the greek system

shagnscoob

I got nothin against the Greek system personally...some of my best times in college were spent partying within it, even though I never joined.

Well if you really need something to turn you off, here's one: The Elephant March. I think it only applies to a certain Asian frat though.

My school has one of the 3 largest greek populations in the country or so i hear. It's pretty prominent and impossible to ignore. They essentially run the student government and positions and make the decisions on minor things most people don't care about. A lot of them here view it as another way to be popular and cool, as popularity from high school does not carry over the college, nor is it really important on a big campus. It allows students who are used to that kind of social hierarchy to pretend that it still exists in the educational world by competing and hating on other fraternities/sororities and feeling a sense of self-worth, despite being no different than every random college student.

Some people enjoy this though, so let em'. None of my good friends from high school joined, and none of my good friends in grad or end up undergrad are in them. I do have 2 friends who once were in one but now are inactive. I dunno. Whatever gets you off i guess.

I have no idea how your post moved down here from the middle of the thread (delete, repost?). Regardless I still find the edit unacceptable without a (6) at least.

You're saying the system isn't bad/like the stereotypes (rapey, douchebaggy) despite the fact that the system is run by a majority of people who perpetuate the stereotypes (rapists, douchebags). Am I missing something?

In defense of the Frats, it's actually great preparation for the business world that the members want to enter. Moreso than anything else in college.

I have no idea how your post moved down here from the middle of the thread (delete, repost?). Regardless I still find the edit unacceptable without a (6) at least.

You're saying the system isn't bad/like the stereotypes (rapey, douchebaggy) despite the fact that the system is run by a majority of people who perpetuate the stereotypes (rapists, douchebags). Am I missing something?

I'm saying that, yes. Fraternal organizations, through the values that they encourage/theoretically demand from their members, community service, and other things, are positive. Theoretically, being in a fraternity should be a very respectable thing to do. I'm sure when most of the fraternities were founded, brotherhood and helping others, community service, etc. were all very important and there was none of the YEAAAAAAA BRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIIIMME TO RAGEEEEEEEEEE shit.

The sad thing is that currently, fraternities are not run by the douchebags/people who enforce the bad stereotypes. Those people are the members who join that don't give a shit about brotherhood or about any of the ideals that the fraternity encompasses, and can't be bothered to contribute more than the bare minimum. The people who are partying constantly while barely making passing grades.

Holding important officer positions in a fraternity is pretty time consuming and you have to really embrace all of the positive stuff, including the principles that the fraternity was founded upon to justify all the work you're putting in (unless your only goal is to put it on your resume or something I guess). Those are the people who are really running things.

Most of my friends that I went to high school with ended up in fraternities. I'd wager that most of them joined only so that they could have greek letters on their chest, which would grant them access to the best parties and give them better odds at fucking some hot chicks.

I have one friend though who is an officer and doesn't really drink and hates a lot of people in fraternities in general. He goes to national meetings for his fraternity and shit and really digs the brotherhood and embraces all the ideals and all that and will probably consider himself a member for life.

It's kind of sad how douchebag faggots have tarnished the reputation of fraternal organizations and probably all the founding fathers are rolling in their graves.

I've never pledged nor am I in a fraternity; this is just information i've gathered talking to my friends.

tl;dr frats aren't stupid, shitheads in frats are stupid.

Is that more clear, hang the dj?

some sororities have realllllllly cute asian girls i want to get after.

i'm considering joining one, even though it's my last year. why not? I have the cash.

Actually holy shit, this is interesting:

2 quarters frat dues = 1 NdG overcoat piece.

I wonder how many julius coats = 1 car.

i don't believe fraternities and sororities have anything inherently negative about them. as with any organization, they are often times unfortunate enough to have those "douche bags" and "shit heads" that perpetuate the stereotypes already established regarding greek life.

on the other hand, the "elephant walk" and the "soggy cookie" are insanely nasty, eughh.

^^^^ explain

if i'm paying $ to join i'm sure as hell not participating in homoerotic activities.

just heteroerotic activities.

elephant walk i've heard variations of, but the main one i hear is you walk around with one thumb up the butt of the guy in front of you and the other in your mouth. should your thumb slip out of the guys butt, then you have to switch thumbs.

soggy cookie (or soggy biscuit) : everyone stands in a circle, and has to jack off on a cookie or pastry on a stool in the middle. the last one to jack off has to eat it.

i don't know the particular orgs that do these things, and they could be myth, but disgusting nonetheless.

elephant walk i've heard variations of, but the main one i hear is you walk around with one thumb up the butt of the guy in front of you and the other in your mouth. should your thumb slip out of the guys butt, then you have to switch thumbs.

Clearly you've never done an elephant walk.

You walk naked in a line grabbing the dick of the person in front of you.

Seriously though, fraternities are pretty awesome. Instant access to the finest poon on campus and you are invited to the best ragers all year.

A lot of girls at my school who joined sororities have beer bellies now. Its amazing how fat they got in such a short period of time.

not only that, but they fart more and their bedrooms smell like overused flip flops, you know, the kind with a slight platform that has the text 'Smells like Couture'

i'll pass.

I'm saying that, yes. Fraternal organizations, through the values that they encourage/theoretically demand from their members, community service, and other things, are positive. Theoretically, being in a fraternity should be a very respectable thing to do. I'm sure when most of the fraternities were founded, brotherhood and helping others, community service, etc. were all very important and there was none of the YEAAAAAAA BRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIIIMME TO RAGEEEEEEEEEE shit.

