW's.

Everything these days is fairly reliable.

I assume that you are looking at an AWD Audi since you're also considering a 325xi. Hell, both are great cars. I'd go for the BMW personally. I just think it looks better and supposedly is a tad more refined than the Audi (no experience here, guys). BMW is standard middle management transportation. No problem there.

Both are way above my standards of course. Luxury cars are too good for me. I want something miserly and punishing. Some shitty, stripped down econo-box. I didn't used to be this way. I used to really be into cars. I guess I realized I had to pay for all that fun, so I sobered up and decided I want something cheap.

On another note, I was a little surprised at how nice the IS250 (or 350) turned out. Now, I'm not commenting on how it drives (nor will I channel the spirits of the automotive press to justify myself), but the IS250 is a huge step up for Lexus. The old IS always had a few lines that didn't quite fit the shape. The taillights looked tacky. Those two circular lights near the license plate were just retarded. The old IS could not compete with the other entry-level luxury cars on prestige or power. It seemed entry-entry-level luxury.

In summary, BMW.

Guys thanks for the quick responses.

Actually I heard the bmw eletrical components gets screwy really easily. Audi actually seemd alot more solid in terms of breakages.

For those of you who have owned these cars (3 series, audi a3/4)

what problems have you had?

I own a 2002 Audi a4 1.8 quattro. It is a nice car, but up until I got the car chipped there was a turbo lag. There has not been a major problem. I purchased the car, and wished I leased it because I would like to get a new car but cannot justify it with the Audi running great.

My mom has a 2004 330 and it kicks the shit out of the Audi.

My sister has a 2003 Honda Accord and it kicks the shit of the Beemer.

But, when it rains the Audi is solid. Oh, the interior of the Audi is way better then the e46, and e90 3 series. Audi has the interior market locked, hands down.

Problems I have had are all related to wheels. I run 19s, and make sure you get 235/35/19 tires, any less and expect cracks and bends. I ran 225/35/19 for a while and spent over 600 on fixing bends.

If you stick with stock rims you will be fine.

Oh, the moon room acts funny sometimes. It will close on its own. Other then the moon roof there are no complaints. I blew on Air Flow Meter once, but that might have had something to do with it being chipped and driving 130mph in the California heat. Either way the problem was fixed by Audi free of charge. Last thing, COIL PACKS. I have had one coil pack failure, but again this was serviced by Audi.

My mom has not had one problem with the BMW, aside from the oil light coming on for no reason.

And my sister never had the problem with the accord, plus it's not scheduled for maintenance until 100,000 miles. And thats just to oil the timing belt (which is metal by the way).

Quote:

Guys thanks for the quick responses.

Actually I heard the bmw eletrical components gets screwy really easily. Audi actually seemd alot more solid in terms of breakages.

For those of you who have owned these cars (3 series, audi a3/4)

what problems have you had?

--- Original message by swyche on Feb 28, 2006 08:19 PM

I don't think many cars have problems in the first couple years, and leasing for anything longer than 3 would be considered a pretty bad idea. I wouldn't worry about maintainance if I were you. Besides, isn't it free on BMWs?