Illustration / Illustrators

Servo2000

Didn't seem to have one of these threads (for whatever reason) but I always love to just see as much and as many illustrators as possible. Post your favorite, a few your just a fan of, something weird or something cool, just anything. I do a pretty good job of keeping up with the fairly popular guys / some of the up-and-comers so hopefully some of you know some good ones I've missed.

I was looking at James Jeans's site when I made this thread. Quality.

I'm gonna get shit from comic buffs but Jim Lee is one of my favorites. Sorta the embodiment of the new school aesthetic at its most commercial (late 80's onwards)

I'd say any of those guys that left marvel for the formation of image were great. wildcats used to be awesome.

http://dethpsun.com/ is also a cool guy. had him draw me up an orginal a while back.

• 6 months later...

Bringing this back and taking a break from the comics.

Alright, I'll meet you halfway and start with a comic cover.

Hellblazer_The_Fear_Machine-02.jpg

Phil Hale is up there for "most ripped off in fantasy illustration annuals" and understandably so. He's really talented and he just keeps getting better - I know his piece The Interrogators won in it's section (editorials, I believe?) in Spectrum 15 this year and it's a great piece.

Hellblazer_The_Fear_Machine-01.jpg

Detail.

hale_clown.jpg

hale_run.jpg

His illustrations for King's Gunslinger series were so fucking good.

hale_sit.jpg

Nice to see someone in the fast-paced world of editorial and fantasy illustration still doing, as near as I can tell, absolutely everything in oil.

Didn't think I'd do more than one but my download isn't finished and the David Polonsky opening was yesterday over at Brown so why not - I first heard about him for his work on Waltz With Bashir which I still want to see but he's also well enough known for his book illustrations and his work on A Moonless Night I'm especially fond of.

picture19n.png

picture18s.png

From Waltz With Bashir - by my understanding he oversaw the conception of the style and oversaw the overall art direction.

picture17h.png

picture16o.png

picture15y.png

From A Moonless Night.

I'm extremely fond of Cam Kennedy's work, especially with the Dark Empire series. Probably one of the best works of post-Lucas Star Wars around. His limited palette in the books makes it extremely atmospheric and visually stunning. Wish he had continued on with the style in his other work (Judge Dredd, 2000AD, Jekyll & Hyde, amongst others), but his character styling and use of highly prismatic imagery is eye catching. Tried to find some good examples of his work:

SWT18-FC.jpg

from Boba Fett

de2destroyer.jpg

panel from the Dark Empire series

blacksoldier.jpg

from Light & Darkness War

I've got a real love for some of the greats of the 40's and 50's so here's one I was reminded of while looking for one of his textbooks for reference today - Andrew Loomis. He's done some really good work and some real crap (in my opinion) and I think his drawings are often as good as if not better than his ultimate illustrations. Which is somewhat unfortunate since good examples aren't easy to come by online.

4912424243d0bbad67fb.jpg

74879474196585f456.jpg74879440cce430f681.jpg

I much prefer this latter piece (the dancer) to his oft-lauded and referenced mermaid one or whatever which is much weaker in my opinion.

I believe by now it's possible to download Creative Illustration and it's absolutely and utterly worth it for anyone in the field. Physical copies by now are worth hundreds of dollars so unless they've done a recent re-printing I wouldn't even look.

i like justin sweet but sometimes he'a btit too frazetta

http://justinsweet.com/

like justin sweet a lot

some of his stuff uses a bit too much of that of that really stylized concept art shorthand / digital kind of stuff for me, though. I'd prefer he'd borrow more from Frazetta than from that sort of thing - but I'm the last to complain that something is too Frazetta so don't ask me anyway

Just for the hell of it, here's a piece my dad did a while back that I liked that I found online recently.

mummyfiltered.jpg

some of his stuff uses a bit too much of that of that really stylized concept art shorthand / digital kind of stuff for me, though.

i agree 100%

i can't stand that shit

but his stuff has that same storytelling ability that i found in frazetta that i love so much, which is why i like him

even if i don't dig the style entirely

your dad is good

yessir

Nouveau_Leia_Print_web.jpg

How awesome is this faux noueveau image? I'm saving my SD Comic Con program with this thing on the cover so eventually i remember to get it onto the wall.

SDCC_web.jpg

The sense of action in this thing is awful but it's just cheesy enough that it appeals regardless. I'm not an enormous Hughes fan by any means but I think his stuff is fun and stands out well enough in a pretty jaded marketplace.

love that shit

I'm lookin into Graphic Design major as my double @ Parsons... hopefully I can take some illustration courses somewhere in the mix. I suck at drawing anything realistically, but I wanna train my hand as it stands.

Mike Mignola, even if he's sorta in that new tradition of rick-shod sketchy/shadowy noir illustration. Can't mess w/ Hell Boy.

Amazing Screw On Head (Pilot)

Eduardo Rossi, especially with his work on 100 Bullets

risso100bullets32pg21.jpg

Something very compelling and simultaneously amateurish and non-linear about it.

samp-100bullets.jpg

Mignola is the king of that shit and he's a master storyteller aside so he gets all sorts of a pass. His page layouts are really impeccable - great sense of time. He really respects the idea of 'noir' that he bastardized with his fantasy world to a much greater degree than most others I can think of.

That and Amazing Screw on Head is hilarious.

I really sort of hate 100 Bullets but he is talented. I can very much see the appeal but it's never clicked with me regardless.

Somebody might have mentioned Tadahiro Uesugi earlier but I bring him up because apparently he worked on the Coraline film and as I followed up on it I ran across some other people who had worked on it and the overall work on it is really fucking fantastic.

Tadahrio Uesugi

tadahiro02_Coraline-TadahiroUesugi-02.jpg

The branches in the image make it so dynamic. This is probably my favorite piece he did that I've seen.

tadahiro04_Coraline-TadahiroUesugi-05.jpg

Jon Klassen

021.jpg

I don't know if this actually was used in any promotional material but it should have been if it wasn't.

016.jpg

012.jpg

001.jpg

Chris Turnham

realgardenwide.jpg

Stef Choi

coraline-mom.jpg