The Real London

xianDAbaptist

I've been to London for business, done all the touristy things - Harroods, Harvey Nics, British Museum, Portb. Rd., and had a decent curry. I'm going to hang out for 3 days this January and am looking to do a more authentic round.

I've searched some of the previous other posts on SF for places to go and shop in London. I'm not looking for Maharishi, Evisu, Visvim, and etc. joints. I'm looking for original places somewhat off the radar. Are there any A-Life equivalents or decent places to go? I've heard mixed reviews about Brick Lane.

Thanks, folks. Appreciate any feedback.

btw: looking for delicious meals at reasonable prices.

peace be with you

xian

How about Hideout? Dover Street Market? Not sure if that falls into your range of stuff you're looking for.....

Can anyone else contribute to this? I'm actually heading over to the UK this week and would also like to know where else is worth hitting other than the usual Covent Garden/Harrods/Selfridges stuff?

Hopefully you guys will be here during sales, otherwise it could be a little pricey in some spots.

Dover Street Market - Comme joint full of avant garde shit, big range of raf simons, some more "street" stuff like the tabletop by Hiroshi Fujiwara.

Hideout - HP, supreme, neighborhood, visvim, all "those" kind of brands. Cool shop, cool staff, but kinda hard to actually find good stuff (sells out quick) and not too hot in sale time.

Pinneal Eye - More avant grade stuff, owned by some japanese cats. Interesting store, a little offbeat and underrated.

House 33 - Seems to be getting more hype off the internet lately (some blog said it was London's equivilant of Supreme - I wouldnt go that far though). Small super friendly boutique. nice tees.

Browns - high-end fashion galore. all the top labels.

For maharishi shit, try the store in covent garden. They also have stuff in Selfridges. Also, theres the DP-MHI store that mostly sells their cheaper line MHI.

Edited by mrmax on Dec 19, 2005 at 01:45 PM

Quote:

Hopefully you guys will be here during sales, otherwise it could be a little pricey in some spots.

Dover Street Market - Comme joint full of avant garde shit, big range of raf simons, some more "street" stuff like the tabletop by Hiroshi Fujiwara.

Hideout - HP, supreme, neighborhood, visvim, all "those" kind of brands. Cool shop, cool staff, but kinda hard to actually find good stuff (sells out quick) and not too hot in sale time.

Pinneal Eye - More avant grade stuff, owned by some japanese cats. Interesting store, a little offbeat and underrated.

House 33 - Seems to be getting more hype off the internet lately (some blog said it was London's equivilant of Supreme - I wouldnt go that far though). Small super friendly boutique. nice tees.

Browns - high-end fashion galore. all the top labels.

For maharishi shit, try the store in covent garden. They also have stuff in Selfridges. Also, theres the DP-MHI store that mostly sells their cheaper line MHI.

Edited by mrmax on Dec 19, 2005 at 01:45 PM

--- Original message by mrmax on Dec 19, 2005 01:43 PM

Thanks mrmax.

Appreciate the tip. Any dish on ethnic dining or good, affordable eats?

Peace be with you.

Of course I always recommend that people head to Sketch on Conduit street, and Shell out £140 for a main course, because it's obviously so worth it icon_smile_big.gif. But if you're prepared to travel then london is littered with cheap, wonderful "ethnic" places to eat - for really good vietnamese head to any one of a bunch of places in Dalston and Hackney which is east, or Pakistani regional food in Tooting, which is South. Central you pay more but there are still options - off the top of my head There's an amazing and subtley stylish Thai place on Wardour St called Busabai eat thai which I would recommend - canteen style shared benches and amazing food that'll set you back about £15 for a good meal but if you want food proper on the run then there's a bunchof japanesebudget diners sprinkled over the west endor you could try Mr Jerk in Soho for dirt cheap wholesome caribean food.

I'm on the run so pony up a PM if you want addresses and I'll look them out later.