Why do celebrities wear military jackets with Rank on them. Who thinks this is stupid?

damnIam

I am not talking about the fashion jackets, I talking real Marine Corp etc. dress blues with somebody else's rating on the sleeve and a bunch of medals. I saw one performer (can't remember exactly which awards show) but he actually had a marine corp jacket with (along with many other medals) a purple heart. Is nothing sacred?

I can understand from a perspective of someone that's in the military, but a lot of fashion deals with taking something out of its normal context and just appreciating the aesthetic parts of it. The same reason people wear basketball shoes or jerseys and don't play.

Hmm..i think there's a difference though between military-inspired wear (the slew of M-65 jackets on the market is a good example) and taking something wholesale like a military jacket that includes rank insignia as well as medals, etc.

It's almost disrespectful to the people who earned the right to wear them.

Quote:

^ yeah

its one thing to make it seem like you could be in and and1 mixtape , its something else to try and rock a purple heart like you earned it from being a high bidder on ebay

--- Original message by Ryan on Nov 22, 2005 10:51 AM

I don't think many people even know what most of the things on the military jackets they purchase at surplus stores or thrift markets even mean. I don't really believe anyones trying to come off as if they earned a certain medal unless they're actually boasting about how they fought in so and so war. I think people are looking way too into this, most people wear these things because point blank, it looks nice/cool/whatever..not because they're trying to give off the impression they're actually former soldiers.

I really don't think a skinny kid in jeans with a Dress blue marine corp jacket with an ARMED FORCES EXPEDITIONARY MEDAL or PURPLE HEART would ever be mistaken for a vet either. I just think it looks dumb . And I am pretty sure most folks know what a purple heart is. IT's purple and it is shaped like a heart. Currently, the medal is being given out like hotcakes and most of the guys getting them are missing arms and legs. IT IS NOT A FASHION STATEMENT and NOR should it be. Just an old vets opinion.

Quote:

I really don't think a skinny kid in jeans with a Dress blue marine corp jacket with an ARMED FORCES EXPEDITIONARY MEDAL or PURPLE HEART would ever be mistaken for a vet either. I just think it looks dumb . And I am pretty sure most folks know what a purple heart is. IT's purple and it is shaped like a heart. Currently, the medal is being given out like hotcakes and most of the guys getting them are missing arms and legs. IT IS NOT A FASHION STATEMENT and NOR should it be. Just an old vets opinion.

--- Original message by damnIam on Nov 22, 2005 11:28 AM

I totally get what you mean. I've had a very similar conversation with the commercialization of Catholic rosaries, which was brought up when someone talked about a Dolce & Gabanna version. As you said though, it comes down to a matter of opinion.

I'm an extremely proud Marine and have seen celebs and people on the street wearing medals and ranks that I have earned, but I really don't take any sort of offense to it. If I had the choice I would prefer they wear military inspired clothing, but if they wear actual issued uniform items its not a big deal. Its all on how you look at it. I understand they are doing it, because they appreciate the whole military asthetic. Imo, so long as they are not trying to perpetrate themselves as something they are not I don't think it is a big deal. I do think some of them look a little stupid though, and I do think there should be consideration given to not wearing certain medals ie. The Medal of Honor, Purple Heart, Silver Star etc...

honey, you're my religion

Even though you haven't yet expanded

To include a heaven after

Even though I have demanded it

Edited by LIVENUDEGIRLS on Nov 22, 2005 at 12:51 PM