question about Jay Z and color swatches, young jeezy

telluride11

Quote: And to whoever said the Jay-z / Linkin' Park collab CD was amazing is utter bullocks.

sorry djrajio it was me who said that. i was being sarcastic. I agree about the Donald Trump thing and was just pointing out that however great his past work was, this is where he is at now.

jjs home

Whatever you think hip-hop is a worldwide thing, the biggest selling rap artist where i live is SCRIBE a samoan/nz guy, second biggest is another guy from here.

If you were as schooled as you make out you would have known that Kool Herc invented the style in the bronx

http://www.jahsonic.com/KoolHerc.html

I understand that you may be sheltered in the US, but believe me it is a big world and lots of stuff happens that you may not know about.

teisco.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So wait you just said the industry is full of ghost writers as an attack on a person who doesn't use ghost writers? I don't see the logic

As far as the knock at hip hop as it being all beat and marketing blitz, I don't wholly buy it. Its composed, packaged and sold like ALL music. Every genre has their BLack Eyed Peas, so I'm really not factoring that into the equation, but as far as rapping goes, Jay says crazy shit, deep shit, party shit, and all that. Dude just is on point, the prime example is the scene on "fade to black" when he's being interviewed about the actions of other rappers, and literally his answer are the words he put in songs from years prior. Its whatever though, in my opinion No one in music has said anything more worth hearing, but everyones got their own favorite and some aren't giong to agree

I don't see him as donald trump, because he's worked with THE SAME producers as everyone else, he's just gone above and beyond, and exceeded most of his peers, in sales, relavance, and power

linkin park I can't speak on their skills or ability, that whole collaboration was about selling an additional million of a previously recorded album that already had Jay's relevance

Hap-roll.gif

Quote: jjs home

Whatever you think hip-hop is a worldwide thing, the biggest selling rap artist where i live is SCRIBE a samoan/nz guy, second biggest is another guy from here.

If you were as schooled as you make out you would have known that Kool Herc invented the style in the bronx

roll.gif

I know who kool herc is and wheres he's from. I was born in the bronx. Herc invented innovations where on the frnot of Djing and producing, not rapping. Dude had jamacain roots, and varied sounds, but that really doesn't mean anything in relation to rap.

as far as the best selling rappers from whereever you're from, that shit don't matter.

The biggest rappers from here effect much of the rest of the world, where as whoever those random dudes you mentioned are NO ONE over here, so look at that. Its world wide, but damn near the only place that makes Hip hop that effects anyone else is America anyways. Its whatever though I'm not saying it don't matter because its not american, it just doesn't matter because it hasn't traveled the equal distance as American hip hop

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

Edited by jjs home on Dec 22, 2005 at 01:14 AM

Quote: as far as the best selling rappers from whereever you're from, that shit don't matter. selling a small number in a small place is whatever, and their backgrounds dont matter either

Just to be clear I am from Auckland, New Zealand. the biggest polynesian city on earth. Yes it is a small place and the relevance outside of the south pacific of these artists may be debatable.

By the same token when you live in the South Pacific, guys in New York rapping about how rich they are just sounds silly, now I'm not even trying to argue with you about this I just think that with your very narrow definition of rap music you may miss out on something.

EDIT: As for history, when you get someone like Feelstyle, mixing in ancient Samoan Chants, or Dam Native doing a similar thing with Maori. It has traveled the whole Pacific in a Canoe. Is that far enough for you??

teisco.gif

Edited by haptronic on Dec 22, 2005 at 01:30 AM

My narrow defintion of rap is a devirative of the music that comes directly out of the mouths of people who invented rap and hip hop, or who grew up where hearing RAP and Hip-Hop before it was even being packaged to be sold to people ni new zealand.

You say Jay-Z talks about bullshit, and I'll say he talks about the shit that happens EVERYDAY in the lives of people who grew up where HIP HOP grew up, and I know this because I'm from here and I grew up with the shit being involved in my life. You are speaknig from the point of view of someone who studied hip hop, and I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who lived it.

