Moving to London/NY from Copenhagen

W Klenow

I'm really tired of Copenhagen. It's nice, safe and clean, but also pretty boring. There's not much going on, and every time I go out I meet the same people at the same parties. Same old. Cultural life is so-so and so is shopping. I guess the only thing that's really great is public transportation, haha. Everyone that I find interesting are trying to get away as quickly as possible, and I'm seeing the people I like the most move abroad. So I feel stuck in Copenhagen while life is going on somewhere else.

Anyways. I'm thinking of moving abroad to either NY or London, but to be honest, I don't really know where to start. I'm 22, halfway through a bachelor's degree in business management and philosophy. I Have worked as a journalist intern at a fashion mag, as a media/publicity analyst in a large new/media/publicity/whatever agency, done some logging in movie productions, done some recording-to-paper scriping, modelling and some other random stuff. Is there any way to get a job that pays enough to support myself in either London or NY and paying a rent on whatever 35m2 flat I can get or is it out of the question? Has anyone done anything similar? I'm blank, so any input what so ever is very welcome. I know the smart move would stay in CPH and finnish my bachelor and then start on my master's abroad. But that option doesn't seem too tempting right now.

giving the current economic crises and the fact that NYC and London are by far the two cities that were the most affected, i would think twice before moving there right now.

i think you will find it extremely hard to find an internship where you get payed, especially in the field you are looking for.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. That sucks. Maybe a way to do it would to try and get into a school in one of the two cities and apply for a schoolarship here in Denmark. Also people here are paid to study, and studying abroad would earn me about $900 each month from the Danish state. But is that even close to being enough? I guess I'd need two or three times as much, am I right?

There is a possibility to find a cheaper apt. right now but you'll need a job beforehand as there isn't a lot of work out there unless you want to break legs for Fat Pete, whose business is booming.

Yeah, I actually checked out gumtree and loot websites and it looks like it's possible to find somewhere to live. The thing is, as you say, a job. Unfortunately I'm not really the leg braking type, so I'll have to figure out something ... dunno if I have any connections from my earlier job. Damn recession makes this a lot harder.

I'm assuming because you're danish that your english is pretty fluent, so it shouldn't be all that hard to find bar work in London. I'm from Stockholm and a friend of mine went over to London recently, hoping to further his career in jazz and photography and he's currently working in a bar. According to him, it seems much more difficult finding DECENT accommodation in a desireable location than to find work in hospitality. I guess $900 a month can help cover rent but you'd definitely would want to be working also. I'd personally rather live in NY...

Nice to know regarding jobs, thanks!

Why would you rather live in NY?

I'm assuming because you're danish that your english is pretty fluent, so it shouldn't be all that hard to find bar work in London. I'm from Stockholm and a friend of mine went over to London recently, hoping to further his career in jazz and photography and he's currently working in a bar. According to him, it seems much more difficult finding DECENT accommodation in a desireable location than to find work in hospitality. I guess $900 a month can help cover rent but you'd definitely would want to be working also. I'd personally rather live in NY...