Native American styling?

tangerine

What's up with all the Native American design motifs?

Visvim, Vans, Richard Kidd...

Are these being produced by Native American designers? Or is this what is sometimes called cultural tourism?

How do you relate to these images of skulls with feather headdresses, the beaded fringe, etc?

ask a cassowary

Quote:

I really wouldn't think too hard about it. You'll end up either a raving lunatic or a sociology professor. I'm not sure which is worse.

--- Original message by gomi no sensei on Feb 19, 2006 11:07 PM

Yeah, don't you worry your pretty little head about it. Nothin to worry about. Just keep on consuming. Don't worry about the cultural tourism. I mean if gwen stefani can pay asian folk to follow her around then she isn't really exploiting them cuz she pays well... right? White folks have always made money off of other cultures and left them in the dust for the next fashion trend. Dating black men was so last year.

Quote:
Quote:

I really wouldn't think too hard about it. You'll end up either a raving lunatic or a sociology professor. I'm not sure which is worse.

Yeah, don't you worry your pretty little head about it. Nothin to worry about. Just keep on consuming. Don't worry about the cultural tourism. I mean if gwen stefani can pay asian folk to follow her around then she isn't really exploiting them cuz she pays well... right? White folks have always made money off of other cultures and left them in the dust for the next fashion trend. Dating black men was so last year.

--- Original message by rnrswitch on Feb 20, 2006 10:15 PM

We're not talking about child labor or slavery here, just a trend in fashion. I mean, were 70's-era punks exploiting nazis by stealing nazi imagery? Are the japanese exploiting cowboys because american western clothing is so popular there? I don't see how this is A) a uniquely white phenomenom, and B) how it's hurting the source culture. We're not talking about caricaturing of a culture here, just borrowed motifs, and it's been going on for thousands of years.

Save the moral high ground for something that actually matters.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by rnrswitch on Feb 20, 2006 10:15 PM

We're not talking about child labor or slavery here, just a trend in fashion. I mean, were 70's-era punks exploiting nazis by stealing nazi imagery? Are the japanese exploiting cowboys because american western clothing is so popular there? I don't see how this is A) a uniquely white phenomenom, and B) how it's hurting the source culture. We're not talking about caricaturing of a culture here, just borrowed motifs, and it's been going on for thousands of years.

--- Original message by gomi no sensei on Feb 21, 2006 12:26 AM

Wow, must be difficult to ask all the questions and then when someone gives you an answer just to get mad and take offense. I didn't mean any offense by what i said to you, but maybe more to the person I actually quoted in my response. I thought it was funny the way you brought up cultural tourism, but won't accept the consequences of it. I am not on the moral high ground cuz i buy into the same crap.

Quote: We're not talking about child labor or slavery here, just a trend in fashion. I mean, were 70's-era punks exploiting nazis by stealing nazi imagery? Are the japanese exploiting cowboys because american western clothing is so popular there? I don't see how this is A) a uniquely white phenomenom, and B) how it's hurting the source culture. We're not talking about caricaturing of a culture here, just borrowed motifs, and it's been going on for thousands of years.

Interesting that you bring up the punk appropriation of nazi imagery. Do you feel that this was also "just a borrowed motif", with no cultural or political implications? How long did that fad last, and why did it stop? I'm not trying to lecture, just trying to find out what people think about using motifs that may be culturally or politically charged.

There is no question that some Native Americans object to their imagery being used for "fashion."

What about the Rising Sun? How do people feel about that? In the west, most of the attention goes to nazi war atrocities, but what about the "Rape of Nanking"? Is the graphically beautiful rising sun image not also emotionally charged to some Chinese and Japanese? Or is that only "old people" who don't matter where fashion is concerned?

Finally, what is something that actually matters?

ask a cassowary

Quote:

A more important question is: Why is this in the Superdenim thread?

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Feb 23, 2006 11:10 AM

Haha, I can answer that. Because I wasn't paying attention! My apologies. This is the thread where I usually "hang out" and feel that I am among like-minded people... at least as far as denim is concerned.

minya, hap, wayne, chad, feel free to move as appropriate...

ask a cassowary

Edited by tangerine on Feb 23, 2006 at 11:14 AM

The punk nazi thing was meant to be ironic and poking fun at nazis.