I'm happy you like our music, but don't think you can tell me about it when the shit 905 of our rapper talk about are derived from OUR way of life. You can't even tell me what most Jay-Z lyrics mean or how they relate to life IN america whereas I could break down his material word for word. Bottom line its you who don't know, not me

you don't even know why dude said "while I was on the peter pan bus, you was puttni peter pan up in your room", and even if you figured it out, you wouldn't know means in relation to life

and as far as your edit goes, no fuck them fuck the canoe as far as rap goes, because that shit isn't hip hop, you are talking about some samoan shit. i respect their music, but the shit that traveled around the world in a canoe never had anything to do with hip hop before whoever that no name dude came on to being trying to infuse it with rap. its cool he's repping his culture off the back of our music, but even still now after dude said it, to 99% of the world and people listening to hip-hop it still doesn't matter. Maybe if Jay-Z did it it would, because it would actually reach other people. Just because some samoan raps doesn't mean everything he did or his whole culture did before rapping was hip hop, that logic just makes zero sense to me

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

Edited by jjs home on Dec 22, 2005 at 01:45 AM

I'm not telling you about your music. I am saying the influence is waning.

Where I live there is a strong Polynesian hip-hop culture. Now while jay'z may be relevant to you and where you live, it doesn't mean very much here, [as you illustrated with your quote].

It is not just NZ either check the UK hip-hop/grime/garage/D n B is forms of music with MC's singing about their own lives.

Also the original culture that Rap came from is still going strong in Jamaica, 'rapping' about what goes on there.

This happening all over the world. So while The Bronx is where it started, it now belongs everywhere.

teisco.gif

EDIT: snapshot I only mentioned Scribe to illustrate that local is where it is at.

Edited by haptronic on Dec 22, 2005 at 02:04 AM

Man have you guys seen Fade to Black. Jay-Z actually comes up with songs in his head and he makes a full song just by listening to the beat a few times and never writing anything down. The dude is gifted. He's also worth 320 million dollars the guy must be doing something right. I heard he just signed the Roots also. The song structure of "Meet the Parents" is amazing, that song plays out like a movie.

www.youngestincharge.com

Do you realize how rediculously off base you go when you bring this shit up?

I fail to see how the influence is waning when you have these rappers who were ignored 20 year ago being international celebrities nowadays and selling many millions more copies of CD's

as far as the UK or whatever, they still be pulling all types of American rappers into their country to do shows, and go to award shows, and appear in magazine shit, so I dunno.

"Also the original culture that Rap came from is still going strong in Jamaica, 'rapping' about what goes on there."

yeah raggae and dancehall is still doing them but that STILL doesn't mean shit, because then according to that logic America and probably Australia and new zealand are still part of the united kingdom. Its illogical and unreleated

As far as whats "going down in the BRONX", or what you really mean as whats going down in american hip-hop, you litle fellas are still a ways away from not being on our meat, because you have the privilidge of the knowledge to actually develop a crappy opinion of Jay-Z, while out here the name of your best seller, Scribe, still means means adsolutely dick

The advantage of being from a small place, is that i get to hear stuff from everywhere, full stop.

The truth is i never said that Jay'z was bad, all i said was that his marketing skills [or net worth] has nothing to do with whether his music is any good, and that his collaboration with Linkin Park

was not only lame but a lame thing to do [Walmart makes lots of money too doesn't mean it's good].

The fact that you haven't heard Music from NZ [whether hip-hop or other], has got nothing to do with it's quality, or even availibility [you have the internet]. It may even benefit you to search for music outside of your neighbourhood, you might even like it.

teisco.gif

what it worth hearing everythuing if you can't understand what 90% of it means in reality anyways

as far as for what you said, blah blah blah blah, whats your opinion worth if you dunno shit about what these people are actually saying. All you are basing this off of is your vague concept of what linkin park says and means, and of of your vague concept of what jay-Z says and means. Your opinion just can't be taken seriously. maybe it was lame TO YOU, but according to 1 million smoething people who actually have the capabilities to understand Jay-z's words it was worth the money. You even thinking you can judge anything Jay-Z does as lame is hilrious, because you smoe dude frmo some nut ass place talking about shit you can't comprehend, and he's a rich ass international celebrity that is still seen as the king of cool. Be real, you just have somelinkin park, and probably to a lesser degree Jay-Z angst, so you lay under a rock waiting for the opportunity to bitch about how lame it is. you run all across this board waiting to do it. its funny, its llike you are insecure about it or something, like can't nobody live without your approval when again your some random ass dude from some country that 90% of people living don't even know exists. chances are more people across the world know Jay-Z is before they know what New Zealand is. Thats not a good thing or a disrespect to New Zealand but damn if it ain't true, and you need to get that thruogh your head before you act as the hater of all things

