Urban Outfitters

sybaritical

I have seen this a ton. I have an UO in a nearby shopping district to where my store is. I have seen design copies of a ton of companies. The most blatant have been rip offs of Topo Ranch and Steve Vintage. I also had a problem with their supervisory staff taking a lot of notes in my store, then a few weeks later either lines I carry or copies of the lines I carry turning up in their store. I fixed that probelm. The funny thing is I never even go in there, I just get a lot of their customers as well who "bought it at UO!" when I ask them about certain pieces. That is one of the reasons I have moved our merchandise into a new direction as well. Being an independant boutique that is "spied on" or "copied" like I have been will force you to get a little more exclusive with your merchandise mix. I feel for the JC peeople, but they are not the first, the most blatant, and I assure you they wont be the last. Sucks.

cupcakes are good. but sporting them? lets not get too carried away with whats really "cool" cause you know if you saw a guy with a cupcakes on his shirt you'd ask yourself the same shit... id bone a fairy but im not gunna have a fairy on my shirt as if its a hot new trend.

i guess i feel that there is a difference between design and artwork.

in my mind cutting and pasting an airplane and then adding cupcakes isnt all that novel. and lets be honest it probobly didnt take much time or creativity.

it is a much more blatant rip off if someone copies drawings or artwork.

i say basic simple design that isnt original to start with isnt protected anyway.

is something like

I @

NY

original enough to not be copied?

I had to do it:

Lazy Sunday

wake up in the late afternoon

call Parnell just to see how he's doin

Hello

What up Parn

Yo Samberg whats crackin

Thinkin what I'm thinkin?

Narnia

Man it's happenin

Got the hookup?

Yes, I stick it like duct tape

Let's hit up Magnolia

and mack on some cupcakes

No doubt this bakery's got

all the fine frosting

I love those cupcakes like McAdams loves Gosling

2, no 6, no 12, BAKERS DOZEN

I told you that I'm crazy for these

cupcakes CUZIN!

Yo where's that movie playin?

Upper West Side, dude

Well lets hit up Yahoo maps to find the dopest route

I prefer Mapquest

That's a good one too

Google maps is the best

True dat

DOUBLE TRUE!

68th and Broadway

Step on it sucka!

What you wanna do Chris?

SNACK ATTACK MOTHA F**A!

It's the Chronic (what) cles of Narnia

Yes the chronic (what) cles of Narnia

We love that chronic (what)

cles of Narnia

Pass that chronic (what) cles of Narnia

Yo stop at the deli the theatre's overpriced

You got the backpack gonna pack it up nice

Don't want security to get suspicious

Mr. Pibb and red bines equals

CRAZY DELICIOUS

I reach in my pocket pull out some dough

girl acted like she never seen a ten before

It's all about the Hamiltons baby

Throw the snacks in the bag

and I'm Ghost like Swayze

Roll up to the theatre

we're buyin what we're handlin

you might call us ill

from the way we're droppin hamiltons

We're parked in our seats

movie trivias the illest

What Friends alum

starred in films with Bruce Willis?

We answered so fast it was scary

Everyone didn't know but we screamed

"Matthew Perry"

Now quiet in the theatre or it's gonna get tragic

You're bout to get tickets to a train roll of magic

It's the Chronic (what) cles of Narnia

Yes the chronic (what) cles of Narnia

We love that chronic (what)

cles of Narnia

Pass that chronic (what) cles of Narnia

this is pretty typical. H&M sends teams of their designers out to the fashion shows in Milan and Paris and I think they rip out copies within 7 weeks and send them out to stores. Zara and Mango operate the same way too, but they are even quicker: it only takes 3 or 4 weeks. it's what you call vertical marketing! it's destroying smaller labels and shops...

especially in Europe, where H&M rules. i actually don't mind a lot of the designs, because they are OK quality for the price (as opposed to urban outfitters, which is hugely overpriced for its quality) but you can't walk 2 feet without bumping into someone wearing the same thing. and they use standardized buttons, so it gets awful boring really quickly

i've noticed h&m copying triple 5 soul too, carhartt, pretty much everybody. that's how it works!

