GOLD COLLARED 18-25 year olds

yamakazi18

June 9, 2005 (8D)

'Gold collar' workers are out in force

'Under-represented' young subset pack a growing economic punch

By Sharon Jayson, USA TODAY

College kids may often be strapped for cash, but not all 18- to 25-year-olds are struggling to make ends meet.

About 17 million -- or 53% -- are working-class, with regular paychecks giving them a powerful economic punch.

"When I buy something, I don't really look at price tags," says Joyce Whitehead, 22, of Fort Washington, Md.

She attended one year of college at the University of Maryland, but she says that "money-wise, it wasn't the best thing at the time."

"I was a physiology and neurobiology major, and I wanted to go to medical school, but finances stopped me," she says.

Now she's working two jobs -- full time as a secretary at a federal agency and part time at a store in the mall -- to save money to go back to school this fall. Even with a savings account and 401(k), she says working at the mall makes it tough to save money.

Career Focus:

Discuss the factors that may have steered these young workers away from pursuing higher education.

How likely is it that those who delay college will eventually attend?

What factors played a role in your decision to attend college?

"I spend a lot," she says. "It's really ridiculous -- clothes, shoes, mostly CDs and DVDs. It's really bad. Sometimes I leave my car at home so I will not buy anything today. Once every two months, it's major shopping, but buying little things, it's like every day."

'Gold collar'

*More likely Hispanic and black men and women

*Work in service industry jobs including retail sales, food industry, security

*Often recent immigrants or children of immigrants

*Determine status through designer fashions, electronics and trendy purchases

*Often live with parents rather than independently

Source: Synovate

Whitehead is just the kind of new working class that the international research firm Synovate has dubbed "gold collar." This year, the firm, whose North American offices are in Chicago, outlined the results of a national survey of more than 2,000 young workers who have a high school diploma or less. About 35% have attended vocational school, community college or other post-high school education but didn't graduate.

"They live a different life, and they are underrepresented in research," says Ian Pierpoint, head of Synovate's youth-research division. "They have more money than students."

Although the study identified "gold collar" employees as a subset of "blue collar" workers, Synovate found these groups distinctly different in their beliefs and aspirations, he says.

"Gold collar" employees such as Whitehead tend to work in service industry jobs, from fast food to retail, or as security guards or office workers. They are an increasing economic force because of growth in the service sector, Pierpoint says.

Blue collar

*Primarily white male

*Work in industries with unions, such as plumber, electrician or carpenter

*Reject status consumption

*Stick to same friends, social pastimes and hangouts

*Value settling down and having a family

Source: Synovate

They are more often black (as is Whitehead) or Hispanic than white, and neither men nor women are in a rush to get married. They may be recent immigrants or children of immigrants. They do, however, spend money on name-brand items and have fully embraced popular culture and its notion of celebrity status.

"Blue collar" employees are more often white men and work as plumbers, electricians, carpenters or hands-on laborers. They marry younger than the norm (now 27 for men), have children at younger ages and follow more traditional lifestyles.

One such young worker is Nick Atkinson, an air-conditioning estimator from Round Rock, Texas, who is already a husband, father and homeowner at 21. "I was 19 when I bought the house. I got ma

• 2 weeks later...

HAHAHA GOLD COLLAR!!!

YO THATS SOME GOOD SHIT RIGHT THERE.

IMA STAY HOOD RICH TILL THE DAY I DIE!

FOOD STAMPS, WIC, MEDICAL, WITH A 05 BENZ SITTIN ON 22'S, THATS HOW WE DO...

CALIFONEYA BITCH.

HOPE YOU GET IT LATER