Fuck NZ music, if the dudes apprecaiting it can't comprehend music on my life then the dudes making it proly can't either, and I could give a fuck aabout some rapper from samoa humming about some shit while he's trying to rap, probably poorly. Nothing dude says can make any more sense to my life growing up where I'm from then jay-Z so its whatever, its unneccessary eevn.

this is some strong shit. im from the UK i can, appreciate jay's lyrics, man the opening verse to "threats" made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up the first time i heard it, jay is sick. as for the NZ hip hoppers... it might be big in NZ but its never gona reach the dizzy hights of jay's fame is it? i mean the UK scene is still tiny here with only maybe three artists actually getting recognised in the charts and radio. the problem with that scene is there is talent out there .. but theres 2many retards mc's tryna make videos and jus been totally whack!

overall jay z is in a totally different league to the NZ hip hop so dont compare.

jay z = legend and current GQ MAN OF THE YEAR now that cant b bad?

quote: If you were as schooled as you make out you would have known that Kool Herc invented the style in the bronx

but if you really look at it hes jamaican, and the style he had was just the reggae DJ style of the time. in my eyes hip hop is reggae that grew up in NY. listen to some big youth, u-roy, or any of the DJs from the 70s, they are light years ahead of early hip hop.

Quote: Point blank period Jay gets the respect of all of hip-hop, and the people from the places hip-hop was born so, if you can't chances are you aren't. Beyond that dude makes great music and sells, so its whatever. Calling a musician who has the respect of the masses, critics, unreleated demographics for his music a sucker makes you more look the part. The same dude also gets similar respect of business's, business people and millionaires for his moves in their domains as well.

i'm sorry, but to me, jay is a good business man maybe, but a great musician? i dont know, to me there is greater lyricits out there...and for a fact, jay never done alot of shit he claim he had in his life, he never was a thug as he claim to be, he might be from the ghetto, but he never lead a gangster life.....he is just like puffy, they both created a mirage for u to believed in

Quote:
Quote: Point blank period Jay gets the respect of all of hip-hop, and the people from the places hip-hop was born so, if you can't chances are you aren't. Beyond that dude makes great music and sells, so its whatever. Calling a musician who has the respect of the masses, critics, unreleated demographics for his music a sucker makes you more look the part. The same dude also gets similar respect of business's, business people and millionaires for his moves in their domains as well.

i'm sorry, but to me, jay is a good business man maybe, but a great musician? i dont know, to me there is greater lyricits out there...and for a fact, jay never done alot of shit he claim he had in his life, he never was a thug as he claim to be, he might be from the ghetto, but he never lead a gangster life.....he is just like puffy, they both created a mirage for u to believed in

--- Original message by 6MT on Dec 22, 2005 10:03 AM

and you would know this how?

Dude you live in New York? Can you honestly say that a good number of people there don't hustle?

I don't live in New York but when I was there in the summer you can see how Jay-Z music would speak to the urban people. Jay-Z give people ghetto stories, of what he seen and what he did. I mean I don't live in a huge ass city like New York but I've known quite a few drug dealers where I'm from, you saying that Jay-Z couldn't have dealt drugs like he said? I've know mad nerdy kids become the biggest gangsters while growing up. I mean I've ran from gangs, saw gang fights, have friends get shot, visited friends in hospitals from getting shanked, heard about people I knew that were tortured and executed and dude I'm just a regular guy from a regular city. Can you honestly say that Jay-Z just fabricated his whole persona and not lived through what he raps about living in Brooklyn?

www.youngestincharge.com

Quote:

Dude you live in New York? Can you honestly say that a good number of people there don't hustle?

