Where can I get rivets? No replies in the "small questions thread"

Amada

I tried asking this in the small questions thread a while ago, but it got buried quick.

Where can you buy rivets for jeans? Online is OK, US stores is also OK.

I'm not talking about crap. I mean, maybe some Wal-Marts and Joanne Fabrics have something other than crap, but mine don't. I'm looking something with a little more than hollow-back rivets and with a modest or at least inoffensive collection to choose from.

...what are these things called, anyway?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/vintage%20levis/IMG_7557.jpg

This is the best I can get for copper rivets that don't look incredibly cheap (ex: a hollow insert vs solid back, practically all store-bought jeans I see have solid backs instead of holes through the pin).

https://www.tandyleatherfactory.co.uk/pc-81670-230-copper-rivets-burrs-9.aspx

ANY input would be great. I have tried contacting one company (I believe it was Scovill) about ordering from them but they never e-mailed me back.

This is the best I can get for copper rivets that don't look incredibly cheap (ex: a hollow insert vs solid back, practically all store-bought jeans I see have solid backs instead of holes through the pin).

https://www.tandyleatherfactory.co.uk/pc-81670-230-copper-rivets-burrs-9.aspx

ANY input would be great. I have tried contacting one company (I believe it was Scovill) about ordering from them but they never e-mailed me back.

^^ that's a pretty nice rivet you found there... I'd be very happy with it. Washer and burr rivets (hole/pin) are arguably more 'authentic' than dome (solid) rivets anyway, and if you do it right you'll get the denim pushing through the rivet, which looks great. My only worries would be that a) 12pounds for 50rivets is very expensive, but fine if you;re only doing this on a small scale, B) how are you going to put them on? I'm not sure a hammer alone will be good enough for this type of rivet c) these are intended for leather right?- check the burr part (the pin) isn;t going to be too long for what you need it for- if it;s meant to go through thick leather you may find it'sticks too far out of your jeans (presuming this is for jeans?!)

also, as far as I know Scovill was bought up by YKK and no longer exists as a standalone organization. YKK only do wholesale, so i don't think you'll have any luck with them on a small scale. Please correct me anyone if i'm wrong on this...

what;s this for anyway? pics please:)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying sooner! I've been very busy with the holiday season. I actually have to buy Tandy Leather's 12 gage rivets (hope I'm saying this right) and burrs. The 9 gage are too big to use everywhere, and I think also as hidden rivets on the back pockets, but that's all subject to testing. The only problem is I'm not sure how to get a logo onto them without spending hundreds of dollars. I know you can buy tools gunsmiths use to emboss and I could just put a simple letter on the back and front of the rivets, but I'm not really sure what would be best.

I don't have any pictures because there's no product, but I'm constantly working on designing my own jean line, branding and all. It's just a fun side hobby - I'm getting the required pieces by their determined difficulty to acquire. It's really fun to draw up different back pocket designs. I'm considering the denim and thread the easy part. ;]

What I want the most are the WWII laurel buttons like they have on repro and original Levi's. They make things similar to them out there, but they all have some stupid number of stars, like 3 or 5, with no good reason for it.

• 1 month later...