Japan and Outdoor Gear

vinz

After reading a few posts about Gregory day-and-a-half packs and the Visvim hikers on the What you're wearing today posts got me wondering why does outerwear, packs and hikers have such a big following in Japan?

I can see maybe in terms of quality and maybe the climate may be reasons why outdoor items are well liked. But is seems that things like the Gregory day-and-a-half and the Red Wing 875, have some kind of cult status there. Is there any other reasons other then quality and heritage?

www.youngestincharge.com

Edited by vinz on Jan 13, 2006 at 04:52 PM

i don't think it has anything to do with the climate but more just of a fashion trend. kind a like a couple years ago when everyone was rocking The North Face jackets and stuff and you knew most of these people were not at all into outdoor winter sports. and like you said, the quality of outdoor sports manufacturers is usually pretty much the best in terms of bags and outerwear.

dude, you dont know how cold it gets in japan (even tokyo) during winter.

plus, a lot of people use public transportation in japan and also travel on foot all the time

Edited by herpsky on Jan 15, 2006 at 11:57 AM

Quote:

you know what i dont get... bape hoods are the biggest yeah?? but isnt japan really humid and warm??

--- Original message by witts on Jan 13, 2006 03:38 PM

you watched the karate kid, right? That was supposed to be okinawa and filmed in Hawaii or something!

Tokyo`s climate is more like NY. Hot and humid in the summer, cold in the winter with a severe windchill , snows sometimes. Then as you go north of Tokyo you got tons and tons of snow. kinda like Hoth. Japan definately has 4 seasons.

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.