Quote:

Totally off topic, but is Andy Samberg wearing a Supreme jacket in that 'Lazy Sunday' video?

When I first saw that clip, that's immediately what came to mind.

Now, on topic, that's some weak sauce, Urban Outfitters. For shame.

--- Original message by neawts on Jan 18, 2006 04:52 PM

Sure is. First thing that popped into my mind too.

With regards to the post above, isn't what JC doing in those cases that same was what FreshJive was doing with the whole Stussy thing, i.e. Parody?

Wouldn't necessarily equate the above examples with ripping off other ppls' work as compared to UO where they ripped off the whole thing.

Maybe if they had a plane dropping hipsters, that'dve been ok.

Quote:

With regards to the post above, isn't what JC doing in those cases that same was what FreshJive was doing with the whole Stussy thing, i.e. Parody?

Wouldn't necessarily equate the above examples with ripping off other ppls' work as compared to UO where they ripped off the whole thing.

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Jan 19, 2006 09:19 AM

now you're on to something!

Quote:

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Jan 19, 2006 09:19 AM

I dont think you realize how fucking genius that idea is.

"johnny" also ran a "everybody loves a cupcake" tee shirt. this was an original urban outfitters tee. j.c. used the same colorway, font & layout. would the nba, louis vuitton, or the wu-tang be happy with johnny's un-authorized use of thire logos? ripping logos is part of the tee shirt game now. seems like NO ONE has an original idea. not making any excuses but if you're going to call someone out better make sure you're clean.

miuzi weighs a ton

quote: ripping logos is part of the tee shirt game now.

has been for years... look at skateboards from the late 80's and early 90's, thats pretty much all it is... i think the problem with most of them today is that they just arent original... you can only refrence something so many times before it just gets played

denim is the new crack

Hate to admit it but I was in Turban Arselickers myself today trying to steal an actual paper garment price label for an upcoming project and got stopped by the security guard who made me hand over the top secret piece of branding. The irony!

While I was in there I noticed a couple of tees that looked like the ones Hard To Beat produced late last year.

Part of the reason for my last project was to underline the lack of copyright protection or even basic respect for fashion designs. The fact that my paintings were done on t-shirt cotton rather than cotton canvas removed any legal protection for them. This is bad for everyone.

A little history lesson.

Back in the 1820's in Manchester, England, the cotton fabric manufacturers and merchants dominated the world trade thanks to technological superiority. Unfortunately, the last area to be mechanised was printing of fabric, and producing copper rollers was so expensive that it was much better commercial sense to copy successful designs rather than to employ in-house designers. Only 10 years before, Manchester produced fantastic designs for the blockmakers but no longer. With a popular fabric design selling up to a million yards, the race was always on to find and copy the next big design. Sound familiar yet?

So, Manchester manufacturers and merchants started buying designs from Paris, which was to be honest becoming the more fashionable style of all types anyway thanks to big King Louis. The French didn't have the technological advantage but they had the most valuable market after the British because they sold quality. One major reason that they had quality was because they had good copyright. In England up to 1840, something had a different level of copyright protection dependent on the material it was made of and even the subject matter. A ceramic figurine of a lady holding some flowers would have longer copyright on the woman than on the plants, and even then the copyright would last just months. Bit like the t-shirts and the canvas huh?

So what the fabric manufacturers and most other decorative arts makers did was to lobby parliament for stronger copyright laws. This protected owners of good designs, encouraged innovation and investment in design talent, and showed that mass production didn't necessarily have to plunge to the lowest common denominator. Within 40 years, despite the lifting of the ban on exporting textile machinery, Britain's domination of the world textile trade reached its peak by supplying 85% of the world's cotton fabric. Not by slavery, not by forcing "natives" in the empire to buy British (Britain didn't run 85% of the planet, even though it thought it did) and not by ignoring the importance that design has in the marketplace.

