Japanese denim in europe

hiro

European distributors for almost every Japanese denim brand already exist.

I was thinking of importing japanese denim to europe and sell it online and maybe in some stores. I just want to know how big the interest are in europe and what brand do you guys prefer.

Hi Hiro

Apart from what Kiya said that most of the Jap brands have distributors in Europe already, if you want to sell them online, why do you think someone would pay you the extra money on top of what they could pay buying online themselves from already existing stores?

i think you should sell japan evisu, edwin vintage, sugar cane and samurai

In the UK, Edwin and Sugar Cane are pretty easy to find. Japanese Evisu would be prohibitively expensive, as they'd be priced relative to the Heritage No. 2 denim and the EU line. And I believe that Kiosk 78 in Leeds are looking at stocking Samurai at some point in the near future...

It was just a thought the whole thing. It´s just that I have a huge interest in denim that I somehow want to work with it in the future so I was just looking for the possibility of maybe importing jeans. Right now I work with something totaly different. Thank you for all your answers.

Don't know about the rest of Europe but in Manchester you can pick up Sugarcane, SDA, Kato , Lee Japan, Edwin and I believe Skull and KMW may be on their way as well as some decent Euro brands such as APC, Red Ear, Pace and Garbstore and if your elsewhere there is Kiosk in Leeds and Superdenim and Ironheart online, a crowded market for a niche product !

I have heard that habadashery in stockholm might start selling samurai jeans!

jupp, there are several stores planning to sell samurai in the future. haberdashery is just one of them. nevertheless, no distributor for samurai in the eu, mainly due to legal issues (guess who I am talking about).

as far as I understood it, the european stores are currently negotiating with the biggest distributor outside of asia and samurai directly. nevertheless, some announced to have samurai in stock month ago (e.g. haberdashery), but they do not up to now.

... a pity!

What Europe is totally lacking is an online/local superstore like BlueInGreen and SelfEdge in the US, or Take5 in Hong Kong. Not to mention the various stores in Japan!

So far, the best denim sources in Europe are Lewis Hull of Superdenim.co.uk (Distributor for Studio D'Artisan and Real McCoys, also offering Kato, Denim Demon, Lightning Magazine and Free & Easy Magazine) and Giles Padmore of The Flat Head Europe and Iron Heart Jeans (both brands Distribution and direct Sale).

Both guys are heavily pushing their brands in Europe (see local and online shops in Europe likewise), and do no doubt think about extending their scope on japanese denim (Get me those DryBones, Samurais, ... to Europe!)

If somebody is going to pull off something big in terms Japanese denim in the EU, I hope it will be one or both of them, as my experiences with them were very positive and pleasant!

Until then, I think there is no alternative for Europeans - get yourself a Japanese or Asian store, which understands basic English, and order there!

By the way, some are always complaining about the prices in Europe. This might be true for some of the online/local stores, but if you compare the prices from e.g. the above mentioned they are 1:1 to their American counterparts - to be exact the US counterparts are usually 1:1, without adding customs and sometimes even shipping on top! The only way to get denim cheaper is by ordering directly in Japan/Asia. And if your shipment does not pass customs, you might end up with the same price again!

Agree with Aether there. it's good the market is far from saturated as it keeps it niche and far from the mass-market selvege shit such as uniqlo, gap, top man etc etc.

The only problem is that there is nowhere really to physically try the items on and compare fit, but then this site covers that pretty well.

By the way, some are always complaining about the prices in Europe. This might be true for some of the online/local stores, but if you compare the prices from e.g. the above mentioned they are 1:1 to their American counterparts - to be exact the US counterparts are usually 1:1, without adding customs and sometimes even shipping on top! The only way to get denim cheaper is by ordering directly in Japan/Asia. And if your shipment does not pass customs, you might end up with the same price again!

I never quoted myself before :D

It would be convenient, but how much do you think we'd end up paying for them? I bet it'd be ridiculous. And I'm quite glad we have to seek them out, it'd be awful if they became trendy.

Aren't they trendy already??

That doesn't bother me anyway. Ever since buying my first pair of Edwin Nashville's nearly 10 years ago from Interstate in London I've only bought selvedge jeans, and unless you want to keep buying the same pair again and again it becomes a hassle.

Aren't they trendy already??

That doesn't bother me anyway. Ever since buying my first pair of Edwin Nashville's nearly 10 years ago from Interstate in London I've only bought selvedge jeans, and unless you want to keep buying the same pair again and again it becomes a hassle.

I'm not fussed about the latest fashions either.

I suspect you, I and most of the other Sufuers, are more into the quality and detailing. Besides, Sams and their ilk are on the whole too low key for the masses so I doubt they'll ever be anything but a niche product.

But as much as I enjoy a look around Interstate and American Classics, I do quite like the fact that you've got to take a leap of faith when buying your Sams and just hope that they fit, it all adds to the appeal for me.

how much to send japan evisu with one red one white gull?? size 31 waist 34 long

I don't think Hiro has set anything up just yet!

But I'd get them from the source (there's probably a link on the Evisu thread). And if you don't speak Japanese, use a proxy like Sharpservice and he'll be able to arrange the arcs and hemming. Plus Hide-san is a top guy.

I've only ever proxied Sams. But from memory the no.1 denim in the Evisu shop were around 30,000 yen, custom painted arcs were a little extra. I'm not an authority on them, but you may want to have a look on the Evisu thread, lots of devotees on there who will no doubt be able to help.