I don't live in New York but when I was there in the summer you can see how Jay-Z music would speak to the urban people. Jay-Z give people ghetto stories, of what he seen and what he did. I mean I don't live in a huge ass city like New York but I've known quite a few drug dealers where I'm from, you saying that Jay-Z couldn't have dealt drugs like he said? I've know mad nerdy kids become the biggest gangsters while growing up. I mean I've ran from gangs, saw gang fights, have friends get shot, visited friends in hospitals from getting shanked, heard about people I knew that were tortured and executed and dude I'm just a regular guy from a regular city. Can you honestly say that Jay-Z just fabricated his whole persona and not lived through what he raps about living in Brooklyn?

--- Original message by vinz on Dec 22, 2005 12:33 PM

actually u will be suprise how music industry fabricate stories all the times...

and its not like i never live thru the life u lived,

I think you've been misled. i grew up in Trenton New Jersey, where Jay-Z actualy did hustle back in the day. Dude was pretty big time for out here as its been explained to me by people who still live here and nkow him.

As far other circumstances go, dude kept company with Calvin Klien, the major drug dealer from New York, not the designer, who was a known street multi-millionaire back in the 80's and 90's, so take that as it goes

and dude was sending Cristal bouquetes and cases to the various record companies and radio station when he was courting them to either pick him up for deals or play his music, so thats literally a grand or two a pop just to deliver a single. People I spoke to when niterning at Capitol Records in New York, the parent company of Priority, Jay-Z's first label, Also said Jay-Z waspaid, and would laugh at them or brush them off when they wouldn't front him the funds he needed, telling them not to forget it, he'd pay for it himself.

So I dunno, I've been fortunate enough to just be in lpaces where that type of information is accessable, but maybe you can give us actual reason behind why what you say is true.

Dude if you had lived through some of the things that I did, then why couldn't Jay-Z have lived through a crazier life?

I'm pretty sure the dude wasn't sheltered. Unless you have sources that know the guy personally then you can prove me wrong. But I don't find it hard to believe that Jay-Z dealt drugs and had a trife life back then.

I mean I know that people in music there are people that fabricate stories about their criminal lives, I mean not all of them are killers, drug dealers or murderers. Even if they dealt it might be small time.

Man I ain't mad at anybody. I just get tired of all the people that keep on saying how Hip Hop sucks, how they wanna hear a new Illmatic, or how the old Tribe is good. How Jay-Z, Kanye West, Young Jeezey or any big time rapper sucks. Or they love people like Sage Francis, Buck65 or any other dude that rhymes about science or weird shit. I've been listening to Hip Hop since 88, I loved all the music that came out in early nineties like Brand Nubian, Souls of Mischief, Black Moon, but I still embrace the music we have today, not only the big time rappers but the indie ones too like Mr. Lif, Murs, Jedi Mind Tricks. All the bragging about power, skill, money and wealth is just a variation of the rhymes that Special Ed, Run DMC and a lot of pioneers wrote.

Dude if you had lived through some of the things that I did, then why couldn't Jay-Z have lived through a crazier life?

I'm pretty sure the dude wasn't sheltered. Unless you have sources that know the guy personally then you can prove me wrong. But I don't find it hard to believe that Jay-Z dealt drugs and had a trife life back then.

I mean I know that people in music there are people that fabricate stories about their criminal lives, I mean not all of them are killers, drug dealers or murderers. Even if they dealt it might be small time.

www.youngestincharge.com

Edited by vinz on Dec 23, 2005 at 10:16 AM

Quote:

Forget Hip Hop, this is a pretty good battle right here!

NZ has a much better scene than Australia over here, but comparing Scribe to Jay Z in any way is a bit much...

Anyone who likes Hip Hop has at least one Hova song that they bump...

--- Original message by snapshot on Dec 22, 2005 01:41 AM

while i agree nz is better off than australia, that aint saying much

i respect the support nz artists get from their community but they truly hype anything and everything these days and it results in way too much going into cats like scribe who just dont stand up

only talent as far as im concerned is pmoney and hes slowly going the route of kanye west if he were cashing welfare checks