The sad thing is that currently, fraternities are not run by the douchebags/people who enforce the bad stereotypes. Those people are the members who join that don't give a shit about brotherhood or about any of the ideals that the fraternity encompasses, and can't be bothered to contribute more than the bare minimum. The people who are partying constantly while barely making passing grades.

Holding important officer positions in a fraternity is pretty time consuming and you have to really embrace all of the positive stuff, including the principles that the fraternity was founded upon to justify all the work you're putting in (unless your only goal is to put it on your resume or something I guess). Those are the people who are really running things.

+rep. i was in a fraternity in college, and had a great time. brohymm's quote is exactly accurate. aside from all the bad, which definitely exists, there's lots of good too (community service, leadership, friendship, etc.).

also came away with some great hazing stories. here are my favorite two:

-pledge class matches up with a sorority pledge class. each guy is paired off with one girl and handcuffed to her. the pair is then taken to a field somewhere at night and given a picnic dinner. handcuffed to a hot girl completely alone, eating dinner, drinking wine. left there. all the food has laxatives in it. and the guy is handcuffed to the girl. and they're left there. all night.

-pledge class is presented with a washbasin full of ice cream and told to eat the entire thing. they start and will inevitably get sick and protest that they can't finish. the brothers tell them that there's a surprise at the bottom but they have to finish to get it. they finish the ice cream. the surprise is a VHS. it's a video of all the brothers taking turns jerking off into the basin of ice cream.

i had a great time.

I joined one too. Didn't really get hazed though, worse thing I did was having to go to 7-11 (half a block away from my dorm) and deliver food to the brothers (1.5 blocks away) for them one night.

But other than that, yeah, it's true, you have bros who just want to party all day and don't really care about the ideals and stuff, and you have bros who genuinely care about brotherhood.

Idk, I joined a smaller one, so it was less stereotypically "fratty" than most, a guy from the national org. came to our chapter one semester and literally told us to "stop being so anti-frat".

Anyways, like I said, I didn't really get hazed, but our house is owned by another frat. They got kicked off of campus because they lilked to play a game called "Donkey Kong". Our stairways are reinforced on the landings becuase brothers used to throw kegs down the stairs and make pledges run up the stairs while jumping over the kegs.

But that wasn't why they got kicked out, it was cause they started wailing on pledges one day with baseball bats and one got sent to the hospital.

+rep. i was in a fraternity in college, and had a great time. brohymm's quote is exactly accurate. aside from all the bad, which definitely exists, there's lots of good too (community service, leadership, friendship, etc.).

also came away with some great hazing stories. here are my favorite two:

-pledge class matches up with a sorority pledge class. each guy is paired off with one girl and handcuffed to her. the pair is then taken to a field somewhere at night and given a picnic dinner. handcuffed to a hot girl completely alone, eating dinner, drinking wine. left there. all the food has laxatives in it. and the guy is handcuffed to the girl. and they're left there. all night.

-pledge class is presented with a washbasin full of ice cream and told to eat the entire thing. they start and will inevitably get sick and protest that they can't finish. the brothers tell them that there's a surprise at the bottom but they have to finish to get it. they finish the ice cream. the surprise is a VHS. it's a video of all the brothers taking turns jerking off into the basin of ice cream.

i had a great time.

a) feces must turn you on and

B) no homo

well. lets remember, thats exactly what they are. stereotypes.

im in a frat and ive never walked around blindfolded in a room being lead by another mans hand pulling on my man's penis while yet another man behind me is being led by my hand pulling on his penis. iv never found myself naked and blindfolded in any position, actually. coming into my fraternity skeptical of the greek system's sterotypes, i was ready toes to the door if at any moment i felt degraded or made to look submissive. i have also never even come near to associating with anyone whos got a connect on roofies, wears abercrombie shorts and bent/frayed brim hats and striped polos, uses the word bro in complete seriousness, listens to seether/nickelback etc etc etc....what i became part of is essentially a large, tight-knit group of friends sharing a lot of common interests as well as membership to a historically well-run, respectable organization. at least on my campus.

its all relative. i feel like i would never be able to do this at 9 out of 10 schools, especially them big shits in the midwest. i guess im just lucky for finding that 10% unaccounted for under the douchbaggey stereotypical fraternity designation.

well. lets remember, thats exactly what they are. stereotypes.

im in a frat and ive never walked around blindfolded in a room being lead by another mans hand pulling on my man's penis while yet another man behind me is being led by my hand pulling on his penis. iv never found myself naked and blindfolded in any position, actually. coming into my fraternity skeptical of the greek system's sterotypes, i was ready toes to the door if at any moment i felt degraded or made to look submissive. i have also never even come near to associating with anyone whos got a connect on roofies, wears abercrombie shorts and bent/frayed brim hats and striped polos, uses the word bro in complete seriousness, listens to seether/nickelback etc etc etc....what i became part of is essentially a large, tight-knit group of friends sharing a lot of common interests as well as membership to a historically well-run, respectable organization. at least on my campus.

its all relative. i feel like i would never be able to do this at 9 out of 10 schools, especially them big shits in the midwest. i guess im just lucky for finding that 10% unaccounted for under the douchbaggey stereotypical fraternity designation.

Abercrombie is not fratty, neither is the midwest, neither is nickelback.

Vineyard vines, east coast (south), and Old Crow Medicine Show.

oh, i should add that neither of those stories happened to me or at my house. worse thing that happened to me was getting dropped off in newark with no money with my pledge class and told to be back to the house in 3 hours with a bucket of fried chicken and a 40.