Illustration / Illustrators

Servo2000

Coraline looks wonderful... think I might go out and see it if it's playing around here.

Actually, reminded me of one of my favorite cartoon ilustrators (animators) - Gendy Tartakovsky's Samurai Jack. Obviously owes much to manga and Japanese traditional styles, but it takes queue's from art-neuvo, art-deco and other classic and contemporary forms. One of my favorites ever. One of the best things about it was that he never relied on lines, but rather color blocking to create the characters.

samurai-jack-backs-02.jpg

biskup_Samurai-Jack.jpg

SJ2.jpg

Samurai Jack was definitely amazing - we were talking about him at the last NY meet-up since he came to RISD and me and worm both managed to miss him for one reason or another. Definitely disappointed. Loved Dexter's laboratory and just about anything he's ever done, honestly.

Just checked to see what he's up to and apparently he's story-boarding for Ironman II? Sounds like an odd decision but could potentially make the film actually worth seeing if the action sequences he plots out are anything like the ones from Jack.

• 1 month later...

got an e-mail from Ian Miller recently with some of his trademark photoshop strangeness but I don't think I should post it here so here's a random piece of work from his site

moonboatsweb.jpg

He's got a strange website and an odd way about him - the entire time I spent with him in Canada he acted as if he had an imaginary dog with him at all times and would insist on space and consideration for it wherever we were. He's a great guy and I hope to see him again soon.

Anyway, his website: http://www.ian-miller.org/

I'll try and scan some of his work that we have - I think my dad has one of his really big concept sketches from working with him on the last movie project he was on in addition to a few smaller original works we've bought from him.

yessir

The sense of action in this thing is awful but it's just cheesy enough that it appeals regardless. I'm not an enormous Hughes fan by any means but I think his stuff is fun and stands out well enough in a pretty jaded marketplace.

Cosign.

I'm a fan of Bill Sienkievicz's works.

bill_sienkiewicz_01.jpg

MC_Elektra_Sien.jpg

newmutants22_cover_full.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

bringing it baaaaack

i thought this would appeal to illustration heads as well as dum

james jean x sasha grey

AE6F4D_detail.JPG

CA7A9E_detail.JPG

D95FC1_detail.JPG

BFA260_detail.JPG

C1AB60_detail.JPG

I don't know if I've posted about him before but James Jean is crazy talented. I like his final illustration work but if you check his / blog store it's got the better work / sketchbook stuff that's really fantastic.

Eyvind Earle

old-school guy. maybe best known for doing tons of work for Disney in the 1950s. they tried to rip him for that awful new movie Open Season - the art book for the movie is actually awesome. Some really great concept work / backgrounds / etc... but the movie didn't translate it at all. Too bad.

eyvind_earl_yosemite_large.jpg

The%20Rock.jpg

Winter%20Oak.jpg

and then a link to some work by my father / a close friend of ours for a disney game that's been in the works for a long time and was recently officially announced: http://kotaku.com/5325198/this-looks-like-art-from-warren-spectors-steampunk-disney-game

• 3 weeks later...

Asaf and Tomer Hanuka - I don't think they've done any other animation work but they seem to have been pretty influential on the style of the animation so you could check them out.

Cool collection of rejected sketches from Jillian Tamaki. Love process images and rejected sketches - good illustrators have such great ideas in these things.

lordoftheflies31.jpg

Selection from Sam Weber's illustrations for Lord of the Flies more. Book is for the Folio Society or whatever which costs like $400 to join in the first place so not going to be getting my hands on this thing, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...