Running

b.e-n

that's gonna do absolutely nothing for your aim of losing weight. if you want to loose weight you need to start aiming for a certain time you spend running. so let's say after 15 minutes of jogging (not running!) you kinda get to the point where your body has burned all the calories in your body and will switch over to burning fat. so go at least running for half an hour. it doesn't really matter how far you go just go jogging for a long time.

Appreciate the information, I'll start aiming for pacing myself out so I can go for X amount of time instead of setting a distance limit.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is 18:06 for 2.5 miles with hills good?

half my team got 16-:30 and the other half got like 20+

ran at van cortlandt in an invitational so nobody tried too hard

mayor's cup this Saturday though we'll see how people do there

You're young yet (and presumably doing XC), but the best 2 mile time I saw while running track was just under 10min, and by extension somewhere around 13-14 minutes for a 2.5. That's all flat. I'd say aim for 15-16 for really good times.

Up until late spring/early summer I used to run about 25 miles a week. I was trying to train for a marathon, something I want to do before I'm 35 (I used to want to do it before 30, but that came and went, so...). On Mondays and Fridays I got up really early, 5 or 5:30 or something and ran about 8 miles as the sun was rising - not very fast, about 8 minute miles. On Wednesdays and Saturdays I ran 4 or 5 miles but tried to push a little harder. Then sometime in June I busted up my knee at work, couldn't run for a a couple weeks, went on vacation, started smoking again, and ever since that I can't get over the 2 mile bump anymore... Just can't seem to push through... And my knee never completely healed.

Gear: Make sure you have decent shoes, but other than that, fuck all that technical shit. I just wear a cheap polo shirt (Uniqlo or H&M) and a pair of sweatshorts I had for years...

EDIT: waywt running edition anyone?

in high school, i only ran cross country because my coach told me to because he wanted me to build more endurance for long sprinting.

for me, the best part of it was "kicking" during the end of the race, and passing all those kids with my fast-twitch muscles.

i considered it my shining moment granted i was never exceptionally good at 5ks

i ran 2.6 miles last night after dialing back my run that last two sessions

that's the longest distance i've ever run (again i just started running 9/6/09)

felt really good. i just ran out of muscle. did a sprint for a half block before walking into my house and it felt nice.

i think i'll get to my 5K goal well before my target date of thanksgiving

i run better in cold weather. the heat of the sun usually saps my strength.

im running 8 miles today ( my longest ever) because i dont have money for the bus today... ill tell you guys how it goes.

thanks for making me feel supit i had to look up chloroplasts because i once knew what they were but not anymore... something about plants right`?

-oh yeah photosynthesis

now you have to explain to me how that's related to ozone in order to fully derail this thread

ozone damages respiratory system, plants(less oxygen), and polymers possessing olefinic or double bonds within its chain structure[rubber(bad for shoes) ]

so ozone sucks everywhere except the ozone layer

don't live in Houston or Los Angeles because they have high ozone levels

dd4038afe1e7b20aa70719065f28c0f5-1.gif

well it is finished.. duck, you were right. my back hurts, thighs sore, blisters... BUT i made it. with my gear:

S7302123.jpg

and i have leveled up my MENbership

oorah!!

i need to get back on my grind again. 3.5 miles a day.

missed three day of running and feel like a lazy p.o.s. now. plus the cooler weather is making me feel like i should be making soup instead of running

• 2 weeks later...