Q: Used vs used ripped

streamhub

When you buy a used jean in SUFU, would you expect to have a big mended rip? The seller did not mention that at all, I only found out when I took in to dry cleaners.

The seller said that rips are common on raw jeans, which is not true especially if the jeans were supposed to be worn for 3 months. And the stitch pattern is an L shape, which means that its more from a tear by catching something.

What would you do? And what you do think?

Guest jondg

Naming names would be a good idea in this case. At least I, as a lurker, would appreciate it. Your next post should be a name. Honestly. Unless you are one of those who buys old and expects brand fucking new.

BTW- Farmer is a great seller! For real. If I had rep. power I would give it to him. I think I'll go thank him for the Redmoon now...

The rip size is not small. The stitching length is about 2 inches and about 1 1/3 inch.

Sorry dude, this had to be at least call this out. BUT I wasnt planning to call you out but I guess you did. Now I have to ask for Paypal for some resolution.

Also, I told you this before I made a thread and also told you that I was going to make a thread to get people's opinion. I wasnt in for bashing you out.

BTW, if I buy something that I dont like or fit, I try to resell it like many other SUFU. BUT this is something completely different.

Yeah, passing the buck on something like this would just end up making you the bad guy.

I think lack of disclosure is straight up grounds for refund.

I wouldn't sell something damaged without making a full disclosure. This is a virtual community and certain standards have to be established and maintained for it to work properly and for people to feel comfortable buying.

you shouldve disclosed a rip like that. regardless of the size, its only fair you alert potential buyers. you say that you had no intention of deceiving him (or anyone else who may have bought them) but if that were the case you wouldve been happy to fully disclose the repair as part of your listing. The fact that you chose to post only a picture of the jeans folded further points to your guilt.

im not sure if its arrogance or some sort of retardation that has allowed you to convince yourself that a tear like that is to be expected after three months of "normal" daily wear. Id hazard a guess that im not the only one, who upon buying a $350+ pair of jeans, doesnt expect them to be torn within three months.

again my apologies to the buyer since he wasn't satisfied with the purchase, I've offered a partial refund which wasn't high enough in the buyer's opinion and was refused.

This wasn't some kind of hack job trying to rip him off or anyone else off, it really is small and unnoticeable in person, he had these jeans for almost 2 weeks and didn't personally notice anything until the cleaners said something. It really is that small that I had honestly forgot about it myself. Clearly lesson learned, next time I will post detailed pictures of everything.

and for buyer hopefully before he buys anything used he'd ask for additional pictures and description especially for a used item. In my opinion these jeans sold looked like a used pair of jeans, creases, stretching, marks, frays, fading, etc. Clearly I'm alone on this so like I said before, lesson learned.

See right there, that part I bolded?

You are the one selling something, you are responsible to post up a description and pics as complete and detailed as possible .

By stating that this was the buyers responsibility you are implying that one should do business on the supermarket with a "trust no one" mentality, which is quite the opposite of what we try to achieve really.

Yes perhaps the buyer should've asked for better pics, and should've inspected the garment better upon receiving it, but that doesn't really matter since you are still 200% at fault here, if the buyer trusts you and has no reason to believe that anything is wrong with the jeans, then why should he ask for more pics?

If the jeans would have a massive birdshit stain on them which you would then "fail to mention", how the hell would the buyer ever know to even ask if there is perhaps some birdshit on the jeans??? That rip shouldn't be there, and is just as unnatural to have on 3 months old jeans as a big splotch of birdshit would be...

You failed to include enough picture with your sale, and especially failed to include pictures of a repair, which in my opinion does not look like anything you'd expect 3 months old (though from the look of them I'd say 5 months or so...) pair of jeans to have.

And regardless of how big or small or unnoticeable in person that rip is, you did not mention it!

Used ≠ Ripped!

You should offer him a full refund of the what he payed plus the costs of shipping the item back to you!

Finally, a message to all, to prevent this in the future, make sure to properly inspect, describe and photograph whatever it is you're trying to sell!

We should have a picture minimum on sale threads or something...

If you weren't told about the rip (and it's not the buyer's responsibility to have to try to unearth these details) you have essentially been mis-sold "item not as described" so you unless you can reach an agreement with the seller you probably have grounds to flag the transaction as a dispute on PayPal or ask your bank to initiate a Visa/MasterCard chargeback to reverse the transaction.

rips provide oppertunity for character. repairs are where its at. send the jeans to me with return shipping and ill repair them at no charge. because i love denim and all my sufu peoples.....

(edit) i just realized they have been repaired, sorry for the irrelavance...

eitherway i dont think a hole like that should be a big deal. we should all be handy with a needle if we really care about the jeans....

again my apologies to the buyer since he wasn't satisfied with the purchase, I've offered a partial refund which wasn't high enough in the buyer's opinion and was refused.

This wasn't some kind of hack job trying to rip him off or anyone else off, it really is small and unnoticeable in person, he had these jeans for almost 2 weeks and didn't personally notice anything until the cleaners said something. It really is that small that I had honestly forgot about it myself. Clearly lesson learned, next time I will post detailed pictures of everything.

and for buyer hopefully before he buys anything used he'd ask for additional pictures and description especially for a used item. In my opinion these jeans sold looked like a used pair of jeans, creases, stretching, marks, frays, fading, etc. Clearly I'm alone on this so like I said before, lesson learned.

Last post by this username... :)

rips provide oppertunity for character. repairs are where its at. send the jeans to me with return shipping and ill repair them at no charge. because i love denim and all my sufu peoples.....

(edit) i just realized they have been repaired, sorry for the irrelavance...

eitherway i dont think a hole like that should be a big deal. we should all be handy with a needle if we really care about the jeans....

I dont mind having some character. Actually thats why I bought used. As I have said before, I might of still bought it even if I was told it had that rip. It didnt fit perfectly which is natural when someone else stretched it out.

The difference is that, if there was a non-natural rip, I would hope that I was told about it and adjust the price accordingly when the item was actually sold.

If you saw few pairs of jeans, one used and other also used with non natural rip, would you pay the same amount? This is different. He knew the big rip, He fixed it. He didnt state it. And I feel like I wasnt told.

Maybe you would like to buy the jeans. I will sell it to you for same price I got it for, since you dont think its a big deal. Deal? I will even pay shipping.

:)