How do you write a screenplay?

Bubblehead

To hell with Film School...

edit - can anyone leave some great ideas to go about writing a screenplay, mainly with the dialogue ie ideas for conversations, conversations to relate to the plot, character development etc

... in the same style to the independant film 'Slacker' by Richard Linklater

just dowload a copy of FINAL DRAFT and let it do the format work for you.

your job is to write, let the program worry about the specs... as well, go down load a few scripts to see how its done, even with the proper format you can waste your time writing things you dont need to, as they are not your job to invision or describe. Your job is to ONLY WRITE what is going to be seen on screen, any thing else is not needed in the script.

good luck.

Guest nondskrpt

Someone told me to read as many screenplays as you can get your hands on. That way you'll know what works and what doesn't. Seek out the films you like and figure out how they did it. A good film starts off as a good script.

Fuck Syd Fields and formulaic screenwriting instruction garbage. There is no recipe or check list to follow.

Start a thread on superfuture

ask advice

?????

Profit

But really a screenplay is about being able to tell a story with dialouge. If unsure speak aloud while you type. Sometimes what you think is a good idea, sounds fucking terrible spoken.

wasted does not help.

dialog, less is more. write what you want, then cut it and cut it some more... my rule is take out all but the content, which is more or less the middle to me. the beginning and end, fuck it, its all in the middle ;)

have people read your screenplays and if really in doubt hire actors to "play" out your parts that need work. keep descriptions short, but your words must have weight to them. revise, revise, revise. do not stop unless your work and words are 100% right, efficient and flow. then revise again. get your formatting 100% or you will not get your shit read. find someone in LA, use their phone number or address and send it out. if you're good enough or lucky enough you can get an agent by sending your screenplay out. with an agent you have a better chance of getting your shit bought.

commit, make sure the story and it's charachters have purpose and good luck you're entering into the territory of sharks so grow a tough skin.

Sometimes when I'm wasted, I think of writing a script and becoming the next Alex Garland. So yeah, maybe getting wasted helps.

And some times i get drunk and want to join a frat. It helps to be sober when making important decisions and directing aspirations.

Don't try to be clever - don't use too much slang -- don't put some stupid twelve year old girl in it with the voice of a sagely old woman -- don't try too hard to make it 'quirky'

There's the whole actual format thing - to start the screenplay there's the inciting incident - exactly what throws the entire story into action, and the whole 'what if'. You have to establish exactly why this story is important and why it needs to be told.

To hell with Film School...

edit - can anyone leave some great ideas to go about writing a screenplay, mainly with the dialogue ie ideas for conversations, conversations to relate to the plot, character development etc

... in the same style to the independant film 'Slacker' by Richard Linklater

in my experience if you are after realistic dialogue/interesting conversations for a script, the best way to go about this is through work shopping with actors.

if you get actors who are good at improvisation [character based rather than theatre games] and go from there.

if you already have a script/some dialogue then getting actors to bring it to life will let you know if the words flow well, the voices are distinct from one another [and do not all sound like the voice of the writer].

if you want to go further down the path of realistic dialogue coming from the interactions of actors then check out the work of director mike leigh in my second year at drama school we used some of his methods to workshop/dramturg a play that had a good story but really shitty character development/dialogue. check out meantime if you want to see some amazingly real characters and good acting.

if you don't have access to actors then a good place to start would be to ride public transport and listen to how people speak, jot down conversations, of course you only be getting a section of the population doing this, but it will help you find authentic voices for the characters.

• 4 months later...

Bringing this back (obviously because I have school work I should be doing): Is anyone here in school for screenwriting, or went to school for it? My plan is to go to the Vancouver film school screenwriting program in a couple years. It seems like a good program, even if it's a little expensive by Canadian standards.

Have you considered Ryerson? Not claiming any significant knowledge on the subject, but I have what's essentially a screenwriting course in my radio & television program (which Ryerson is the leader in the country for) as a mandatory first year course, that students have the option of continuing throughout the four year program. Seems to me that it'd be worthwhile to take a major that will give you industry contacts and experience as well (radio&tv, film, etc) and take as many screenwriting electives as you can so that you still learn the fundamentals, have an opportunity to have your work graded and reviewed, but have other experience in the field as well.

The structure of regular classes, supplemented with your own extensive personal work and readings on the subject combined with knowledge in other relevant fields should be more worthwhile than an entire dedicated screenwriting course.

haha but of course, take the opinion of a first year student for what it is.

edit: And to the OP, I seriously distrust those who say to ignore the formulaic approach to scriptwriting. Having your theme (or message, which is independent of your story and speaks directly to the human condition) and story elements thoroughly figured out is essential to maintaining your focus, and your work won't be given a second look in a mainstream professional environment unless it follows certain conventions. Not that you need to go to school for it, but good literature on the subject is really important to learn from.

I don't think you necessarily need to go to school for screenwriting to be a screenwriter. I'm in the U of T Cinema Studies program and picked up Robert McKee's "Story". That's working for me.

Edit: Working on a film right now with kids from the Ryerson film program. They're great and their networking opportunities completely beat out anything U of T can offer, but like I said, you can work with them without dropping $20k on the program (which, as I understand, is mostly practical film work with one or two scripting classes).

Bringing this back (obviously because I have school work I should be doing): Is anyone here in school for screenwriting, or went to school for it? My plan is to go to the Vancouver film school screenwriting program in a couple years. It seems like a good program, even if it's a little expensive by Canadian standards.

I'm in the film program at Capilano University in Vancouver, which is 99% technical. I really want to get into writing too, but it's so hard finding a course that has a decent balance of formula and creativity.

I'm in the same boat as you though - I'm thinking of going over to NYU this summer and taking a two week screenwriting workshop (if I can scrape the money together).