It makes me sad when I see the shrinking Garment District in Manhattan because I see the same mistakes repeating as in 1820's Manchester. I have been in the design studios where whole competitors collections are purchased for copy and where drawing pads are replaced with 'reference' magazines covered with post-it notes. They don't call it copying of course, it's "inspiration". Well this time around, the company boss lives in Connecticut, the factory is in China and the poor designer is buying time in Midtown Manhattan, facing the same fate as his predecessors nearly 200 years ago.

The bottom line is, you need to tighten up the law and educate the consumer. I saw a tee in UO that was similar to one I produced last year. The fact is that mine was painted, it was one of a kind and was made for a specific person and that person got it for free. I know which one has value.

There will be a backlash against phoney fashion and I think it will come from the amount of fake vintage crap around. I mean - Abercrombie & Fitch please. Even Haute Couture is feeling it after all the dilution and branding of names so far that Armani now has a store next to a frickin candle store at the outlet village. And designers want to be respected?!

I am at the early stages of a project with

Hate to admit it but I was in Turban Arselickers myself today trying to steal an actual paper garment price label for an upcoming project and got stopped by the security guard who made me hand over the top secret piece of branding. The irony!

While I was in there I noticed a couple of tees that looked like the ones Hard To Beat produced late last year.

Part of the reason for my last project was to underline the lack of copyright protection or even basic respect for fashion designs. The fact that my paintings were done on t-shirt cotton rather than cotton canvas removed any legal protection for them. This is bad for everyone.

A little history lesson.

Back in the 1820's in Manchester, England, the cotton fabric manufacturers and merchants dominated the world trade thanks to technological superiority. Unfortunately, the last area to be mechanised was printing of fabric, and producing copper rollers was so expensive that it was much better commercial sense to copy successful designs rather than to employ in-house designers. Only 10 years before, Manchester produced fantastic designs for the blockmakers but no longer. With a popular fabric design selling up to a million yards, the race was always on to find and copy the next big design. Sound familiar yet?

So, Manchester manufacturers and merchants started buying designs from Paris, which was to be honest becoming the more fashionable style of all types anyway thanks to big King Louis. The French didn't have the technological advantage but they had the most valuable market after the British because they sold quality. One major reason that they had quality was because they had good copyright. In England up to 1840, something had a different level of copyright protection dependent on the material it was made of and even the subject matter. A ceramic figurine of a lady holding some flowers would have longer copyright on the woman than on the plants, and even then the copyright would last just months. Bit like the t-shirts and the canvas huh?

So what the fabric manufacturers and most other decorative arts makers did was to lobby parliament for stronger copyright laws. This protected owners of good designs, encouraged innovation and investment in design talent, and showed that mass production didn't necessarily have to plunge to the lowest common denominator. Within 40 years, despite the lifting of the ban on exporting textile machinery, Britain's domination of the world textile trade reached its peak by supplying 85% of the world's cotton fabric. Not by slavery, not by forcing "natives" in the empire to buy British (Britain didn't run 85% of the planet, even though it thought it did) and not by ignoring the importance that design has in the marketplace.

It makes me sad when I see the shrinking Garment District in Manhattan because I see the same mistakes repeating as in 1820's Manchester. I have been in the design studios where whole competitors collections are purchased for copy and where drawing pads are replaced with 'reference' magazines covered with post-it notes. They don't call it copying of course, it's "inspiration". Well this time around, the company boss lives in Connecticut, the factory is in China and the poor designer is buying time in Midtown Manhattan, facing the same fate as his predecessors nearly 200 years ago.

The bottom line is, you need to tighten up the law and educate the consumer. I saw a tee in UO that was similar to one I produced last year. The fact is that mine was painted, it was one of a kind and was made for a specific person and that person got it for free. I know which one has value.

There will be a backlash against phoney fashion and I think it will come from the amount of fake vintage crap around. I mean - Abercrombie & Fitch please. Even Haute Couture is feeling it after all the dilution and branding of names so far that Armani now has a store next to a frickin candle store at the outlet village. And designers want to be respected?!

I am at the early stages of a project with