Cut & Sew: What Is It?

arem

Can someone briefly explain the differences between a cut & sew piece (say a hoodie) and a less expensive piece. WHy are they better? Who makes good ones? Why do they cost so much more? I was trying to explain to someone why Alife's zip up hoodie is $140 but couldn't do any better than "It's a cut & sew piece". What should I say so I know what I'm talking about? Thanks all...

Cut & Sew normally refers to when the seller (in this example, let's use ALIFE) actually goes out and gets a manufacturer to produce the hoodies according to their own specifications (fit, cut, materials, etc) as opposed to using a ready-made hoodie (like AA, etc)

The cost involved in producing your own clothing (tshirts, hoodies, etc) is considerably more expensive than buying readymade as there's the whole setup costs, production minimums, etc.

triniboy27 is more or less correct, actually. "Cut and sew" refers to contracting a firm to 'cut and sew' your garment to your specification and using your supplied fabric. So, for example, I could provide my ultra-badass, pricey textile and have a cheap(er) or specialized contractor put it together for me. It's more control & individuality on your end. You'll get a more consistent silhouette across your product line this way.

Edited by macuser3of5 on Jan 12, 2006 at 10:45 PM

Edited by macuser3of5 on Jan 12, 2006 at 10:47 PM

yeah cut and sew basically has to do with getting a piece made that isn't derived from a generic body

it usualy refers to garments that aren't just plain t shirts or plain hoodies. A scott Langton blazer would be cut and sew. It geenrally refers to more dressier items, but it has snice been adapted to street wear and such

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]