American Apparel: Over rated

Artielives5

Sorry, but even if Hanes is now selling slim-cut tees and hoodies - which I doubt - I see no evidence on their web site that they have anything remotely approaching the variety of colors and styles that AA has.

Complaining about AA quality control issues is valid. Pretending that Hanes has the same product is silly. Or maybe there is another, secret Hanes web site? Do tell...

ask a cassowary

the way i see it, regardless of their business practice or whatever, their product isnt something NEW and original per se, but its a classic staple of what we wear. its the perfect combination of stylish and blank and comfortable. the reason i dont think they are overrated is that people know about their obvious quality control issues, and their prices which are higher than what id expect.

i say regardless of business practice because thats a whole different story. a story i dont know much about other than that the owner is nutty. nutty in the way that i could be his friend and still say 'what a fuckin psycho'

Quote:

Does anyone know what the fit is like on Fruit of the loom Ts? Like, their "lofteez" or "heavy cotton" shirts? Are they similar to American Apparel? My plan is to find a brand that makes good t-shirts and just buy a bunch of them.

--- Original message by Artielives5 on Jan 4, 2006 11:51 PM

I don't know about Fruit of the Loom tees, but I own one of their hoodies and I hate it. Far too wide and far too short. For short, fat guys only.

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

AA is good.

I like plain t shirts and was having a rough time finding good one that didnt cost $50. A few years back I must have hit about 5 stores looking for a plain navy-blue t shirt. Gap had some wierd blue color that season, fonally bought at Kmart about $6 each. quality was ok, cotton was fairly stiff. Also bought a few Hanes from walmart while at the beach a few summers ago, better cotton...

but overall AA is my favorite, when I need a few t-shirts I know they have the plain shirts, good cotton, right colors without having to go to kmart or walmart which are completely hit or miss... There may be room for improvement, but I have been happy.

I actually ended up being able to try on a fruit of the loom T. I just went to my local target's mens section where they have a ton of lame Screened shirts, so I just found one that was printed on a FTL shirt and tried it on. It turns out you guys were right. At least on the medium (target doesn't carry small) it fit pretty poorly. Like Gildan shirts, the sleeve kind of flailed out instead of hugging the skin, so you have little wings (think raglan Tshirts). My theory is that the big arm holes, and extra short sleeves are to blame. Well, the search continues I guess. By the way Delta sucks too. Anvil?

the t-shirts are $14..i hardly consider this expensive and i think the quality is generally pretty decent, the cotton feels nice and soft and fit is slim which is what everyone likes...isn't it? and they do have dressing rooms so you can try the clothes on first....so what's the problem? all this complaining from a bunch of kids who pay between $50-$100 for a t-shirt with a crumby silkscreen on it. gimme a break.

Jockey used to make barnone the BEST fitting plain Tees on the planet till they decided to change thier style to a more "Roomier Fit". American Apparel wishes they could have made a shirt as good Jockey's classic fit. I was so disappointed when I bought a package just to see what they had changed and the cloth was flapping all over the place. icon_smile_sad.gif

The quality was fantastic as well, I still have the same shirts that I bought almost two years ago with no holes, rips, or tears and I used to wear these shirts day in and day out. To this day whenever I put one of the last few remaining shirts on when I head out I always get complimented on how well they fit...sigh.

Edited by marquischacha on Jan 7, 2006 at 05:06 PM